Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/18/2018, 01:20 AM   #1
Mr V
Registered Member

MrV’s acropora collection

Hi, so I have been documenting my collection for a while now but never on this forum. And since a lot of my friends are active members on Reefcentral so I think it would be cool to share some pictures here.

Some normal light shots:
Z’s paradise from Matt

Rr Dream catcher

Jf Burning Banana

Tsa Princess Peach. Man, this one so bright! I can’t even take pic under blue light since it will look unreal!

Ck Fraggle Rock

Mr V is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 01:20 AM   #2
Mr V
Registered Member

Now, some actinic shots. Some people says that blue light shot are not real, not normal.
In my systems, I have blue light for 7 hours whenever daylight only 6 hours, so I think it’s safe to say my corals normally look like that!
In my pictures I always try to mimic what I see in real life.

Tgc Inner core

One of the coolest acro in this system.

Jf Griswold

Bkchem Wetdream. My favorite now!

My heart drop a beat...

Unread 04/18/2018, 01:21 AM   #3
P593gat
Registered Member

Amazing

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

P593gat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 04:41 AM   #4
reefmutt
Registered Member

Oh baby! Nice corals!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2018, 09:14 AM   #5
Pife
Registered Member

Nice pictures. Will you tell us a little about your system?

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2018, 04:52 PM   #6
jessezm
Registered Member

very nice! Yest, please tell us more

jessezm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 11:37 AM   #7
Mr V
Registered Member

Tgc Inferno.

Tgc Red Dragonite

Tgc Rainbow Feast

Tgc Sphinx

Tgc Guardians of the Galaxy

TGC Pacific Rim

Some old frags also color up nicely:
Cb Dazzle Razzle

CC Bahama Mama

Burning skies

Sr Thanos

Unread 04/23/2018, 02:27 PM   #8
Reefpuck
Registered Member

Awesome look colors! I know someone is going to ask...so I'll just ask ahead of time. What lighting are you using?

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef w/ 55g sump/fuge.
Reefpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2018, 02:26 PM   #9
maxwell
Registered Member

Hi
Lovely corals , can you tell me what camera and lens your using and any helpful settings as your pics are great'
Bill

maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2018, 06:15 PM   #10
Mr V
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell View Post
Hi
Lovely corals , can you tell me what camera and lens your using and any helpful settings as your pics are great'
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefpuck View Post
Awesome look colors! I know someone is going to ask...so I'll just ask ahead of time. What lighting are you using?

Sorry, I still haven’t had the habit of check this forum. It’s quite new to me.

First, I have 2 systems: 45 gallons and 100 gallons. Both using radions with AB+ schedule. And both are Sps tank.
I am in the process of breaking down my 45 gallons to build a grow out (shallow) tank instead.
This is my 45 gallons a month ago, I am breaking down the tank slowly. Cut down a couple colonies at a time to make sure not disturb the tank too much.
But still, the tank is 5 years old. So I expected some casualties.

I have Nikon D500 with 2 lens: 18-55mm and tamron micro 90mm.
About setting, they are different depending on lighting and lens I use at the time of taking pictures.

Unread 04/26/2018, 01:45 AM   #11
Mr V
Registered Member

Picked up this three pieces last weekend. I have to say, truly unique gems.
This one, it has rainbow polyps plus pink coralline if coloring up correctly.

I never seen a tenuis that has purple/violet color like this piece. Not saying yellow polyps.

This one is bright yellow.

Unread 04/27/2018, 03:52 PM   #12
Mr V
Registered Member

Meanwhile, some frags growing/encrusting nicely. Again, actinic shots.
Wwc Culture Shocker

RRC Original Jawdropper. 3 polyps, but they face the other way so no polyps on this pic.

TDF acro

Please don’t laugh at my Angry Bird. I don’t know why it’s so green instead of blue. ☹️

RRC Pretty in Pink

TGC Ball Buster

RR Lady in Pink. The color shift differently as the frag in my 45 gallons.

Here is the frag on my 45 gallons

CG Cherry Bomb. FYI, CG Cherry Bomb is the first and original Cherry Bomb tenuis on the market..

TGC Megatron. This is not ordinary yellow, this acro has a “blind your eyes if stare too hard” yellow!

Unread 04/27/2018, 03:53 PM   #13
Mr V
Registered Member

RRC Mardi Gras

Unknown tenuis

Tsa Princess Peach under blue

Compare with more white:

Tgc Inferno

Another crazy tenuis

Unread 04/27/2018, 04:51 PM   #14
reefmutt
Registered Member

I think your corals are spectacularly healthy and a lot of those frags look like they will be amazing.
Your photography skills equal the beauty of your frags and the super high resolution makes my eyes pop.
You are clearly using a very good photo editing application as well. You clearly know your way around both a camera and a computer AND you have great reefing skills to along with that..
Really really nice!
but I I do have to say that your corals are lacking a certain old fashioned connection to reality..
What I mean by that is, being a person who still uses my and t5 primarily for my lighting, when I look at these led driven pic, I don’t really see them as real..
I know led lighting is the future and I know it is a perfectly good (maybe better) light source for corals, I am just not there yet..
I see corals that look like this under vendor lighting- usually using radion g4 pros. But I often don’t buy from those tanks anymore because I know that when I bring corals home from those tanks I will be disappointed with them..
One day I will go to leds and revel in the colors I’m seeing in your corals but since I still use old fashioned lighting, I can’t get my head around your shots...
I really don’t mean this to be a put down or an insult.. you clearly know what you are doing.. I guess I am getting philosophical about lighting here..
So, in a way your shots have gotten me all existential... and that’s a god thing!!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 04/27/2018, 06:23 PM   #15
Mr V
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
I think your corals are spectacularly healthy and a lot of those frags look like they will be amazing.
Your photography skills equal the beauty of your frags and the super high resolution makes my eyes pop.
You are clearly using a very good photo editing application as well. You clearly know your way around both a camera and a computer AND you have great reefing skills to along with that..
Really really nice!
but I I do have to say that your corals are lacking a certain old fashioned connection to reality..
What I mean by that is, being a person who still uses my and t5 primarily for my lighting, when I look at these led driven pic, I don’t really see them as real..
I know led lighting is the future and I know it is a perfectly good (maybe better) light source for corals, I am just not there yet..
I see corals that look like this under vendor lighting- usually using radion g4 pros. But I often don’t buy from those tanks anymore because I know that when I bring corals home from those tanks I will be disappointed with them..
One day I will go to leds and revel in the colors I’m seeing in your corals but since I still use old fashioned lighting, I can’t get my head around your shots...
I really don’t mean this to be a put down or an insult.. you clearly know what you are doing.. I guess I am getting philosophical about lighting here..
So, in a way your shots have gotten me all existential... and that’s a god thing!!

