Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/01/2008, 08:02 AM   #176
hobogato
Registered Member

could you snap a few pics and post em for us detect007?

hobogato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2008, 08:31 AM   #177
Elliott
Registered Member

here is another natural sunlight tank, I believe he had difficulty with coral burning from intense summer sunlight following the winter months of lower intensity

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=1

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2008, 08:31 AM   #178
Elliott
Registered Member

woops, that link above is a previous build of his, Herpervet is his user name, I'll try to find his natural sunlight tank, it's over 1000g I believe

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc

Last edited by Elliott; 09/01/2008 at 08:36 AM.
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2008, 02:20 PM   #179
hobogato
Registered Member

i was just looking back thru the comparison pic and noticed something else - the cyano that was on the rocks has disappeared as well (along with the previously noted bryopsis). i wonder if this has potential applications in all tanks that have cyano or bryopsis issues. a friend of mine and i are currently testing some of this idea with his bryopsis, so i will report back with further findings.

up to this point, a reptile full spectrum bulb was able to kill off some bryopsis high in his tank but was not effective on a patch at the bottom. more as this test progresses, ill see if he will post pics or let me post em for him......

Unread 09/01/2008, 09:21 PM   #180
matona
Registered Member

Ace,

Thanks for sharing your experience... I've been thinking about this for quite a while, and you completely sold me on it.

So today I installed my two 10" sun tunnels over my 90 gal tank. I started this afternoon and am nearly complete. I just need to finish the interior, and I'll have to go back through your installation to see what modifications you made above the tank. I'm excited to see it in the morning with some light.

-Matt

matona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2008, 09:26 PM   #181
hobogato
Registered Member

great matt, dont forget to post some pics - look forward to seeing it!

Unread 09/01/2008, 09:41 PM   #182
melev
Moved On

Ace, I know you used those planter pots for the base of each tube. Think about what might happen with a Lumenbright reflector, and tell me if it is a good idea or not.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2008, 12:15 AM   #183
Jerdog
Registered Member

Just an idea im throwing out, and I dont know if its already been mentioned but, the clear acrylic tops on the roof dont exactly look like they are getting the maximum amount of light until the sun is directly over them. Its looks like that it is in the range of the 3 hours from 12 - 3p.m. With this being said how about a reflector turned upside down so that you could try and capture more sunlight. I think with a little diy on the roof you could not only get a brighter light, but also extend that brightness for a longer period ..2 cents

Jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2008, 12:23 AM   #184
dots
Registered Member

I have yet to read the entire thread, but some initial thoughts....forgive me if they have been discussed.

1. Being in San Antonio....(I miss Texas....lived in Austin for a spell).....your closer to the equator, but still pretty far north, this could be a factor.

2. I would guess being close to what 5500-6500 ( isn't that what was the equivalent to full daylight?) You will be more "natural" and will have coloration possibly simmilar to early reefkeepers with a lot of greens, purple/blue tips and browns, possibly loosing some of the wild dayglow combinations we currenltly are able to get with "unatural methods"

Very cool idea, I plan to read the rest and follow this. I am am glad you are being so documentive, thanks for sharing.

I would someday like to hook up some solarcells and drive my tank with these, and charge a battery with an inverter to run mine totally off the grid and not subject to outages.

Unread 09/02/2008, 12:39 AM   #185
Jerdog
Registered Member

Photobucket

Unread 09/02/2008, 12:40 AM   #186
Jerdog
Registered Member

I realize this is a poor drawing but I think it gives an idea what im saying.

Unread 09/02/2008, 12:58 AM   #187
dots
Registered Member

Lets not hold out now......lets go all out........and hook up some sun trackers onto those reflectors!!!

Unread 09/02/2008, 01:22 AM   #188
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by matona
Ace,

Thanks for sharing your experience... I've been thinking about this for quite a while, and you completely sold me on it.

So today I installed my two 10" sun tunnels over my 90 gal tank. I started this afternoon and am nearly complete. I just need to finish the interior, and I'll have to go back through your installation to see what modifications you made above the tank. I'm excited to see it in the morning with some light.

-Matt
Yup yup, looking forward to that as well.

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2008, 09:07 AM   #189
murfman
Registered Member

Too bad there isn't a way to "filter" the sunlight to give us the spectrum we desire. Kinda like a photographer who runs gel filters over the lense or a polarizing filter to get rid of glare.

I started with 6500K and hated them. I run 12 Reeflux now and love the color.

murfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2008, 09:59 AM   #190
8BALL_99
Registered Member

If its two yellow of light for you, You have to options.. You can Either run T5s with blue or actinic bulbs. Or if you have more light then you need like most will. You can add some tinted Acrylic to give you some blue light. Most of this has already been talked about in THIS Thread on Sola Tubes. Its already had one split infact. For those that are interested in using sunlight should really check it out.. For those who have already done it post your Pics in the thread!

Will

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Why do we drive on the parkway and park in the driveway?

Isn't is it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Current Tank Info: Custom Starfire 300,92Gallon,35 Gallon Hex,Two 40Gallons,125Gallon,
8BALL_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2008, 11:09 AM   #191
Jerdog
Registered Member

Im looking at a couple of these sola tube and skylight threads, it doesnt look like anyone has actually tried using a color filter. I just looked at a couple of companys onlne that sell stage lighting equip. and they have some very cool blue color films that would look good, and there fairly inexpensive.

Unread 09/02/2008, 12:58 PM   #192
Reefski's
Registered Member

it is being done with tinted material, not under solartubes but outside. see the amazing setup of Steve Gerrett's here. http://www.garretts-acropolis.com/

my tank is totally lit by the solar shaft lined with spectral aluminum.

i am considering using some of the blue material. i am getting plenty of light for growth but there is something appealing about the fluorescent colors.
the colors are there, they are just not obvious with such a yellow light source, (the sun).

i put a 1 400 watt 14K bulb over my tank for a recent get together so people could see the tank after dark and the colors popped right out. even on corals that had been in the tank for weeks.

anyone thinking about this way to light your tank i say do it!! it works, is good for your wallet and good for the environment. this hobby has a big enough footprint on the environment.

i live in Southern California where the weather is mostly sunny and we don't have snow. even in other more northern climates it could still be used exclusively most of the year. after all, your days are longer than ours during 6 months of the year.

Reefski's is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2008, 01:15 PM   #193
8BALL_99
Registered Member

I think if you went with a color filter or even just some tinted acrylic the trick would be not cover the entire tube or skylight just add maybe a border to them. Enough to add some blue light but still let a lot of natural light in. I also think Most everybody will still need another source light.. If nothing more then night time viewing. I plan on using 4x54 watt T5s with Blue bulbs.. If I have to much light and I can get by with some kind of blue filter I'll probably change out 2 of the t5s with 10k bulbs so at night the tank still has good color..I don't know,, with this kind of lighting alot of it will be just trial and error to see what works for you.

I agree though its a good idea. I figured my skylight and in about a year it should pay for it self..Maybe two if I still need MH some in the winter ect.. Plus it is a much cleaner way to light your tank. From what people have said heat isn't an issue with them at all.. So MH guys with chillers could save even more if you figure the cost of a chiller and the Juice it pulls when running..

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Why do we drive on the parkway and park in the driveway?

Isn't is it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Current Tank Info: Custom Starfire 300,92Gallon,35 Gallon Hex,Two 40Gallons,125Gallon,

Last edited by 8BALL_99; 09/02/2008 at 01:24 PM.
8BALL_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2008, 01:40 PM   #194
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

My ongoing saga with my sunporch setup just reminded me today why there are other steps that must be done first... 104°F at 11am... this is bloody San Francisco too! Outside temp at that time about 75

Unread 09/02/2008, 02:12 PM   #195
hobogato
Registered Member

i have a 1hp chiller that would kick on hourly for 10 to 15 minutes during the daytime, now it hardly runs..... i havent actually timed it, but it is significantly less often. i keep my temp at 79.

Quote:
Originally posted by 8BALL_99
From what people have said heat isn't an issue with them at all.. So MH guys with chillers could save even more if you figure the cost of a chiller and the Juice it pulls when running..

Unread 09/02/2008, 04:21 PM   #196
Reefski's
Registered Member

my tank has no chiller nor will it. all chilling will be from evaporation and fans.

i also believe most people keep their tanks too cold. reefs in the summer get much warmer than we run our tanks. look at the temp charts for reefs 20 years ago.

http://reefcove.co.uk/ronshimek/Temp...%20Aquaria.pdf

just another way to save some $$$.

Reefski's is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2008, 02:54 PM   #197
mborn
Registered Member

I use filters for my tubular skylights in the late spring and summer because the sun is directly overhead and shines straight down the tubes and is too intense. I take them off in winter when the sun is lower in the sky and the light is mostly reflected down the tubes. The days are also shorter and I need the extra PAR. I use roscolux mist blue #61 (see link). It cuts down on the yellow and gives an overall 10,000K appearance. The filters are easy to cut to size with scissors, very light weight, durable, and inexpensive. You can pick them up at any meeting or theatrical supply store that carries rosco products.

http://www.rosco.com/us/filters/roscolux.asp

mborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2008, 03:48 PM   #198
GUILLO1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mborn
I use filters for my tubular skylights in the late spring and summer because the sun is directly overhead and shines straight down the tubes and is too intense. I take them off in winter when the sun is lower in the sky and the light is mostly reflected down the tubes. The days are also shorter and I need the extra PAR. I use roscolux mist blue #61 (see link). It cuts down on the yellow and gives an overall 10,000K appearance. The filters are easy to cut to size with scissors, very light weight, durable, and inexpensive. You can pick them up at any meeting or theatrical supply store that carries rosco products.

http://www.rosco.com/us/filters/roscolux.asp
Mborn, can you post up some pictures of your tubes with the color filters? I would like to see how they look.

GUILLO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2008, 05:58 PM   #199
mborn
Registered Member

I have 14” tubes so I cut ~15” diameter circles from the filters. I take the plastic domes off the top of the tubes and place the filter circles over the top of the tubes and then place the domes back on (at the time of year I use the filters I don’t use the semicircle reflectors, I only use those in winter). Since the filters are a larger diameter than the tubes, the edges get pinched down between the plastic dome and the exterior lip of the tubes and are held in place. I currently don’t have any pictures of this. I’ll get some pictures of them this weekend if you’d like, as I don’t have time to go on the roof and pull the domes off in the morning before work, and it’s getting dark when I get home in the evening and I don’t want to be on the roof at that time.

mborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2008, 06:23 PM   #200
GUILLO1
Registered Member

do you have pictures of your tank being lit by the colored solatubes only.

GUILLO1 is offline   Reply With Quote