Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/15/2015, 04:28 PM   #1
tdb320reef
Registered Member

New Acro Eating Pest 2015 - Thought they were Black Bugs But there are Not!

Came in on some Frags - any one know what this is?

Last edited by tdb320reef; 06/15/2015 at 04:40 PM.
tdb320reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2015, 04:57 PM   #2
smtank
Registered Member

Do you have this link

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/3/corals

smtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2015, 05:16 PM   #3
tdb320reef
Registered Member

Yeah I read that but nothing there resembles this thing.

Unread 06/15/2015, 09:01 PM   #4
dadummy
Registered Member

don't have a clue but the bottom pics looks like an alien fetus (head on the left, feet on the top) or maybe my mother in law!?

was it moving? visible bite marks? dead tissue?

dadummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2015, 09:36 PM   #5
smtank
Registered Member

The link refers to many Arthropod types that are present on sps, that does not mean all are invasive and need to be treated.

What leads you to believe this particular type requires an intervention?

Color loss, diminished PE, RTN....?

smtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2015, 09:51 PM   #6
khiann
Registered Member

this is the pest that took down my previous tank

i fought AEFW and redbug successfully, but this one took my tank down in 2 months. common chemical can kill it , but its egg is smaller than AEFW's, spread all over the sps colony(AEFW is in cluster) so impossible to scrap out. for me, these "snail" look pest can consume the entire sps in 2 - 3 days.

khiann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2015, 05:06 AM   #7
tdb320reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadummy View Post
don't have a clue but the bottom pics looks like an alien fetus (head on the left, feet on the top) or maybe my mother in law!?

was it moving? visible bite marks? dead tissue?

They come out at night and start eating the acro in masses. It is very noticeable as the Acro slimes up in defense. They move very fast and hard to see with the naked eye. Definitely start at the bottom up and in-between branches. The coral looks perfect but will start to STN from the bottom with the top not showing stress.

Last edited by tdb320reef; 06/16/2015 at 05:18 AM.
Unread 06/16/2015, 05:08 AM   #8
tdb320reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtank View Post
The link refers to many Arthropod types that are present on sps, that does not mean all are invasive and need to be treated.

What leads you to believe this particular type requires an intervention?

Color loss, diminished PE, RTN....?
Only color loss at the bottom, I see no issues with PE. The coral will start to fade from the bottom for a while then eventually turn into STN.

Last edited by tdb320reef; 06/16/2015 at 05:49 AM.
Unread 06/16/2015, 05:13 AM   #9
tdb320reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khiann View Post
this is the pest that took down my previous tank

i fought AEFW and redbug successfully, but this one took my tank down in 2 months. common chemical can kill it , but its egg is smaller than AEFW's, spread all over the sps colony(AEFW is in cluster) so impossible to scrap out. for me, these "snail" look pest can consume the entire sps in 2 - 3 days.
Yeah they are tough. I captured a few live ones and tested Bayer Advanced, Interceptor, Prazi Pro and Iodine. Watching them under the scope in a drop of solution, They lived in Bayer for 5 hours. None of the other chems impacted it and it continued to swim around in very high concentrations.

I kept a light over this frag pack all night and checked on the periodically every 3 hours and they were MIA.

The nature of it attacking at the bottom and running from the light tells me this defiantly needs to be controlled by a natural predator.

I think it is things like this that lead to so many unknown STN events that we see on here.

Last edited by tdb320reef; 06/16/2015 at 05:19 AM.
Unread 06/16/2015, 05:42 AM   #10
tdb320reef
Registered Member

Looking at the damaged part of the Acro under the scope at 110Xs I can see the the Symbiodinium is systematically being eaten. As if it is eating the cells one at a time. I envision it has a Pleco time mouth where it punctures the flesh and sucks the symbiodinium out. I believe what your seeing in the body is coral Symbiodinium.

Unread 06/16/2015, 07:30 PM   #11
dadummy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb320reef View Post
Yeah they are tough. I captured a few live ones and tested Bayer Advanced, Interceptor, Prazi Pro and Iodine. Watching them under the scope in a drop of solution, They lived in Bayer for 5 hours. None of the other chems impacted it and it continued to swim around in very high concentrations.

I kept a light over this frag pack all night and checked on the periodically every 3 hours and they were MIA.

The nature of it attacking at the bottom and running from the light tells me this defiantly needs to be controlled by a natural predator.

I think it is things like this that lead to so many unknown STN events that we see on here.
you do have these contained in a QT system?

Could try a few different coral dips and see if it kills them, Revive, RPS all out, high dose of FW Exit

A peppermint shrimp could possibly be a nocturnal predator, maybe an experiment with a pep and the pest. Acclimate a peppermint in a small container and introduce an infected frag or the pest and see if they are tasty.

