Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/29/2016, 11:33 AM   #1
BlueWorldJeff
Registered Member

Wrasse Hiding in the San

How long will a wrasse hide in sand once introduced into a display tank?

I bought a 3" checkerboard wrasse that I havent seen since Saturday when I put it in the tank

BlueWorldJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2016, 11:55 AM   #2
nuttyd
Registered Member

anyones guess. Have heard some dont hide at first, some couple days, some week or weeks. Others never do. There is not really set standard. Up to a week I wouldn't worry.

nuttyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2016, 11:59 AM   #3
ali1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWorldJeff View Post
How long will a wrasse hide in sand once introduced into a display tank?

I bought a 3" checkerboard wrasse that I havent seen since Saturday when I put it in the tank

They can be shy first few weeks. Theyre also jumpers. I would check overflows and nearby floor.

"I'm totally frustrated by this disease. My display has been fallow for 2 months now. If ich happened to mysteriously appear again, I'm giving up and going back to African Cichilds."
ali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2016, 12:03 PM   #4
BlueWorldJeff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali1 View Post
They can be shy first few weeks. Theyre also jumpers. I would check overflows and nearby floor.
The only opening is behind the tank and the overflow.

I have consistently checked behind the tank on the floor and in the sump (drain chamber, filter socks, skimmer chamber, etc)

Haven't seen it anywhere there yet.

Unread 11/29/2016, 12:04 PM   #5
tenurepro
Registered Member

A day to few days; leopards can take a weeks or so but yours is not a leopard. They hid when stressed too. Are there any aggressive fish that would bully the new addition into the sand ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2016, 12:11 PM   #6
ali1
Registered Member

I wouldnt worry about him then. He'll come out soon. Id ask to poke holes in the sand, but that would mess with water chemistry so id leave it alone

"I'm totally frustrated by this disease. My display has been fallow for 2 months now. If ich happened to mysteriously appear again, I'm giving up and going back to African Cichilds."
ali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2016, 12:14 PM   #7
BlueWorldJeff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenurepro View Post
A day to few days; leopards can take a weeks or so but yours is not a leopard. They hid when stressed too. Are there any aggressive fish that would bully the new addition into the sand ?

I have a leopard wrasse in the tank as well, but it didnt seem to care about the checkerboard wrasse when introduced. The tangs didnt care either (sailfin, naso and yellow eye kole). The flame angel and chromis are probably the biggest jerks, but they didnt seem to mind it for about 4 hours it was out in the water

Unread 11/29/2016, 12:18 PM   #8
downbeach
Registered Member

DT or QT? Have you looked at night? Usually they have to get their biological clocks re set to the new lighting schedule. The Blue Star Leopards I used to keep would take between 1 or 2 weeks the get themselves acclimated.

downbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2016, 12:19 PM   #9
sde1500
Registered Member

Going through the same thing myself right now. Melanurus wrasse has been hidden for a couple days now. It was out and swimming fine at the LFS so not worrying yet, just hope it comes out soon haha.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2016, 12:34 PM   #10
BlueWorldJeff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downbeach View Post
DT or QT? Have you looked at night? Usually they have to get their biological clocks re set to the new lighting schedule. The Blue Star Leopards I used to keep would take between 1 or 2 weeks the get themselves acclimated.
I'll check when the lights go out. Hope it is ok

Unread 11/29/2016, 02:11 PM   #11
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
This.

Unread 11/29/2016, 03:05 PM   #12
BlueWorldJeff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
This.
Only place I havent checked is the center overflow box, its hard to see into without a ladder. I'll do that tonight.

With my old tank and its coast to coast overflow, most anything that jumped in the overflow wound up in the sump

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon Mixed Reef - SPS, LPS, Apex Controller, Aquamaxx AM250 Skimmer, 2 x Tunze 6105, Waveline DC6000 Return Pump
Unread 11/29/2016, 03:42 PM   #13
evolved
Wrasse Nut

Quote:
The only opening is behind the tank and the overflow.
Meaning you have a canopy with an open back? Not to be overtly harsh here, but that is a recipe for disaster with wrasses. The tank must be COMPLETELY covered. I even recommend covering the top of a tank inside a canopy, as a canopy typically has a lot of "things" a fish could get caught in or injure themselves on.
If the tank has any avenues of escape for a jumping fish, you need to address that asap.

