Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/18/2015, 12:46 PM   #1
Myka
Reefing since '93

Myka's 69 SPS Tank 2015

Hi all! Time for a new build.

My name is Mindy van Leur and I'm from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada (say that 10 times fast). You may recognize my name if you read the Reef Hobbyist Magazine as I wrote a few articles for them in 2012 and 2013. I own a marine aquarium maintenance company here in Saskatoon, and I have been a MO breeder for the last number of years. I have recently decided to focus on the maintenance company though, and am shutting down the hatchery. My passion in the hobby is helping newbies out, and also SPS corals. I love SPS.

Here's a pic of me from MACNA 2012 that makes me look important (lol). I'm the one on the left...haha kidding.

I haven't posted much on RC over the years as I spend most of my time over on the Canadian CanReef forums. This is actually my first tank journal thread on RC.

I started up my first reef tank in 1993 off babysitting money. It was a 20 or 25 gallon hexagonal tank and had a sweet UGF (for those who remember what that is haha), and even housed a Queen Conch for a week or so. These days I know better.

My last SPS tank was never supposed to be an SPS tank. It was a 90-gallon that was supposed to a low maintenance system. I set it up in May 2009, the SPS started wiggling in by October. In 2012 I moved all the LPS to a different tank and the 90 was now exclusively SPS. Unfortunately, winter of 2012 I spent 6 months out of province working and the demise was inevitable. Long story short, here it is just before it's demise...

Current Tank Info: 69 SPS (73 gal net) established July 1/15. (HBD Canada!) ATB 840, ATI 6-bulb dimmable. Fauna Marin balling lite method.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2015, 12:47 PM   #2
Myka
Reefing since '93

Ok enough about me, here's the new tank!

36 x 24 x 21"

- False back wall made of black glass (I despise acrylic) making the display 36 x 21 x 21" (69 gallons)
- Full weir overflow
- Black vinyl wrap around the overflow
- (2) 1" holes for Herbie drain
- (1) 1" hole for return (will use a 3/4" reducer bulkhead)
- Low-iron glass, eurobraced, trimless, and black silicone
- All vertical edges on the front are beveled and polished

The tank will have a canopy "wrap" so the top edges and waterline won't be visible.

Tank is being built by Concept Aquariums in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and will be shipped to me. Don't blame Concept Aquariums for the newb 3D drawing - I did it myself.

Current Tank Info: 69 SPS (73 gal net) established July 1/15. (HBD Canada!) ATB 840, ATI 6-bulb dimmable. Fauna Marin balling lite method.
Unread 04/18/2015, 01:02 PM   #3
Myka
Reefing since '93

Here is Sump V1.0. Hey it was a good start!!

Here is Sump V3.1. I think this is my final design.

The two cylinders at the back represent the Herbie drains, and the two cylinders near the front represent reactors. The grey mesh looking stuff represents egg crate to hold a filter pad. The black circle (not in the first pic) represents a 3/4" Uniseal which I can put a plug in that's super easy to remove. With this mod I can remove most of the water volume of the sump (a little over 10 gallons) for water changes, plus the Herbie emergency drain standpipe is removable and will drain an additional 9 gallons to the sump. I'm going to add a tee to the return that goes to a hose to a bucket, so I can do about a 19 gallon water change pretty easily. Plus, doing a water change this way, there won't be SPS branches sticking up out of the water.

There is enough space in the sump so that if the ATO gets stuck on the sump will hold that volume (4 gallons of RO/DI), and then if the power fails at the same time and the overflow chamber of the tank drains (it shouldn't drain) it will hold that volume (9 gallons) as well with about 1 1/2 gallons to spare.

The overflow chamber holds 9 gallons, and I will design the plumbing so I can pull the Herbie emergency standpipe, the overflow will drain to the sump, and I can use the return pump (with a tee to a hose to a bucket) to pump that 9 gallons out for easy water changes. A little smaller than I'd like, but maybe I can figure something out to get a few more gallons down to the sump. The skimmer area is 15 x 12" and would probably hold something even bigger if it fits in there at an angle.

