Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/16/2018, 10:49 AM   #1
mclaman
Registered Member

SPS Dipping

Just getting back into reefing after 8 years away. I was hoping to get some ideas on routines people go through for introducing SPS and other corals into their aquariums. I'm curious what dips people use, their quarantine process and anything else they might do. I remember all the usual pests such as red bugs and AEFW and want to avoid this this go round.

mclaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 11:02 AM   #2
DivingTheWorld
Registered Member

I find the most important thing is to know exactly where your corals are coming from. If buying from a fellow reefer, check out their tank and ask them about their own dipping regime.

For the actual dip, I use Bayer (10ml per 1/2 cup of water). I dip for 15 minutes, followed by two additional freshwater only dips for 15 minutes each. Then into the tank. Quarantine would be better, but I can't set up a second tank.

Unread 04/16/2018, 11:18 AM   #3
mclaman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingTheWorld View Post
I find the most important thing is to know exactly where your corals are coming from. If buying from a fellow reefer, check out their tank and ask them about their own dipping regime.

For the actual dip, I use Bayer (10ml per 1/2 cup of water). I dip for 15 minutes, followed by two additional freshwater only dips for 15 minutes each. Then into the tank. Quarantine would be better, but I can't set up a second tank.
What does the Bayer treat? And are you crushing up a pill or do they sell a liquid version?

Unread 04/16/2018, 11:29 AM   #4
DivingTheWorld
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaman View Post
What does the Bayer treat? And are you crushing up a pill or do they sell a liquid version?
It's a liquid that you mix with tank water. It's an over the counter pesticide which was sold by Home Depot but I'm not sure if they still carry it. You can get it off Amazon. There are numerous threads on here discussing different recipes using it. From my experience, it's far more effective and far less expensive than the various dips sold through aquarium companies. But...it is a pesticide, so you need to use some precautions such as gloves and proper clean up afterwards.

Unread 04/16/2018, 12:02 PM   #5
mclaman
Registered Member

Quote:
It's a liquid that you mix with tank water. It's an over the counter pesticide which was sold by Home Depot but I'm not sure if they still carry it. You can get it off Amazon. There are numerous threads on here discussing different recipes using it. From my experience, it's far more effective and far less expensive than the various dips sold through aquarium companies. But...it is a pesticide, so you need to use some precautions such as gloves and proper clean up afterwards.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Unread 04/16/2018, 12:10 PM   #6
rvareef
In Memoriam

Quote:

this does nothing but make you feel good and does not kill the eggs of the parasites, so if youre not quarantining dont worry about dipping, because dipping once does not kill the eggs, easiest way to avoid pests without a quarantine is to find one person with all the parasite free corals you want and dont keep buying packs or a few corals from multiple sources

rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote