Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Greater San Francisco Bay Area Reef Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 04/01/2009, 03:59 PM   #201
mobert
Registered Member

meetings would be a lot more fun with a little beer/wine.

Unread 04/01/2009, 05:12 PM   #202
melev
Moved On

That's all I'm sayin'.

Unread 04/01/2009, 05:47 PM   #203
ReefnAv
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
You better! The more RC people I see at that meeting, the more fun it will be. You guys serve alcohol, right?

Sorry for the off-topic chatter, but now that we are on Wreath Central, we can pretty much talk about any celebratory events anywhere we like.
The MARS Meeting is Friday May 15th. Can't wait to finally meet you Mark!

And don't worry beers are on me that night!

Current Tank Info: Oceanic Tech 70 and Eco Systems MiniR 14g
Unread 04/01/2009, 05:49 PM   #204
ReefnAv
Registered Member

...Unfortunately Round Table does not have a bar or it would be Crown!

Unread 04/01/2009, 06:14 PM   #205
melev
Moved On

We can just bring in our own, like any other good smuggler.

Unread 04/01/2009, 07:54 PM   #206
mobert
Registered Member

Unread 04/04/2009, 11:02 AM   #207
bensontm
In Memoriam

Red Rose Bubble Tip anemones and others

mobert:

I was interested in your anemones. What different kinds and how many of each.

I just added a brown and green bubble tip to go with my red rose bubble tip. All on the right side of my five foot 120 tank. I gave the red rose bubble tip the first 20 inches of the right side of the tank except for live rock. The pair of Tomato Clowns have started hosting in the two new anemones.

I have a blue/white long tentacled anemone about a foot in from the left side between the substrate and a the base of a large rock. It has two Clarkii Clowns hosting it. Now room for any more anemones on the left side.

Finsky

Unread 04/04/2009, 11:02 AM   #208
bensontm
In Memoriam

Red Rose Bubble Tip anemones and others

mobert:

I just added a brown and green bubble tip to go with my red rose bubble tip. All on the right side of my five foot 120 tank. I gave the red rose bubble tip the first 20 inches of the right side of the tank except for live rock. The pair of Tomato Clowns have started hosting in the two new anemones.

I have a blue/white long tentacled anemone about a foot in from the left side between the substrate and a the base of a large rock. It has two Clarkii Clowns hosting it. Now room for any more anemones on the left side.

Finsky

Unread 04/04/2009, 09:24 PM   #209
mobert
Registered Member

Re: Red Rose Bubble Tip anemones and others

Quote:
Originally posted by bensontm
mobert:

Finsky
Hi Finsky,
Are you wondering how many anemones you can have in your tank and what kind? With your lighting I would stick with what you have and if they do well, you will have more than you can count. (I can't count how many I have). All my anemones are from mostly one Rose and one Green BTA. (I have added one additional Rose years later and a Magnifica anemone).

I did have a long tentacle anemone that was thriving but for some unknown reason, it shrunk away as the BTA's were multiplying.

Keep an eye on those clowns. They are both very aggressive and may start fighting as they mature.

Unread 04/07/2009, 08:37 AM   #210
ReefnAv
Registered Member

Quote:
We can just bring in our own, like any other good smuggler.
LOL...Just ask for the Mars Secretary!

Sorry for the thread hijack Mobert!

Unread 04/09/2009, 09:42 PM   #211
Finsky
Registered Member

mobert:

I have a green flowerpot goniopora in the front center substrate which has started to fully open today after I added two 175 gph penguin powerheads with sponge prefilters in the left front corner and right front corner with flow facing up to the surface at the center of the tank.

I have two Hagen 110 power filters on each side and two Rena XP4's with both outputs in the upper left coner facing along the back and the other toward the front center. I have a Seio 2600 in the back left at a 45 degree angel behind the live rock which starts near the front and rises to 12 inches below the surface of the 27 inch high tank. The right back corner has a Seio 1100 facing at a 45 degree angel along the back of the tank.

My new green is in the upper right back corner and is opening to four to five inches. I also have a brown BTA which is a slow starter and has managed to only expand to about one to one and a half inches.

My main questions is do I purchase one of the new 8 Magnum 3,250 gph 19 4-1/4" x 6-1/2" 220-360 gallons water pump to put in the upper right front end of the tank and aim straight across the upper front of the tank for more circulation for the fish. I have also thought I could aim it from the upper right front end to directly horizontally across to the back right corner. Or the third choice is not to buy a new pump at all.

What are you thoughts on more circulation (specifically with the Hydor) in the upper part of the tank in addition to what I have?

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef - 250 lbs of live rock, Rena XP4, two Hydor Koralia 3250s, Aqua-Medic Tuboflotor multi 1000 skimmer - Two 60" Marineland Reef Capable LEDs - 8 1/2 years
Unread 04/09/2009, 10:00 PM   #212
mobert
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Finsky
mobert:

I have a green flowerpot goniopora in the front center substrate which has started to fully open today after I added two 175 gph penguin powerheads with sponge prefilters in the left front corner and right front corner with flow facing up to the surface at the center of the tank.

I have two Hagen 110 power filters on each side and two Rena XP4's with both outputs in the upper left coner facing along the back and the other toward the front center. I have a Seio 2600 in the back left at a 45 degree angel behind the live rock which starts near the front and rises to 12 inches below the surface of the 27 inch high tank. The right back corner has a Seio 1100 facing at a 45 degree angel along the back of the tank.

My new green is in the upper right back corner and is opening to four to five inches. I also have a brown BTA which is a slow starter and has managed to only expand to about one to one and a half inches.