The only drawback I can see to this design (so far) is that I don't think I could fit my Reef Dynamics biopellet reactor into the sump anywhere (footprint is 10 x 4"). I don't think I will want to run biopellets, but it's a nice option. I could always just buy the external pump for the BP reactor, so the option isn't completely ruled out.

Unread 04/18/2015, 01:19 PM   #4
Myka
Reefing since '93

Since I know you guys like pics, here are some SPS pics from my 90-gallon.

Unread 04/18/2015, 01:29 PM   #5
cFloor
Registered Member

Your last tank was very nice, I'm looking forward to following along. What type of lighting will you be running over the new tank?

cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2015, 01:51 PM   #6
Myka
Reefing since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by cFloor View Post
Your last tank was very nice, I'm looking forward to following along. What type of lighting will you be running over the new tank?
Thanks! I do miss that tank, but this one will be better designed. It will start off as (4) 39W T5 with either ATI Blue Plus or Coral Plus bulbs and a blue ReefBrite XHO strip down the middle. I will probably end up with 6 or 8 T5. I'll see how the 4 bulbs do for now. I have 4 over my current 50-gallon (18" deep) and I have great color on the few SPS in there, but growth could be better.

Unread 04/18/2015, 03:34 PM   #7
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

VERY nice pics and the set up is promising! Looking forward to the next steps

ReefCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2015, 05:31 PM   #8
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Very nice. I've seen your photos Canreef as I'm a member there. Will be following here for sure.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2015, 05:52 PM   #9
SeargentSlice
Registered Member

Nice tank and sump design exciting times planning a new system look forward to the updates !!

Current Tank Info: 150XH SPS, Alpha 170, Lumenbright, 250 Radium / ATI Blue Plus
SeargentSlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2015, 08:05 PM   #10
Myka
Reefing since '93

So I sent some fair bit of mula via EMT to some random dude on Kijiji. I'm hoping to receive an ATB 840 protein skimmer in return.

Also, sorry I noticed my copy and paste fail in my 3rd post.

Unread 04/19/2015, 08:45 PM   #11
Reef1589
Anemones for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
My last SPS tank was never supposed to be an SPS tank.

idk how many times I've heard that haha cant wait to see what the new system will look when its setup =D

Reef1589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2015, 11:27 PM   #12
fishresponse
Registered Member

Can't wait to see how your build progresses.

265g w/ 20" synergy overflow box
Hamilton Cebu MH/T5 fixture w/ 250w Radium bulbs
SPS/LPS mix | 30g (long) refugium with cheato | 40g sump
fishresponse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2015, 08:52 PM   #13
Myka
Reefing since '93

Thanks for following along guys! The next couple weeks will be a bit slow as I'm moving the hatchery out of the commercial location by the 30th, and GST is due on the 30th too haha! Once the air has cleared I'll get to work on building the stand and sump. In the meantime I'll post up some equipment pics with random bits of SPS just for fun.

Such as...what's in the bag??

Last edited by Myka; 04/20/2015 at 09:01 PM.
Unread 04/21/2015, 05:49 PM   #14
Hockeynut120
Registered Member

Looks like the skimmer is in the bag LOL, following along looks like a nice build

Hockeynut120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2015, 06:37 PM   #15
SeargentSlice
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeynut120 View Post
Looks like the skimmer is in the bag LOL, following along looks like a nice build
Lol what makes u think that

Current Tank Info: 150XH SPS, Alpha 170, Lumenbright, 250 Radium / ATI Blue Plus
SeargentSlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2015, 10:54 PM   #16
Myka
Reefing since '93

Yeah, one of the skimmers is in the bag! I bought another one too - not sure which one I will end up using, but I'm excited to see how they compare.

It looks like my tank will be ready sooner than anticipated too. I better get a move on the sump and stand!

