Unread 02/24/2010, 12:58 AM   #427
DJPB
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
i have a SM 250 on my 170
get what you get go for the 200 or the 250

the mini's are crap trust me I have had both 180 and the 200
Why do you feel the mini's are crap? Just wondering as I'm considering a 200 for my 180g. Thanks

DJPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2010, 10:13 PM   #428
Laverna
Registered Member

Question on BK skimmer with surges

Hello everyone,

I am in the midst of setting up my new system and am about to pull the pin on my skimmer purchase but ran into a problem. I will be running surges in the system and the sump level will vary by roughly 3 to 5 inches at any given time. I had planned on using an in sump model but am wondering if the flux of water will effect performance. I am very short on space for a external.
BTW the system total will be roughly 500 gallons and I get a little heavy handed with the phyto and feedings.

Thanks

Current Tank Info: 1000 gallons total. Too much equipment to list!
Laverna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2010, 10:25 PM   #429
asmodeus
SKIMMER WHORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPB View Post
Why do you feel the mini's are crap? Just wondering as I'm considering a 200 for my 180g. Thanks
I ran the 200 on my 150 its was ok, but its just wasn't what i thought all this hype was about. however your contact time isnt there. Its great and all, its stating that its rated for 265 gal. I really dont see it. I have a 250 SM on my 150 and its keeping it super clean. I could really probably use a SM 200 would work too go the extra $$ and get the SM model

Unread 02/25/2010, 08:05 AM   #430
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laverna View Post
Hello everyone,

I am in the midst of setting up my new system and am about to pull the pin on my skimmer purchase but ran into a problem. I will be running surges in the system and the sump level will vary by roughly 3 to 5 inches at any given time. I had planned on using an in sump model but am wondering if the flux of water will effect performance. I am very short on space for a external.
BTW the system total will be roughly 500 gallons and I get a little heavy handed with the phyto and feedings.

Thanks

You would need to go external with a sump that fluctuates that much. Or if you could baffle up an area of the sump that wouldn't fluctuate, but I'm not sure how much room you would have to do this?

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2010, 08:08 AM   #431
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
I ran the 200 on my 150 its was ok, but its just wasn't what i thought all this hype was about. however your contact time isnt there. Its great and all, its stating that its rated for 265 gal. I really dont see it. I have a 250 SM on my 150 and its keeping it super clean. I could really probably use a SM 200 would work too go the extra $$ and get the SM model
Glad to hear your SM is rocking for you. The Mini's are not really touted as the best performance based skimmers on the market, but more the best performer out there combined with quality of construction and efficiency / quietness in that small of a footprint. If you had enough flow through in your sump, the Mini 200 could handle a 265gal tank with no problem though. For comparison on this, check out all of the old TOTM pages on RC back in '02/'03/'04/'05, etc.... when we used to run heavily loaded sps tanks that were this size with EuroReef CS8-2 skimmers, etc. It's definitely possible.

Post some pics of your SM sometime, I'd like to see it in running in your sump!

Unread 02/28/2010, 05:14 PM   #432
justinbarstow
Registered Member

i have a 30 gallon bio cube w/ a hob refugium but no sump.i was looking at the bk 200 external and i have 2 questions 1) is there any way i can use that w/ out over skimming the tank ( would really like to find a way too). second. i am assuming the external means it is a recirculating skimmer? meaning i can hook it up outside the tank via a feed pump and have it dump back into the tank? any help would be appreciated. thanks- justin

justinbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2010, 07:04 PM   #433
asmodeus
SKIMMER WHORE

no problems here are a few Jerm

this is 15 mins after starting it up retarded isn't it.

making sure the strength of the BK are top notch..

This is what the BK SM 250 is Skimming

right side

middle

left side

Unread 03/01/2010, 01:51 PM   #434
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Outstanding! The photo of you biting the lid is hilarious!

Unread 03/02/2010, 12:08 PM   #435
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Jeremy,

Received the BK mini from you-Thanks-Nice!!

Finally installed it and I've had the BK 160 mini running for 24 hours now and notice that it seems sensative to only an 1/8 inch water level fluctuation. I run a Tunze osmolator and only have 1/8 inch fluctuating between top off. I also have the skimmer operating at 10 1/4 inches and plan to bring the level down to 9 inches to see what it will do.

The effects I'm seeing are a good foam head forming and rising then as the water level drops slightly over time, so does the foam head until the ATO kicks in and pushes it back up 1/8in. Then the foam head comes back up. I haven't really heard anything about these being too level sensative when kept within the range I have, so I'm thinking I'm running the skimmer with too high of a water level. I have the air/water line an inch below the max level line on the body of the skimmer and the bubbles are breaking at about 1/3 up the neck of the skimmer. I've played with quite a few skimmers over the years and the foam head dropping in and out on the BK has me curious.

