Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/28/2007, 12:17 AM   #76
StunnaShadez
Registered Member

man... i guess i jynxed myself. errr... my tank. the cali weather is warming up. my temps are around 82 earlier, still at 82 right now. i turned off my light about an hour and a half earlier than usual. aimed a powerful fan towards the tank, turn off the heater earlier also. hope my tank will cool over night. tomorrow will be a rough day, around 90's. gotta love this weather(sargasm)..

on a better side of note, the dreaded diatom cycle is finally over. coralline is growing on the back walls. does that mean the calcium is high? im using seachem reef salt. reef crystals is a little too expensive for my wallet.. not that this hobby isnt . i need to go to compUSA for their comp fans.. since theyre closing down hopefully its cheap and still some in stock.

StunnaShadez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2007, 02:11 AM   #77
spleen93
crabby hermit

Coralline growing is a good sign! Which CompUSA is closing down? The one by Arden?

Spleen

"Put that in your Mag Drive and smoke it." - jnarowe
"Beware of the banter" - mpoletti
"Now I know that some things are just out of our control and we should enjoy the good parts as much as we can." - pookstreet
spleen93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2007, 07:45 AM   #78
BigPerm1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by m1enbo1
i read alot of people who say that the pictures really dont capture the true color of MH's. i dont really know what they meant by that, but now im in their position when i say that it REALLY doesnt capture the true color. its more bluer and looks ALOT better in person. for people who have an itch to upgrade from PC to MH, then i say DO IT! really worth it imo
Yeah, my first pics of my MH came out very odd.

It's actually purple, but I think that's because of the coralline algae that's the light is reflecting off. It's an awesome color. I highly recommend the MH's over the stock PC lighting.

BigPerm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2007, 01:47 PM   #79
MarineGirl411
Registered Member

You know with temps getting high and if you cannot maintain a cool temp, you can run a reverse phytoperiod. Run the lights at night when it's not as warm. It sucks because unless you're a night owl, you won't be able to enjoy it as much, but it keeps things stable. =) I read where you wanted to add a Cuke. At least that is what I think you meant. Don't add one. =) They should only be added to larger tanks. That tank would most likely be too small for one. They will not eat prepared food either. You can also get a fan from walmart, I got one for 10.00 and blow it across the surface of your tank water. Evap cooling. Really works. If you decide to go with a sump, they are really nice because you can point the large fan across the water in the sump.
I think it might be a little hard to include a sump with that beautiful nano though. Have you seen people do it? You could still add a little sand to the tank if you don't like the look. A little sand will not be harmful. A DSB though would most likely crash in the future. If you go to the Marine Depot website, search their forums. I asked Dr. Ron Shimek the same question about my tank. I wanted a DSB in the tank and the refugium. He said it would most likely crash. My total water volume is 65 gallons. Some people have said though, to take what he says with a grain of salt. =/ It's all about research. Research has helped me quite a bit.
Also, are you looking at Reef Crystals at your LFS? All the salt mixes will be more there. If you go to www.drsfosterandsmith.com they usually have good prices on their salt. I get the 160 gallon mix and I've always caught sales. It's much cheaper I have found there than in my LFS. Check it out. =) Love your tank. I love those blue clove polyps too.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef, Cardiff Nano Seahorse tank.
MarineGirl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2007, 01:51 PM   #80
MarineGirl411
Registered Member

=) Forgot to mention my parents are from Sacramento. Love Cali

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef, Cardiff Nano Seahorse tank.
MarineGirl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2007, 10:47 PM   #81
StunnaShadez
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spleen93
Coralline growing is a good sign! Which CompUSA is closing down? The one by Arden?

Spleen
yup. that one. i think most of the stuff is gone by now. except for the computers. its been on sale for about a month now.

bigperm, is that the 150W sunpod? and what kind of bulb are you using? stock 14k?

marinegirl, i was thinking about doing that. but since the tank is in my room, i wont be able to sleep through the bright light. for the 10g fuge, i want to grow macro algae (chaeto) because i've read many people saying that once they set it up, it brought their 'trates & phosphates down to 0 or near 0. ill stick with seachem reef salt and see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally posted by MarineGirl411
=) Forgot to mention my parents are from Sacramento. Love Cali

Unread 04/29/2007, 12:34 AM   #82
BigPerm1
Registered Member

Quote:

bigperm, is that the 150W sunpod? and what kind of bulb are you using? stock 14k?
Yep. Just got it a week and a half ago.

BigPerm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2007, 11:20 PM   #83
StunnaShadez
Registered Member

im kinda wishing i should have gotten the aquapod 24. oh well...

im just bored tonight so i snapped a few crappy pictures:

enjoy

Unread 05/06/2007, 12:40 AM   #84
MplsMan
Registered Member

Quote:
thanks for the comment.
well, i bought the tank from drfostersmith.com and the sunpod came with it for just under $300 after s&h. the sunpod alone is i think $220 maybe less and it is the 16.5" one. you will love this light
WOW did you pay a boatload for that light, i bought 1 off your favorite bidding site for $150.00 brand new !
pays to look around.

MplsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2007, 09:01 AM   #85
jnarowe
Registered Member

MplsMan: I think you misread the post. It says the light came WITH the tank.

Current Tank Info: 70g fresh planted
jnarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2007, 10:29 AM   #86
MplsMan
Registered Member

ok that sounds better !! good deal then.

Unread 05/10/2007, 10:35 AM   #87
MplsMan
Registered Member

ok that sounds better !! good deal then.

Unread 05/11/2007, 11:15 AM   #88
StunnaShadez
Registered Member

lol thanks. but i stil kinda regret not getting the 24g one. i wanna kick myself when i think about it. and thanks jnarowe for clearing it up.

i keep on forgetting to turn on my heater at night, when i wake up in the morning, my temperature is at 75degrees. daytime temp. varies between 79 and 82 daily. hope my corals dont bleach.. (knocks on wood)

Unread 05/11/2007, 07:00 PM   #89
jnarowe
Registered Member

shouldn't the heater turn on automatically?

Current Tank Info: 70g fresh planted
jnarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2007, 07:17 PM   #90
Purple Penguins
Registered Member

I was freaking out last night, My tank temp got up to 85, but I found the solution, 1. I shut the shades from after noon sun blasting across the room and hitting my tank, along with shutting front door, 2. I put a frozen bottle of water in my tank and let it float to cool down my water, It worked, when I first realized my tank was so high my corals and everything did not look very happy, once I got the tank cooled down with the frozen bottle of water everyone was happy campers again

This hobby isn't just for the boys..

Its all fun and games until someone gets salt water in their eyes!

Current Tank Info: 2 x 24 gal AP Reefs, 3 gal picotope, 10 gal freshwater, 10 gal mantis, 75 gall reef tank, 3 tier frag system about 80-90 gals
Purple Penguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2007, 10:14 PM   #91
StunnaShadez
Registered Member

the heater keeps my tank at a constant 79 when i put the dial on 72. i do that at night because it gets pretty cool even though the daytime is getting harsh. i think my heater just gives off a little heat to keep the temp constant.

Purple Penguins- my room (thats where the tank is in) is pretty cool if i dont have the tv on constantly and have the fan blown across the room to circulate the air. my window blinds are closed too. im going to have a fan blown on it constantly during the day. i thought about putting something frozen in my tank before, but just never did it.