Unread 04/21/2015, 11:34 PM   #17
noy
Registered Member

nice corals - following along

noy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2015, 09:49 AM   #18
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:

Wow... Royal Exclusiv!!! Also my favor for serious aquarium ...

But why I never got such a bag for any of my Royal Exclusiv purchase
What is it?

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Aquaforest ROTM June 2019
shih87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2015, 07:41 PM   #19
Myka
Reefing since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by noy View Post
nice corals - following along
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shih87 View Post
Wow... Royal Exclusiv!!! Also my favor for serious aquarium ...

But why I never got such a bag for any of my Royal Exclusiv purchase
What is it?
Bubble King Double Cone 180 with RD3 Speedy pump.

So I got a FedEx box from aforementioned "random Kijiji guy".

I opened the box, and found this inside:

So this is skimmer number two. It is an Austrian-made (not US version) ATB 840 Econo Small with Eheim 1260 pump - well to the best of my research that's the model anyway. Compared to the skimmer inside the Royal Exclusiv bag, this ATB doesn't look very impressive - though I can see the design is smart. The very large bubble plate and smooth skimmer body all the way up to the top of the skimmer appears as though is should provide as non-turbulent flow as possible, so this is promising. This is the first ATB skimmer I've ever seen in person and I'm interested to see how it performs as some people claim it rivals the Royal Exclusiv skimmers.

The sump on my 50-gallon tank isn't big enough to accommodate the ATB, so it's having a vinegar bath right now. Maybe I'll haul it down to the shop and put it in one of the FO tanks and see what it does.

Unread 04/24/2015, 09:56 PM   #20
Phludd
Registered Member

Great macro shots, I need a macro lense for my NEX5. Love the SPS, nice color.

Phludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2015, 06:35 AM   #21
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks!

Bubble King Double Cone 180 with RD3 Speedy pump.

So I got a FedEx box from aforementioned "random Kijiji guy".

I opened the box, and found this inside:

Hello,
Best wishes on your build, hope everything goes as planned. As far as the skimmer goes, I have the same, but I believe one size larger, mine powered by the eheim 1262. You will not be disappointed, this is simply the best performing skimmer I have used yet. Like most skimmers, set it to your sweet spot, and watch the collection cup grow daily, great skimmate, and luckily for me, I have to overfeed to keep NO3 up.

So this is skimmer number two. It is an Austrian-made (not US version) ATB 840 Econo Small with Eheim 1260 pump - well to the best of my research that's the model anyway. Compared to the skimmer inside the Royal Exclusiv bag, this ATB doesn't look very impressive - though I can see the design is smart. The very large bubble plate and smooth skimmer body all the way up to the top of the skimmer appears as though is should provide as non-turbulent flow as possible, so this is promising. This is the first ATB skimmer I've ever seen in person and I'm interested to see how it performs as some people claim it rivals the Royal Exclusiv skimmers.

The sump on my 50-gallon tank isn't big enough to accommodate the ATB, so it's having a vinegar bath right now. Maybe I'll haul it down to the shop and put it in one of the FO tanks and see what it does.

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2015, 01:24 PM   #22
Myka
Reefing since '93

Plyle...that's great to hear! It doesn't look like much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phludd View Post
Great macro shots, I need a macro lense for my NEX5. Love the SPS, nice color.
Thanks! I've taken a few half decent shots...not many. Just the stock lens on my Canon G9.

Unread 04/26/2015, 09:41 AM   #23
Aquattro
Registered Member

Ok, I'll follow along here Sick of that Canadian board anyway -lol More pics!!

Aquattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2015, 10:29 AM   #24
Myka
Reefing since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Ok, I'll follow along here Sick of that Canadian board anyway -lol More pics!!
Ya the moderators over there are jerks!

I'll see what I can find to take pics of.

Unread 04/26/2015, 10:31 AM   #25
Aquattro
Registered Member

Quote:
Ya the moderators over there are jerks!

I'll see what I can find to take pics of.
Tell me about it!

I'm starting to think required equipment for reefing is a good macro lens.

Aquattro is offline   Reply With Quote