My main questions is do I purchase one of the new 8 Magnum 3,250 gph 19 4-1/4" x 6-1/2" 220-360 gallons water pump to put in the upper right front end of the tank and aim straight across the upper front of the tank for more circulation for the fish. I have also thought I could aim it from the upper right front end to directly horizontally across to the back right corner. Or the third choice is not to buy a new pump at all.

What are you thoughts on more circulation (specifically with the Hydor) in the upper part of the tank in addition to what I have?

Hi Finsky,
Hard to say without seeing your tank but did you see this link earlier?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFO4DwEkkr0
It was after I had moved my powerheads around such that there is less water movement above the BTA in the video than before. They seem to be expanding more and getting stringier. I have found that most of the animals like lots of flow. If at first they look blown around, after a few days, they seem to adapt.
Here is the tank with more current:

So, you can compare how the current is in your tank vs. the above videos to decide if you want more current.

Unread 04/09/2009, 10:41 PM   #213
Finsky
Registered Member

I think I am going to five the Hydor a chance. My tank is looking a little to sedate at this time.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef - 250 lbs of live rock, Rena XP4, two Hydor Koralia 3250s, Aqua-Medic Tuboflotor multi 1000 skimmer - Two 60" Marineland Reef Capable LEDs - 8 1/2 years
Unread 06/27/2009, 04:11 PM   #214
mobert
Registered Member

Shot a video with my new iPhone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OukzEoeGqJU

Don't forget to rate my video!
Thanks,

Unread 06/29/2009, 12:09 AM   #215
melev
Moved On

Thanks for the link, Mona.

Unread 07/11/2009, 12:41 AM   #216
davocean
Registered Member

Wow, nice video, and nice peaceful soundtrack.
Only complaint, coulda been about an hour longer!LOL

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 07/11/2009, 01:23 AM   #217
moo0o
Premium Member

an iphone did that? damn, i need to get myself the new one.

Unread 07/11/2009, 11:28 AM   #218
99sf
Registered Member

Great video! What a paradise for the clownfish. Do they host the green anemones? They really seem to love the red nems.

Unread 07/11/2009, 12:26 PM   #219
mobert
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link, Mona.
Hi Mark,
I had referenced your wonderful webpage on sumps: http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html to answer a viewer question, and then a few days later, my answer disappeared. I wonder if I broke some YouTube rule. I had bookmarked your website when I first got into the hobby and I learned so much from it and wanted to share. So if it is ok, I want to post the link to your site map as I think it is chock full of valuable accurate information that one can spend hours learning:

http://www.melevsreef.com/links.html

Quote:
Originally posted by davocean
Wow, nice video, and nice peaceful soundtrack.
Only complaint, coulda been about an hour longer!LOL
davocean,
Stay tuned for a HD video taken by a professional with a real camera! Glad you enjoyed the soundtrack. It is music used at the Monterey Bay Aquarium created by Douglas Morton:
http://www.quparts.com/cgi-bin/cp-ap...=cat&ref=music

Quote:
Originally posted by moo0o
an iphone did that? damn, i need to get myself the new one.
Charles,
love love love my iPhone. It has a direct to YouTube option but the compression and lack of sound track makes the iphone to computer upload better. I had refused to swallow the apple pill for so long. I was sad that my Android phone couldn't make a phone call from home but now I am thrilled with the iPhone.

Quote:
Originally posted by 99sf
Great video! What a paradise for the clownfish. Do they host the green anemones? They really seem to love the red nems.
They seem to like the BTA's all equally well. The dominant egg laying pair live in the Mag and won't let anyone else in so I assume that is really the most favorite anemone. The immature clowns on the right side of the tank tend to hang together in groups so that is probably why they seemed to be so many in a Rose. Other times you might see a big bunch in a single green anemone.

Thanks all,
Mona

Last edited by mobert; 07/11/2009 at 12:49 PM.
Unread 07/12/2009, 05:09 PM   #220
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by mobert
Hi Mark,
I had referenced your wonderful webpage on sumps: http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html to answer a viewer question, and then a few days later, my answer disappeared. I wonder if I broke some YouTube rule. I had bookmarked your website when I first got into the hobby and I learned so much from it and wanted to share. So if it is ok, I want to post the link to your site map as I think it is chock full of valuable accurate information that one can spend hours learning:

http://www.melevsreef.com/links.html

Charles,
love love love my iPhone. It has a direct to YouTube option but the compression and lack of sound track makes the iphone to computer upload better. I had refused to swallow the apple pill for so long. I was sad that my Android phone couldn't make a phone call from home but now I am thrilled with the iPhone.
I have no idea about the YouTube thing. They are very particular about music selections, as far as I can tell. Feel free to do whatever you like - we aren't partners or anything. I guess my only video upload to YouTube raises some kind of flag perhaps. Whenever I get a new vid-camera, watch out YouTube.

I'm kind of envious of your new phone. I have the 3G myself, which I bought in January. I'll have to wait a bit to upgrade mine. My mother just bought the 3G S, of course.

Unread 07/12/2009, 05:37 PM   #221
FUA
Registered Member

wow what a pic

Unread 07/12/2009, 05:52 PM   #222
mobert
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FUA
wow what a pic
Taken with iPhone 3gs.

Unread 08/10/2009, 04:53 PM   #223
wteran
Registered Member

wow! i love your tank!

SCMAS Member
SCRK Member

Current Tank Info: 75g SeaClear system II mix reef
Unread 08/11/2009, 06:04 PM   #224
mobert
Registered Member

Duplicate from my other thread but I wanted to share over here...
thanks for the remarks folks!
Look what is new in the tank:

More to come:

It will be interesting to see how many survive. Two little guys out so far and they have "baby immunity" in the anemones.

Unread 08/12/2009, 01:04 AM   #225
e-ichan
Registered Member

New babies!!!

They are so cute!

Closed Thread