Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/26/2017, 06:44 AM   #1
cmdives
Registered Member

1 of 2 Quarantine Fish Died, Next Steps?

I found my new ocellaris clownfish dead yesterday morning and I'm wondering what the best steps to take for my yellow/canary wrasse that I was also quarantining it with?

They were both introduced 3 wks ago direct from my LFS, both juvenilles. Clownfish was captive-bred while the wrasse was wild. Both were feeding well, both active, no signs of sickness. The day before my clownfish died, I noticed he had a tiny dark patches on either side of his front white bar. Didn't look like any kind of parasite, more like he'd rubbed or scratched himself. I was concerned he might have been bitten or attacked by the wrasse but watching them throughout that day I saw no aggressive behaviour between them. Anyways, next morning he was dead. Wrasse is currently looking normal, again no change in behaviour or eating. QT is bare 10G with basic carbon filter and recently added small pot with sand (from the main tank) for the wrasse to bury himself in.

I tried to take the water parameters (pH 8.1, alkalinity 4) but unfortunately my nitrite/nitrate kit has expired (my main tank is maintained by an outside provider as the aquarium is in a place of business and hence I haven't kept up with my water testing).

Not knowing if the water paramaters were perfect, I did an immediate 50% water change.

My question is: should I restart the clock on the wrasse and watch him for another 2-3 weeks? Should I be treating him for anything? I'll be trying to get to the LFS in the next couple days to get new test kits so should have more information in the next couple of days...

Thanks for any advice!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170425_090906.jpg (36.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20170425_090753.jpg (32.1 KB, 25 views)
cmdives is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2017, 06:46 AM   #2
sde1500
Registered Member

Sounds like this QT is more observational than anything. Have you used any sort of treatments in the tank?

Editing to add, may not have been any sort of disease. Hard to tell from the pic, beyond the clown had a pretty pinched head.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.

Last edited by sde1500; 04/26/2017 at 06:51 AM.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2017, 10:28 AM   #3
cmdives
Registered Member

No, haven't used any treatments in this tank. Only have used the QT as a holding tank to observe. Usually keep any new fish for 3-4 weeks before introducting to DT.

Had my DT/QT up and running for last two years and this is first time I've had a fish die. QT had been dormant but I started it up again approx 2 months ago and it cycled through another fish with no issues before this pair.

cmdives is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clownfish, quarantine help, quarantine problems, quarantine treatment, wrasse