Thank you. And you are correct about the lighting and “old fashion corals”.
I actually have a tank build on clay-boa for a couple years. My first sps tank, I mostly keep old school corals. And they look better under 20k lighting. Most of them will not pop under blue/actinic lighting (so if you try to shoot them under blue light, they will actually look uglier). However the new trend of corals right now is “corals that pop under blue”.
I think it’s because the way collectors (diver?) collect them in the wild. Before they just dive at day time, using daylight to pick the corals. So any coral that are blue/red/yellow/purple under daylight considered good corals and collected. Now, divers equipped themselves with blue flash light when they collect coral, and under blue light, there is a whole new world opening. You ever think that those rainbow tenuis that people selling for crazy money right now, why they don’t collect them 10 years ago?

About what is realistic, what is not. I have to disagree with the argument that blue light is not realistic. I have 7 hours of blue light on all of my systems, whenever I have only 6 hours of normal light (20k) and most of that time I am not home. So it’s realistic to me, I always see my tank under blue, I always enjoy my corals pop like that. One day I visited a reefer that have 14k metal halide in his tank and I had to say: “man, your tank look unrealistic. I rarely see a reef tank look like that”
End of the day, if the corals look good under blue/acrinic light, then why don’t why just simply enjoy them under blue light? If a girl look beautiful under markups, I never bother to see how she look without markups.
Those pictures you see above are what I see in my tank, every day.

Proving that I do have old school corals,

Unread 04/28/2018, 05:25 AM   #16
vpreef
Registered Member

Amazing!

vpreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2018, 09:29 AM   #17
Stickboy97
Registered Member

Your tanks/corals look amazing, really interested in your parameters & if you dose anything extra... how many fish do you have?

Also, love the analogy about the girls & make-up! LOL

Unread 04/28/2018, 09:51 AM   #18
CoralNerd
Registered Member

Well that was a kick azz response lol

CoralNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2018, 10:53 AM   #19
Softhammer
Registered Member

Good lord, where did you get all of these? Any frag packs in the works? I’d buy some frag futures contracts from you!

Unread 04/29/2018, 08:00 PM   #20
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Been a huge fan and follower of you on R-2-R and FB mate and I absolutely adore your tank and the colours you pull!! Are you using g3's or g4's?? I'm otssing up between saving for g4's or getting g3's at a solid price to go with a MH lol

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2018, 09:09 PM   #21
kinggeorge818
Registered Member

Wow great tank and colorful corals, can wait to see these multicolored colors turn into colonies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Current Tank Info: 675 gallon tank, 220 gallon vat, 200 gallon sump, 60 gallon refugium
kinggeorge818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2018, 12:09 AM   #22
Mr V
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
Been a huge fan and follower of you on R-2-R and FB mate and I absolutely adore your tank and the colours you pull!! Are you using g3's or g4's?? I'm otssing up between saving for g4's or getting g3's at a solid price to go with a MH lol
Thank you!
I have g3 +t5s on one of my system and g4s alone on one. I honestly like the g3s+t5s much more than t5s alone. I am thinking of add more t5s to the set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickboy97 View Post
Your tanks/corals look amazing, really interested in your parameters & if you dose anything extra... how many fish do you have?

Also, love the analogy about the girls & make-up! LOL
I have two systems, 45 gallons and 100 gallons.
Both working on the same concept: keep everything as simple as possible. Only test for Alk. One or twice a week, shooting for 8~9dkh range. And adjust Cal Dosing according to the alk.
For filtration, Both Systems relies on skimmer, chaeto and marinepure. No carbon dosing or gfo (against my philosophy of keep things simple)
I also don’t test for nutrients (po4&no3) or other factors.
I dose RedSea ABCD for trace elements. And that’s the only thing I dose.
About fish, I have a lot, and feed a lot too. Also feed corals using reefroid.

The 100 gallons was just started 7 months ago so mostly frags.

Today:

It’s a little messy since I try to figure out which acros will have a permanent place on the scape. That’s the reason why they are on the plug instead of glued down to my tock scape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softhammer View Post
Good lord, where did you get all of these? Any frag packs in the works? I’d buy some frag futures contracts from you!
Save my contact, let me know if you need anything!

Last edited by Mr V; 05/01/2018 at 01:53 AM.
Unread 05/01/2018, 01:49 PM   #23
reefmutt
Registered Member

I love the scaping.
What type of rock did you use?

Unread 05/01/2018, 04:42 PM   #24
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

The new tank is looking gorgeous mate!! Can't wait to see it in another couple of months! How much of an improvement do you find the G4's to be over the G3's?? Seeing as you have both

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2018, 04:50 PM   #25
Diana A
Registered Member

I am in love with your tanks and corals