Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/10/2012, 07:14 PM   #876
gotfrogs
Premium Member

I am back in the club. I got this 3/4" wart skin in the mail today from Blue Zoo. I am going to heep him in a small refugium that is hanging on my 57 gallon reef tank.

gotfrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2012, 08:14 PM   #877
Devonlennox
Registered Member

New to thread and bumping it up

Hi, I've read most of the thread, set up my tank and purchased my dream frog fish. After having a heart attack that the store clerk had exposed my froggie to air, and learning to save him from this thread, I just wanted to express my thanks and say he's been good for just under two weeks now. Also, I'm bumping this thread up because I hope everyone will come back and we can chat.

Cheers!

Devonlennox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2012, 11:07 PM   #878
Devonlennox
Registered Member

My fiance made a video of my frogfish eating for me.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=0DjX6...%3D0DjX6UDSFXc

Unread 12/12/2012, 01:17 PM   #879
Cloudburst2000
Registered Member

I am receiving my brother-in-law's 15g aquarium tomorrow. They are moving tomorrow and don't want the tank at the new house due to painting and repair work. They plan to upgrade on size anyway so free tank for me...yay! Anyhoo, I plan on transferring the fish (a clown and goby) into my other nano. I would like to set the 15g as a frogfish tank. What species of frogfish do you recommend?

Cloudburst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2012, 12:45 PM   #880
M_v_P
Registered Member

Two pictures of my angler... It's 2 centimer/0.8 inch big and lives in my AquaMedic Yasha (27 liter main tank).

I am wondering: Is it wise to add another of about the same size? Friend of my has the same angler but is stopping with his tank.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

M_v_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2012, 01:30 AM   #881
reefD
Registered Member

It's always a gamble with these buggers. I keep researching and researching but end up getting a shut door. Hobbiest are the best info for this. I've never kept two in a tank, I'vealso eexperienced issues with feeding one less two. First question to clear upeeverything. How long have you kept anglers, truthfully?

Current Tank Info: it has four sides and a bottom...oh yeah and it has water in it. lol
reefD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2012, 01:32 AM   #882
reefD
Registered Member

That's what I believe mvp

Current Tank Info: it has four sides and a bottom...oh yeah and it has water in it. lol
reefD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2012, 08:05 AM   #883
M_v_P
Registered Member

Hi David,

I bought my angler July 2012. I feed it live food like live mysis shrimp, live artemia (brine?) shrimp and ghost shrimp.

Feeding is done every 2 or 3 days depending on the size of his belly.

Other inhabitants in my nano are 2 Cypraea annulus snails, 1 Astralium snail and 10 Nassarius snails.

Last edited by M_v_P; 12/30/2012 at 08:11 AM.
M_v_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2012, 11:07 AM   #884
Devonlennox
Registered Member

MVP, I love the colors on your froggie. I was trying to switch mine over to frozen from ghost shrimp and I think he actually prefers the frozen silversides to live food.

Unread 02/22/2013, 03:39 PM   #885
nova65ss
Registered Member

Hello got me a frog fish a couple of weeks ago figured I would share here. I read this entire thread while I was looking for one took a while but now I have him. He ate a silverside within a few hours of him being in the tank. So far I have been feeding him every tuesday and friday and he has no problems with the frozen silversides. I am going to try some squid or something different this week just to give him a little something different. Anyway here it is.

And a video of him eating this morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQDn...e_gdata_player

nova65ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2013, 06:12 PM   #886
gotfrogs
Premium Member

I don't think I would feed him something that big twice a week.

Unread 02/22/2013, 06:34 PM   #887
nova65ss
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. Would it be better to feed him half that much twice a week or one that size once a week? Thanks again!

Unread 02/22/2013, 06:40 PM   #888
gotfrogs
Premium Member

I am not really sure, I have killed several frog fish over the years and I strongly suspect a few of them were caused by over feeding them large items. I would request feedback from people who have kept them alive for 2+ years.

Unread 03/26/2013, 11:23 AM   #889
JimmysMom
Registered Member

can some one please tell me what the white spots on the red frog fish above is? I have the same one and the spots are crusty

JimmysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2013, 11:51 AM   #890
nova65ss
Registered Member

Wish I knew he had them when I got him and and still does? Would love to know also.

Unread 04/04/2013, 01:20 AM   #891
melbell86
Registered Member

Hey everyone. It has been a while since I have been on the forums, but my recent interest in purchasing another frogfish for my reeftank has brought me back to this page. I thought I would share my experiences with you all.

I have had two frogfish over the course of the last 3 years. My first frogfish, Bowser, was an Antennarius pictus, about 4 inches long. I had him for 2 years in a 27 gallon bowfront with another frogfish, Mushu, also about 4 inches long. I ordered them both from liveaquaria as an assorted angler (Antennarius sp.). Mushu turned out to be a marble mouthed frogfish ( Lophiocharon lithinostomus ). I knew I was risking it by keeping two together, and had done a lot of research before I decided to do this. I had Bowser for 6 months before I introduced Mushu. I was nervous at first, because although it is not recommended to keep two frogfish together due to the risk of them eating each other, it is advised if you keep them together, that they are the same species. I was expecting an Antennarius, as per the liveaquaria site, but knew right when he arrived that he looked different (there are some pics of him on some of the previous pages of this thread). Despite this, they had no problems getting along. They actually would often sit on top of each other, or hide in the same spot together.