Another thought is if they reproduce so quickly, maybe the life span is short. Keeping a light on for a prolonged period of time, would cause them to hide and starve out. Not sure what the effects of prolonged exposure to light will have on the coral. If a NO bulb would suffice to keep them hidden? I imagine it would be hard to contain them to see how long they live with out food.
just a thought lol

dadummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2015, 02:04 AM   #12
cugly
Dansreeftank

Its the devil bug you have to treat with interceptor its the only thing that works on them.

Unread 06/17/2015, 09:27 AM   #13
khiann
Registered Member

Interceptor and mybecime dont work on these.... Not even ivermectin.

khiann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2015, 02:04 PM   #14
Trevor40
Registered Member

Let's hope these don't spread in the hobby. They sound worse than anything else in the hobby iv'e read about.

Trevor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2015, 06:53 PM   #15
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

There's a guy in one of the upper forums talking about these also. I'll have him come down here and see if he has any input as well. Looks nasty.

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2015, 08:29 PM   #16
teebone110
Registered Member

scary.. hope these don't spread into your DT. Sounds like there is no way to safely QT this parasite

teebone110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2015, 01:52 AM   #17
rt67ghy
Registered Member

I would use aggressive treatment such as dipping in Bayer for recommended time, taking it out and scrubbing affected areas with a toothbrush, again dipping in new Bayer mix and scrubbing with toothbrush and again dipping in fresh Bayer mix. I'd change the container for each new Bayer mix and sterilize them with boiling water/ bleach.

rt67ghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2015, 07:39 AM   #18
tdb320reef
Registered Member

Okay all I have been studying these now for a few week and have found some interesting facts.

It is shape sifters meaning that they move into a ball form like zooplanktyon when they are scared or floating about the tank.
It flattens out like a worm to swim with a little tale.
It has 4 eyes.
It defiantly eats acropora and quickly
It lays eggs on dead acro throughout and not in clusters like AEFW.
It is nocturnal.
It looks to be asexual and you can see their eggs inside or they are carrying them.
In a drop of water it seems to team up to try to push the drop.
They select an acro and attack all at once as if it is coordinated.
Acros when being eating do not display any symptoms in the upper part but when these worms attack at the base the acro will slime up in defense. This is how you can tell which one they are attacking.
They are not affected by low temp 60's but do slow down in movement.
Some acros appear to be immune to them and may release a toxin to repel them. So far Millies and ssc is it choice host. It looked like they tried to attack a stag and slimmer and both slimmed up for a few days and nothing came off of them after manual extraction.

Below are all of the in tank treatments that did not work.

1. Prazi Pro
2. Flat worm exit
3. Interceptor

Out of tank treatments that did not work

1. Bayer advanced (swam around for about an hour)
2. Coral RX
3. Revive
4. Iodine

Out of tank treatment that worked

1. Prazi Pro high concentration 1-1 drop
2. Flatworm exit 1-1 drop
3. Freshwater 1-1 drop

So far the best solution in dealing with these things is to simply identify which coral they are attacking and at night with the flow off and lights off remove the colony from the tank gently and shake(manual extraction) them off in a bucket of tank water. Take a magnifier and scrape off the eggs with a dental scraper or cut dead parts off.

Repeat every 3 days until they are gone.

Unlike AEFW, there does not seem a way for these things to hang on to the coral. It is unclear to determine whether they go into the skeleton of the coral but a week after 3-5 extraction sessions the coral begins to heal back over the receding areas.

Last edited by tdb320reef; 07/05/2015 at 08:12 AM.
Unread 07/06/2015, 08:35 PM   #19
Icefire
Seasoned reefer

CoralRX at which concentration?

try 2x-4x

Current Tank Info: 60g Cube, 120lbs live rocks, Hydra52 2x120W, 2 MP40+ 1 MP10 @ 70%, Phosban 550 GFO+Carbon, 200W Heater, SWC Skimmer, Kalk ATO, 150 gpd RODI
Icefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2016, 12:44 PM   #20
kc350twin
Registered Member

I know this is a old thread but I have symptoms like you describe. Losing color from base up. STN on many acro colonies then death. I cannot see anything on the corals when I dip them in Revive but I.m gonna get a Magnifying glass and a eye loupe today and look closer.

Any new info?

Unread 10/30/2018, 10:43 PM   #21
Pico Keeper
Premium Member

2 years later and the dreaded black bugs have arrived in my tank. I just read every single thread on them and Im going to try hybriding a bunch of methods to see if I can beat them. I posted pictures in this thread and will try to update my own thread at some point when work and life allows me to. For now its going to dipping war for the next 8 weeks.

https://www.*********.com/threads/do...s-help.318975/

Pico Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2018, 12:09 PM   #22
mrg02d
Registered Member

These little terrors are almost as bad as I have been to my corals trying to “figure them out” :-)

I wonder how they manage to sneak by the seller? Surely they know they have them?

mrg02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2020, 05:56 AM   #23
21chip21
Registered Member

Does anybody have any pictures of these little guys?

Anybody have any pictures of these guys under a microscope or find a way to kill them?

21chip21 is offline   Reply With Quote