Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/19/2019, 11:44 PM   #1
fullmonti
now is the time

Will xenia propagate from sump to display

Was thinking about putting some xenia in the sump and running reverse lighting schedule but would not want it to make the jump to the display. Will this happen? If so, other suggestions for a good low light coral for a sump to help keep ph more day night stable?

fullmonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2019, 05:49 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Its always a possibility..
What about a macro algae down there?

Unread 07/20/2019, 08:17 AM   #3
fullmonti
now is the time

Never had much luck with macro algae, it either dies or gets covered with other algae.

Definitely don't want xenia in the display though.

Unread 07/20/2019, 08:53 AM   #4
CAPT_Dave
Registered Member

Xenia will go everywhere eventually. Something will dislodge it in your sump or it will get crowded where it sits and a polyp will let go. The return pump will shred it and distribute the peices all over your display where they will settle on rocks, glass with Coraline, and even on top of zoas and monties and very quickly become new colonies.

New reefers like Xenia because they are resilient, grow and spread quickly, and their natural movement is very pleasing. Advanced reefers hate them because they are resilient, grow and spread quickly, and their natural movement isn't any better than any other LPS or softy.

I enjoyed it in my own tank for about six months when I was getting started and then it started to smother a really nice zoa garden I had going. Then I fought it for another 6 months. Every time I tried to save the zoas by cutting the Xenia back peieces would get loose and I'd have more Xenia. The only way I got rid of it was my tank matured and I got phosphates and nitrates very low and kept them there and the Xenia eventually melted away. Xenia like phosphates and nitrates, that's why it thrives in new aquariums. So do macro algae. That's why we like it in our sumps. If you're having trouble keeping algae in your sump you might have trouble keeping Xenia, too. Good for you!

Use a grow light in your sump, and not just a cheap CFL bulb. I get good results with a $25 LED grow bulb I found on Amazon but a cheap CFL will not compete with your expensive lights over your display. You might also try cleaning out your sump to get rid of as much of the GHA as you can and start fresh with some clean cheato from Algae Barn. It's worth it to make sure there is no GHA or pests hitchhiking in the new cheato.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 120 g mixed reef
CAPT_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2019, 12:30 PM   #5
fullmonti
now is the time

I suspected that may be the case with xenia. I never would get any for just those reasons but wondered if it would spread from sump to display.

Twice I have tried cheato in sumps with small refugium lights. Both time new different types of algae took over. This time I thought I would just put some kind of coral in the sump so some photosynthesis would be going on at night too. I may look for a small reef light for the sump and set up a frag rack in there.

Unread 07/20/2019, 03:12 PM   #6
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Do you have the Chaeto just sitting in the sump or do you have it in rotation so that it will form a ball or cylinder? I found that to be an important factor from keeping it clean

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2019, 06:20 PM   #7
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Yes they will spread. I've seem some very neat xenia-only tanks though.

Unread 07/21/2019, 06:17 PM   #8
rocklobster1
Registered Member

it will most definitely get into the display. maybe Kenya trees would better they are a bit larger and don't fall off as tiny. A lot of softies would do better like green star polyp, shrooms, or zoas.

rocklobster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2019, 07:21 PM   #9
fullmonti
now is the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Do you have the Chaeto just sitting in the sump or do you have it in rotation so that it will form a ball or cylinder? I found that to be an important factor from keeping it clean

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Sadly i have never had a setup where i could make the Cheat rotate. Best i could do was keep it moving but not a rotation action.