Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/05/2018, 12:04 PM   #5951
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
Moving a sick fish into your display is a bad idea if you have other fish? You take a chance of infecting all of them. I did that once, I thought I was invincible. Moved a sickly fish into my very large sump because of better water quality and lost all my fish in my display, it was not worth it.
I did this before too. Also involved a Regal angel. The Regal angel died, take with it about 1/3 of the fish in my DT.

Not response to treatment is a strong reason not to introduce it to your DT.

I also introduced a clam with PMD from a friend's tank to my tank in 2001, thinking that it was environmental factor that cause the clam not doing well. I lost many thousand dollars worth of clams due to that mistake and came up with fresh water dipped as treatment for this disease.

These errors were back in the time when I used to think I know it all.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2018, 12:42 PM   #5952
alton
Registered Member

Use the water from your tank for water changes? I know you don't want to lose this fish, but you also do not want to lose any of your others either.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2018, 04:47 PM   #5953
rmcgookey
Registered Member

Juvi regal didn’t make it

My yellow belly juvi died last night. Was in the display for about 3 months. He was eating everything and not getting picked on. 3 days ago started showing some fin deterioration on his tail fins and worsened and spread quickly. I assume it was a bacterial infection based on appearance and behavior. By yesterday morning he was swimming more upright with his mouth facing upwards near the top of the tank at the overflow. Heavy breathing. Assume due to infected gills. Also stopped eating yesterday AM. Was dead by evening. Purchased from Live Aquaria 3 months ago and came in healthy. Was a juvi medium coming in around 1.5-2 inches. Smallest I’ve ever seen and did well for a while! Had him eating everything by week 2 starting with live clam then frozen brine.

Thoughts on the cause?

rmcgookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2018, 06:39 PM   #5954
carrots
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your regal. How are your other fish? Did you treat it in any QT or just drop it in your display tank? Any chance you had a ammonia spike in the tank?

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2018, 07:33 PM   #5955
rmcgookey
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrots View Post
Sorry to hear about your regal. How are your other fish? Did you treat it in any QT or just drop it in your display tank? Any chance you had a ammonia spike in the tank?
All other fish and coral fine.

After following this thread for years and losing a couple regals in QT due to never eating I did things differently this time. Got a baby. Put him in the display after a freshwater dip. Separated by egg crate for a couple weeks. Still didn’t eat. (Live clams, mysis, flakes, anything soaked in garlic, didn’t eat). Cut him loose and he almost immediately started eating frozen brine and then everything else. I believe they need to be around other fish eating out of the column. They also need live rock to nibble on before they accept prepared food.

He got fatter and never was picked on. 3 months after acclimation (this week) I noticed the fin rot and quick deterioration. Not sure what stress could have caused his immune system to go south that fast. Check my previous posts for videos of him along the way

rmcgookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2018, 09:04 PM   #5956
prior20
Registered Member

Just got a regal shipped from LA. Acclimated and put into QT. During acclimation, the angel left behind some stringy white poop. Internal parasites? What’s the best treatment method?

prior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2018, 04:04 AM   #5957
carrots
Registered Member

Start with a treatment of PraziPro. Two rounds of treatments as the bottle directs should clean it's outside of flukes and insides of tapeworms or the like. Should see results within days.

Unread 06/06/2018, 07:51 AM   #5958
this is me
Registered Member

So you got the Maldive Regal with the misbar on DD yesterday? I was showing the wife but she said "we already got 3". I refreshed the page and it was sold.
Nice fish!

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2018, 08:54 AM   #5959
prior20
Registered Member

Unforunately no Misbar would have been awesome. I just got one of the standard Maldives Regals on their site. My prazi was old so I will go get some more today and begin treating. He isn't shy at all but not interested in any food yet. Kind of lethargic and a little heavy "breathing".

Unread 06/06/2018, 01:47 PM   #5960
this is me
Registered Member

So who got that misbar yesterday? Show your face!

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Unread 06/06/2018, 05:18 PM   #5961
prior20
Registered Member

Just dosed prazi. I also picked up some metroplex and focus. So far no interest in eating mysis, algae, or clam on half shell.

Unread 06/06/2018, 05:59 PM   #5962
prior20
Registered Member

Just got the tapatalk app so I could include pics to make this more interesting. Got a pic of the stringy poop too, hope you like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 06/09/2018, 02:10 PM   #5963
skeeter2134
Registered Member

I recently retired and decided to try another Regal Angel. Ordered from LA was shipped and was stuck in Kentucky for a day. Two day shipment. Arrived alive and took two days to eat. Eating Mysis and live brine.Has the head shakes not constantly but is evident. Also has a parasite on each pelvic fin. First added a cleaner wrasse but wasn't interested. Did a 5 gallon prazi dip for about 20 minutes. Still attached. Full prazi or fresh water dip? Also should I treat ASAP or feed for a couple of days before treatment? Thanks At least he's eating.

skeeter2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2018, 10:44 AM   #5964
this is me
Registered Member

That's great to hear Skeeter.
There's been some really nice regal on DD lately.

