Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/19/2012, 04:13 PM   #26
Jamesjkl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwreef View Post
If you do not connect anything to the driver DIM pin it will run at 100%. If you use a controller, then it does not matter. Just remember to dim LEDs below their max values.

When your power go out then comes back on the controller takes longer to boot than the outlet so your string needs to be protected or use the correct mA driver for you setup.

Jamesjkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2012, 06:46 PM   #27
fetta
Registered Member

hazard, can't wait to see how it turns, and make sure to take lots of pics and start a build thread...............

fetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2012, 07:24 PM   #28
pwreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesjkl View Post
When your power go out then comes back on the controller takes longer to boot than the outlet so your string needs to be protected or use the correct mA driver for you setup.
When my arduino is off, the light goes off probably because the DIM pin is grounded. There is a momentary flash when Arduino boots, then things normalize. Besides the cheap Chinese LEDs, everything else is fine at 1A. But everyone is their own engineer for this of course.

Unread 10/20/2012, 09:01 AM   #29
Jamesjkl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwreef View Post
When my arduino is off, the light goes off probably because the DIM pin is grounded. There is a momentary flash when Arduino boots, then things normalize. Besides the cheap Chinese LEDs, everything else is fine at 1A. But everyone is their own engineer for this of course.
That is good to know as long as the dim pin is in use with no power its off even with a power failure?

Unread 10/20/2012, 01:48 PM   #30
pwreef
Registered Member

Sorry I don't know what you mean. When there is a power failure, everything is off. :-)

Unread 10/20/2012, 02:20 PM   #31
Jamesjkl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwreef
Sorry I don't know what you mean. When there is a power failure, everything is off. :-)

yes but the controller doesnt power up sa fast as the lights what happens wben you unplug the controller? does the light go out?

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

Unread 10/21/2012, 06:35 AM   #32
pwreef
Registered Member

When there is power to the drivers and no power to the controller lights are off. It takes about 1 second for the controller to boot. During that time there is a flash that seems like momentarily LEDs go to full current probably while the code is loading and setting registers. I honestly don't think that it will harm them on the rare occasion that power failure occurs, but like I said everyone can design their fixture with different driver values if they wanted.

Unread 10/21/2012, 03:04 PM   #33
Jamesjkl
Registered Member

You're right I'm sure if it boots that fast and not too over power. They are very inexpensive and easily controllable The on off and wide dimming range is super. More drivers giving more controll of more colors and only one power supply to plug in and no parallel strings to worry about

Unread 10/22/2012, 03:52 PM   #34
mattclark82
Registered Member

Does anyone have a reputable source for the wired versions at this time?

mattclark82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2012, 05:08 PM   #35
Dave Thebrewguy
Registered Member

Heck, at this point I'd settle for a less-than-reputable source. These things are just hard to find.

Dave Thebrewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2012, 05:17 PM   #36
bhazard451
Registered Member.

There's like a 10 week wait on the wired ones. I got a bunch in today of wired/wireless and these things are tiny... like an inch big. Allows so much more room in the fixture.

bhazard451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2012, 05:32 PM   #37
fetta
Registered Member

thought i looked at the website someone had posted on here, the octo one. thought they showed a bunch on there. unless i was looking at the wrong thing

fetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2012, 06:06 PM   #38
Dave Thebrewguy
Registered Member

For anyone who has one. Will they fit on a breadboard?
Edit. Anyone have mounting ideas for the wired ones?

Unread 10/23/2012, 08:40 AM   #39
bhazard451
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Thebrewguy View Post
For anyone who has one. Will they fit on a breadboard?
Edit. Anyone have mounting ideas for the wired ones?
I have a central location shelf in the middle of my fixture where the drivers will be located. They are so small, that I will just use 3M double sided mounting tape to hold it down. The driver will be on its side with the wires pointing to the back or sides of the fixture, unless I use a proto board.

Unread 10/23/2012, 08:15 PM   #40
mattclark82
Registered Member

Looking at the spec sheet, and being a bit rusty from High School electronic tech, I see a pin for PWM dimming input, but my ELN has a PWM+ and PWM- hooked into my controller. With the LDD in use, not aure what to do with my other PWM lead from the controller.

mattclark82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2012, 03:58 AM   #41
Dave Thebrewguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard451 View Post
I have a central location shelf in the middle of my fixture where the drivers will be located. They are so small, that I will just use 3M double sided mounting tape to hold it down. The driver will be on its side with the wires pointing to the back or sides of the fixture, unless I use a proto board.
Proto board... what a good idea. Why didn't I think of that? I now have 7 drivers ordered!