Your Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Tivo

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller

Last edited by reeftivo; 03/02/2010 at 12:14 PM.
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2010, 10:40 AM   #436
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

This is pretty common, especially with a new skimmer. Once the skimmer gets slimed up it won't fluctuate that much with only 1/8", but it still will just very slightly. Give it time to break in and get going.

Unread 03/04/2010, 10:40 AM   #437
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Thanks Jeremy,

I've lowered the water level in sump to 9 inches and it seems much more stable. I need this thing to skim dry since I'm running Zeo. Looking good so far! I'll get pics tonight.

Tivo

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2010, 04:25 AM   #438
rsuplido
Registered Member

Quick question. What's the difference between a BK Mini 160 gen1 and gen2? Is there a way to upgrade to gen2? Thanks.

rsuplido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2010, 09:30 AM   #439
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsuplido View Post
Quick question. What's the difference between a BK Mini 160 gen1 and gen2? Is there a way to upgrade to gen2? Thanks.
The only difference on the 160 is where the air silencer is mounted.
the gen 2 180 and 200 have a custom volute and added air draw. the 160 remained the same.

Unread 03/15/2010, 09:09 PM   #440
Padrino
Registered Member

question for all of you. I currently have a BK mini 160 on my 90 but will be upgrading to a 500 gal system. What skimmer would you suggest? I was thinking SM250? Would that be suffice?

Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2010, 09:32 PM   #441
BriGuy31+
Registered Member

Do you guys think a BK 160 mini will be too big for my new 65 gallon cube? I would like to upgrade again in a few years and I'm hoping this top of the line skimmer will not be overkill on my new cube. Can you really ever over skim? Slight newbie questions, but I've been good with my CPR bacpak on my NC until now, so I don't know too much about skimmers. But I have learned to buy the nice stuff once and your good to go.

BriGuy31+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2010, 12:16 AM   #442
Kinetic
Registered Member

My BK 160 pump has started to make a really loud "fizzing" sound. What might the problem be?

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2010, 09:01 AM   #443
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

@BriGuy, the Mini 160 would be perfect on that size system. You could then run it up to around 120gal or so depending on stock load, and should still be just fine.

@Kinetic, when was the last time you had everything apart to clean it? There is a good chance that the silencer is clogging up. I would recommend you break it all down and give everything a good cleaning. Also, pull the impeller out and soak the motorblock and impeller in 1:1 vinegar to water solution overnight.

Unread 03/16/2010, 01:16 PM   #444
Creetin
Limestone Cowboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino View Post
question for all of you. I currently have a BK mini 160 on my 90 but will be upgrading to a 500 gal system. What skimmer would you suggest? I was thinking SM250? Would that be suffice?
I think it would be fine as long as its not super loaded with fish, If you want to overstock then I would go with the SM300.

Current Tank Info: 300 gal marineland deep
Creetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2010, 01:30 PM   #445
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy B. View Post
@Kinetic, when was the last time you had everything apart to clean it? There is a good chance that the silencer is clogging up. I would recommend you break it all down and give everything a good cleaning. Also, pull the impeller out and soak the motorblock and impeller in 1:1 vinegar to water solution overnight.
I've never cleaned it. It's only 3 months old tho?

Unread 03/16/2010, 01:38 PM   #446
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

I would recommend cleaning the skimmer every 3-5 months, just make it standard practice. I knew a guy who purchased a Mini 180 that was 10 months old, and pulled the impeller out upon receipt. It was the nastiest, calcium deposit covered impeller I have ever seen. It was completely white!

Unread 03/16/2010, 02:18 PM   #447
Kinetic
Registered Member

crazy! didn't know I needed to clean them out so often. Will do it today. Thanks for the help.

Unread 03/16/2010, 07:00 PM   #448
wpnorton
Registered Member

The Red Dragon pump on my Gen 1 mini BK 160 went out last week. Does anyone know how to get a replacement that doesn't cost $400+? I'm willing to substitute a lesser motor if needed. I'll just need it to work size wise?

wpnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2010, 07:37 PM   #449
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Are you 100% sure that the motorblock is dead? I ask because it's VERY rare that the motorblock itself dies, and the impeller or bearing usually goes bad first.

Unread 03/16/2010, 08:25 PM   #450
wpnorton
Registered Member

Nope, I'm not sure it's the motor, but it sure seems like it. The impellor will spin Intermitintly for a minute then stop dead. Manualy rotating the impellor doesn't prompt it to move at all. Could it be a power cord issue? Can I send it in to be serviced?

wpnorton is offline   Reply With Quote