Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/16/2019, 12:05 PM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

orchid and striped dottyback in same 105 gallon tank , ugh?

Hi,

I accidentally put a striped dottyback into my 105 gallon that has a small orchid dottyback. The striped was in a holding 'trap' waiting to go to LFS for eating 2 red neon gobies from my neon goby tank lol.. the trap was on my 105 though. He jumped out when I tried to feed him ... into the 105.

Are they going to likely fight??? It's a real PIA to get the striped out of this tank compared to getting out like I did from the goby tank.

TY!

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2019, 01:58 PM   #2
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Yes, they'll go after each other.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2019, 04:46 PM   #3
CTaylor
Registered Member

sh*t .. that striped dotty back, I didnt want him in the first place lol. Only reason I got him is b/c I needed to spend $10 more to get like 20% off at LA lol.

**I saw the two "meet" in the tank. No fight yet. Is that a good sign? Or doesnt matter??

TY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia View Post
Yes, they'll go after each other.

Unread 05/16/2019, 11:15 PM   #4
CTaylor
Registered Member

I saw a spat between them. The orchid is very small. Like an adolescent neon goby btw. Im going to remove the rocks from half the tank and get the striped dback in that area and get him out. Will take an hour I think. Hopefully orchid holds up a few more days!

Unread 05/17/2019, 06:09 PM   #5
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTaylor View Post
sh*t .. that striped dotty back, I didnt want him in the first place lol. Only reason I got him is b/c I needed to spend $10 more to get like 20% off at LA lol.

**I saw the two "meet" in the tank. No fight yet. Is that a good sign? Or doesnt matter??

TY
Why didn't you just get another orchid? They do fine in pairs or even groups.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2019, 08:21 PM   #6
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Why didn't you just get another orchid? They do fine in pairs or even groups.
Good idea, but the main thing is getting the monster out first lol. I cant find the orchid, Though I'd think I'd see high agression if it was happening already. The Orchid is tiny and normally stays in and under in the back area of the rocks, as I have some larger fish in the tank like a blue throat trigger (that seems to be very nice until very hungry lol). I got both dottybacks at separate times only to hit a certain amount of order $ to get 25% off at Live Aquaria. But I'd consider another orchid if they are not agressive to each other

Unread 05/19/2019, 12:03 AM   #7
CTaylor
Registered Member

I got the striped one out.. He's back in the fish 'trap" , this time I'll be much more careful about him (not) esacping again. I had to take out all the rocks from the tank to get him. Even then it took a while after the rocks were out. But I was able to give a new look, nicer aquascaping look to my tank The orchid is still doing well.
**So I can get the orchid a friend? lol (another orchid) and they shouldn't fight?

TY

Unread 05/19/2019, 12:36 AM   #8
ThRoewer
Registered Member

There will be some chasing and maybe even a little fighting at first until they made out who will be the boss (male) if they are the same size. If you get a larger one, some chasing should be all.

BTW, it's always better to fill up LA orders with something you might actually want or need. I usually do it with snails, shrimp, hermits, or corals.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2019, 12:41 PM   #9
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
There will be some chasing and maybe even a little fighting at first until they made out who will be the boss (male) if they are the same size. If you get a larger one, some chasing should be all.

BTW, it's always better to fill up LA orders with something you might actually want or need. I usually do it with snails, shrimp, hermits, or corals.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
TY THR!
I love the orchid dotty. It's very small, about size of medium neon goby, but super nice,... He's always hiding, but visible at same time. I woudl definitely consider getting another, soon probalby before the one in there is very established. Gorgeous even neon deep purple. sooo nice.