Unread 10/24/2012, 07:09 AM   #42
pwreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattclark82 View Post
Looking at the spec sheet, and being a bit rusty from High School electronic tech, I see a pin for PWM dimming input, but my ELN has a PWM+ and PWM- hooked into my controller. With the LDD in use, not aure what to do with my other PWM lead from the controller.
PWM- goes to Vin- , PWM+ goes to the DIM pin. This is common design practice not to create extra solder points.

Unread 10/24/2012, 07:52 AM   #43
bhazard451
Registered Member.

I cannot get over how small these drivers are. It would take about 12 of them to equal the size of 1 ELN-60-48D.

My 120 gallon freshwater gets drilled and converted to saltwater this weekend, and once it is up and running, I will start building my led fixture.

Unread 10/25/2012, 12:10 AM   #44
rkesling
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard451 View Post
I cannot get over how small these drivers are. It would take about 12 of them to equal the size of 1 ELN-60-48D.

My 120 gallon freshwater gets drilled and converted to saltwater this weekend, and once it is up and running, I will start building my led fixture.
When I opened my BIG box with all of the bubble wrap I found a few packages wrapped in foam up and some long rectangular clear tubes. First thought, they shipped me the wrong stuff. Opened the tubes up and out slides 10 of these LDD's in each tube. They are SOOOOO small.

Glad I got some already wired too because I may need a magnifying glass and someone with smaller fingers to add wires to the others

rkesling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2012, 10:25 AM   #45
rrasco
Registered Member

Drivers are not that big...it's just a chip, this one just has the extra resistors and caps that are needed. It's a good find, but if you're building stuff yourself it's still cheaper to get something like a CAT4101 and build the circuit yourself. This is a great find though and I'm sure I'll use them at some point.

Unread 11/13/2012, 02:22 PM   #46
rrasco
Registered Member

Thanks for posting this last month, as I now have a use for these.

Just an FYI, Mouser will only price match with certain vendors: Digikey, Allied, and Newark. However, I just spoke to them on the phone and they did offer to drop the pricing to one price tier lower. They didn't have to do that, so I thought it was awfully nice. I always order Mouser anyways, they have never done me wrong and I get UPS ground next day from them.

Unfortunately they don't have the exact ones I want, but who drives LEDs at 100% anyways? 600mA is perfect for my application though so I won't complain.

Unread 11/13/2012, 02:25 PM   #47
dwolson2
Registered Member

Is there any way to utilize the LDD drivers with a 0-10v signal from an apex?

Current Tank Info: 220 in progress
dwolson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2012, 02:38 PM   #48
peiloy3196
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwolson2 View Post
Is there any way to utilize the LDD drivers with a 0-10v signal from an apex?
I have been wondering about this too. In me research I found Steve's Led Aquarium Controller Interface Harness. It is supposed to be able to convert 0-10v signals like that from the apex to pwm signals. One harness is supposed to be able to do up to four different channels. I have not tried it yet though and so have no idea if it works. I also saw when I was researching that you can have different pwm voltages, so I don't know if this harness is compatible with the LDD drivers. I read in the harness spec that it uses a 5v power source so I assume it outputs in that voltage. I am very new to pwm so don't know too much about it.

Tank: 230 Gal , 75 Gal Sump with Refuge, 3X250W MH, 4X54W T5, MP60QD's, SRO XP5000 Skimmer, Octopus Calcium Reactor, 1.5 HP Chiller, Apex.

Current Tank Info: 250 Gallon Reef
peiloy3196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2012, 02:47 PM   #49
dwolson2
Registered Member

I started a new thread instead of clogging up this one:http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...4#post20885474

Current Tank Info: 220 in progress
dwolson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2012, 07:21 AM   #50
chema
Registered Member

Do these drivers get very hot when in use? I mean, should they be in open air or may be placed in an enclosed area?

chema is offline   Reply With Quote