Unread 06/14/2018, 06:39 PM   #5965
prior20
Registered Member

My Regal didn’t make it. I am getting a refund from LA. I have been talking with Bob at iBlueWater.com about getting one from him. He QTs for 8 weeks and is sending a video of the fish eating to me on Monday.

Unread 06/15/2018, 05:51 AM   #5966
alton
Registered Member

Sorry to hear that, it is always tough to lose a fish. QM moves the juveniles very fast, the adults I think stay in their tanks too long. Just remember 2" to 3" on regals is the best size. When I was getting adults it was 3 to 4 weeks to get to eat, with juveniles 1 to 3 days.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 09:52 AM   #5967
skeeter2134
Registered Member

My Regal died this morning. Refund from LA. Tough fish if not properly quarantined and treated before shipping. Still had the parasite on its Pelvic Fin after 6 days of Prazipro. I guess thats why they are considered expert.

skeeter2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 07:12 PM   #5968
carrots
Registered Member

Bummer to hear skeeter and Prior.
Skeeter the last 3 inch regal I got from LA had a white spot on it's tail and I thought it was a fluke. After two treatments of Prozi the spot was still there. I ended up scratching it off after a post QT freshwater dip. I finally figured out it was Lymphoma. The fish is doing great other then an occasional spot on it's fin. The last spot lasted about two weeks and then dropped off. Still not sure if I want to add it to my display in fear of it spreading to my other fish. Anybody out there know if it can spread to other fish?

Unread 06/17/2018, 11:34 AM   #5969
jmm
Registered Member

I bought a juvenile Regal from Diver's Den about 3 years ago. At about the same time I bought 3 butterfly fish. They went through TTM and quarantine together. All were tiny - about the same size. They went into a newly set up tank. All ate the first day and none have ever had any disease or damage. The butterflies have doubled in size. The regal has only grown a little bit but the color is as good as any I've ever seen. Perfect, right?

Not really. At first the Regal was the shyest of the 4. As time went on it only came out to eat. And then it started waiting in a cave until some food drifted in. Now I only see it at all about once or twice a week. Sometimes I don't see it for more than a week. It's a beautiful fish but it's a disappointing pet. The butterflies are extremely active but the Regal is usually a "no show."

I have a pod saturated tank so I know it gets enough to eat. Any advice?

jmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2018, 12:47 PM   #5970
OrionN
Moved on

3 years is a long time for fish to be shy. Keeping both I find that the yellow chest is less shy than the blue chest.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2018, 07:52 AM   #5971
this is me
Registered Member

I never had any experience with an Indo Regal, but all of my Indian Ocean Regals are out and about all day long. They are good eaters after they're accustomed to eating food out of the water column.
I went through the same ordeal as everyone when I first got into them. Killed a couple in QT and trying to get it to feed. My best method I've found is to not do any QT but to keep the newly acquired regal in a large acclimation box and hang the box in the display. Drop different food in the box and if the fish don't eat it in a couple hours, it's time to take it out and try it again later. The fish is a curious animal. It will eventually peck at the food and realize it's edible. Now the most important part is to keep the fish until it eats food out of the water column. After a couple of weeks, release the fish into the display. Fin rots and white dots on the tail is quite common with newly acquired regal angelfish. All of mine has it. But after a couple of weeks of good diet, it'll go away.

Unread 06/18/2018, 08:05 AM   #5972
jmm
Registered Member

This fish is perfect. It's a yellow belly. It has never had a spot or even a cloudy fin. And it ate in TTM the first day and every day after in quarantine and in the display tank.

Maybe the butterflies (Burgess, Pacific Longnose, and DeClivis) are scaring it. They race arouind the tank (120 gallons, lots of live rock) so fast you can hardly tell which is which. All are aggressive eaters but they do no harm to each other.

And Minh, your photography is fantastic.

jmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2018, 09:54 AM   #5973
prior20
Registered Member

What size acclimation box would be appropriate for that period of time and where is a good place to get one?

Unread 06/18/2018, 10:05 AM   #5974
this is me
Registered Member

The one I use.
https://www.seasideaquatics.com/cata...le-rf400c.html

Unread 06/18/2018, 10:07 AM   #5975
prior20
Registered Member

Thanks