Feeding is always a hard thing to get down when first keeping these fish. It is very easy to overfeed these guys. For one, they dont know when to stop eating! and two, it is hard to resist their cute little faces and their waving lure. It is very important that you DO NOT overfeed. I had a close encounter with Bowser within the first 5 months. Im pretty sure I was feeding him too much, and he appeared bloated and was swimming funny (their tummies get full of gas) and I thought he wasnt going to make it. Luckily, with some TLC, a burp, and no food for a week or so, he recovered. I feed my frogfish about twice a week, no more than that, and sometimes once a week. I alternate between feeding a whole, thawed silverside, and raw white shrimp (from the grocery store). I usually cut the shrimp in half if they are large. Depending on the size of your angler, you may want to cut the silversides in half as well. This combination has worked well for me. Occasionally I will get them ghost shrimp, as a treat. Mushu will pretty much eat anything I put on the end of the tweezers, and I also recently started feeding him thawed formula 1 cubes. I have read that a varied diet can help prolong their life in captivity, although they do not tend to live longer than 2-3 years in the aquarium hobby.

Bowser died almost a year go (RIP), and I had him for 2 1/2 years. He suddenly lost his appetite for no apparent reason (parameters were fine, no changes in diet or tank), and I had to force him to eat. It got to the point that I could not force him anymore, and he eventually passed. Mushu is still thriving, and I have had him for almost 2 years (Got him in May 2011). He now resides alone in a Deep Sea Aquatics 34 Gallon Neo Nano tank. I do have lots of hermit crabs and snails residing with him, which hasnt been an issue. I did have a coral banded shrimp with them both for about 6 months with no issue, but one day i noticed he was missing , and im pretty sure Mushu ate him. The Lophiocharon frogfish tend to have more voracious appetites.

I have been having angler fever lately, and I am thinking about purchasing another soon

Mushu as of 2/1/2013

melbell86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2013, 01:21 AM   #892
melbell86
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmysMom View Post
can some one please tell me what the white spots on the red frog fish above is? I have the same one and the spots are crusty
As far as I know, the white "crusty" appearance on these guys are just part of their coloration and camoflouge. It is nothing to worry about. I thought the same thing when I first got my angler, but it is totally normal.

Unread 04/04/2013, 01:25 AM   #893
melbell86
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova65ss View Post
Thanks for the advice. Would it be better to feed him half that much twice a week or one that size once a week? Thanks again!
I would probably feed him half that size twice a week to be safe. As he gets bigger, you can probably feed a whole silverside twice a week, maybe even once a week.

Unread 06/06/2013, 03:21 AM   #894
hyperge
Registered Member

new to the club - this pair has been held at the LFS for me for a couple of months until my second tank was ready for them.

Not sure whether it is a bonded pair, however they do seem to like each other fairly well, considering their number equals constant two for a total of 11 weeks while being kept closely together. I know - no guarantees.

I guess it is A. pictus, although the lure of the small one remarkably resembles a shrimp. Further pics will follow.

hyperge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2013, 03:37 AM   #895
hyperge
Registered Member

hyperge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2013, 01:58 PM   #896
general0
Registered Member

Can anyone help me identify my new Angler? I had a 20x20x12 rimless acrylic tank made specifically for it!

general0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2013, 03:24 PM   #897
uberfugu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by general0 View Post
Can anyone help me identify my new Angler? I had a 20x20x12 rimless acrylic tank made specifically for it!
Looks like Antennatus nummifer to me.

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Ante...-nummifer.html

uberfugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2013, 04:17 PM   #898
Axolotl
Registered Member

Hey all just bought an 8 inch giant yellow frogfish today. When the guy at the lfs bagged him out of water the fish made a noise and then i noticex him floating at the top. Got him home and acclimated him and he is now on the bottom but will float if he doesnt wedge himself in somewhere. I can see the air bubble on his left side. Is he a gonner will he expel it on his own. I did not know they did this or i wouldnt have bought him after i noticed it floating. Please help uberfugu!!

Axolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2013, 04:24 PM   #899
Axolotl
Registered Member

[IMG][

Axolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2013, 04:46 PM   #900
uberfugu
Registered Member

Wow, that's a big frogfish. I have had success burping frogfishes before... but never one this big.

1) I'd put on some clean nitrile gloves, grab the fish so that his mouth is facing you, hold it so that it is vertical with its body perpendicular to the water surface, and give a very gentle up-and-down shake (up to a few times). This may dislodge the bubble an send it back up and out.

Beware that a commerson's is a strong fish. It certainly has the bulk and musculature to make this difficult. Not enough hand pressure on your part and the fish may fight... enough to be injured. Too much pressure and well...

2) You could also let it be and hope that it will pass the bubble through its digestive tract. It seems like it is strong enough to anchor itself.

3) If you have a 31 ga insulin syringe, you could try and suck the bubble out. You better be pretty good with anatomy for this one but the technique has been used to alleviate dropsy symptoms with some success. Anytime a procedure like this is done, there is always the risk of infection from even a small needle. I think this may be too stressful for both the fish and you.

I think options one or two would be the most prudent. Remember that stress weakens animals. Not to make light of your situation, but if you do try and shake the bubble out, youtube it. I'd love to see that

Good luck.

uberfugu is offline   Reply With Quote