Quote:
Id ask to poke holes in the sand
Never dig up a buried wrasses. They seek refuge in the sand to escape danger (ie - stress) and digging one up simply furthers the perceived danger. It can only negatively impact the chances of success.

The best thing you can do is simply wait. It may be a week or two before you see the fish, assuming it is still in the tank.

Unread 11/29/2016, 03:54 PM   #14
Watchm@n
Registered Member

Quote:
I wouldnt worry about him then. He'll come out soon. Id ask to poke holes in the sand, but that would mess with water chemistry so id leave it alone
Hi ali1
What do u mean by that would mess with the the water chemistry? Is that not the same as stirring or vacuuming the sand bed?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Watchm@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2016, 04:01 PM   #15
BlueWorldJeff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Meaning you have a canopy with an open back? Not to be overtly harsh here, but that is a recipe for disaster with wrasses. The tank must be COMPLETELY covered. I even recommend covering the top of a tank inside a canopy, as a canopy typically has a lot of "things" a fish could get caught in or injure themselves on.
If the tank has any avenues of escape for a jumping fish, you need to address that asap.

Never dig up a buried wrasses. They seek refuge in the sand to escape danger (ie - stress) and digging one up simply furthers the perceived danger. It can only negatively impact the chances of success.

The best thing you can do is simply wait. It may be a week or two before you see the fish, assuming it is still in the tank.
I agree with the back being open as an issue. I have to cut some egg crate to seal that up..at least for bigger wrasses

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon Mixed Reef - SPS, LPS, Apex Controller, Aquamaxx AM250 Skimmer, 2 x Tunze 6105, Waveline DC6000 Return Pump
Unread 11/29/2016, 04:26 PM   #16
downbeach
Registered Member

Quote:
I agree with the back being open as an issue. I have to cut some egg crate to seal that up..at least for bigger wrasses
Until I made screen covers for my DT I used to staple plastic canvas across the back of the canopy. It did however leave the top of the overflow chambers exposed, and a Red Velvet Wrasse I had used to jump in and out of the chamber regularly. I think it was hunting pods.

downbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2016, 05:31 PM   #17
reef thief
Registered Member

3 days exactly. On the 72nd hour he will emerge.

Current Tank Info: 120 G glass
reef thief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2016, 03:40 PM   #18
BlueWorldJeff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef thief View Post
3 days exactly. On the 72nd hour he will emerge.
He's been out in the morning,but disappears as soon as the Leopard Wrasse makes its appearance. Not sure there is any aggression, but the timing seems to be when the leopard comes out the checkerboard disappears.

Unread 12/04/2016, 08:41 PM   #19
tenurepro
Registered Member

Try to watch interactions tomorrow morning... seems like aggression but you should confirm it.

Unread 12/04/2016, 08:43 PM   #20
tanksfishtank
Registered Member

We had a green chorus wrasse that hid for almost a month, and once he came out, he would randomly disappear for a few days now and again.

tanksfishtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2016, 10:30 AM   #21
BlueWorldJeff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenurepro View Post
Try to watch interactions tomorrow morning... seems like aggression but you should confirm it.

He's out now and the leopard is still asleep. I fed early to get him to eat and he's eating mysis and spirulina very well.

I'll see if when the leopard comes out if the checkerboard goes away and if there is any interaction

Unread 12/07/2016, 05:21 PM   #22
BlueWorldJeff
Registered Member

The checkerboard has been out with the leopard for the past couple days

Unread 12/08/2016, 05:49 AM   #23
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
The checkerboard has been out with the leopard for the past couple days

Good news

Tags
hiding, wrasse