Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/09/2017, 04:20 PM   #1
Weld and Water
Registered Member

Possible fish for my tank

I have been snooping around the forums for quite a while and finally decided to join up. The knowledge that is shared here is amazing. My question is.... i have a jbj 45 gallon RL series cube. Its been up and running for a little over 4 months. I currently have one ocellaris clownfish in the tank. I went to the LFS today and they talked me into a lyretale anthias. I got home and acclimated her. She seems to be doing great and i can manage the amount of feedings she needs but i keep reading she needs to be in a much larger tank. Should i remove her or will she be ok as a single in the tank.
I appologize for such im sure a redundant question but im still fairly new and should have researched before i bought her.

Thanks in advance for any and all help

Weld and Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2017, 09:40 PM   #2
ericp351
Registered Member

They need a much larger tank unfortunately. The people at the store you purchased it at should know what size tank that fish requires. Not good.

Current Tank Info: 120g 48X24X24 40g sump, Iwaki md55rlt return w/penductors, Tunze streams, MRC MR-2 skimmer, 1/4 hp chiller, 2 X 250 de. mh, T5 actinics, MRC CR2 calcium reactor, 130lbs lr, 2" sandbed, SPS dominated with some LPS, softies and clams. No longer set up.
ericp351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2017, 05:51 AM   #3
Weld and Water
Registered Member

Thanks for your reply eric. Ill be taking her to another LFS that will give her what she needs. I appreciate the help.

Unread 07/10/2017, 07:06 AM   #4
hartin461
Registered Member

a blenny would do well in your tank. I have a starry blenny with tons of personality and cleans algae off rocks constantly..

hartin461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2017, 07:26 AM   #5
Weld and Water
Registered Member

Just looked at one and the look spectacular. I will deffinately swap out the anthias for one i appreciate the advice

Unread 07/10/2017, 02:30 PM   #6
Valentini89
Registered Member

Go to liveaquaria.com and check out the valentini puffer. It has alot of character and it's coloring is nice too. Also the way it swims is unique.

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Valentini89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2017, 02:59 PM   #7
Weld and Water
Registered Member

Would they be reef safe. Not doubting you man just dont wanna wake up to my corals being munched on haha

Unread 07/10/2017, 03:07 PM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

never buy anything based on the word of an employee (or a single member here).. plain and simple..

Do you research first..multiple sources of knowledge.... then buy smart..and enjoy..

pick a fish YOU like.. and one that works for your specific tank/situation,etc...
liveaquaria is a great site to browse and read/learn.. start there..

Unread 07/10/2017, 03:18 PM   #9
Valentini89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weld and Water View Post
Would they be reef safe. Not doubting you man just dont wanna wake up to my corals being munched on haha
They aren't supposed to be reef safe but I have 2 with some coral and so far all they do is nibble once in a while. It's not like they destroy corals or anything. I don't know about other larger puffers though. I agree though, you should research each fish and get it because YOU want it.

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Unread 07/10/2017, 05:09 PM   #10
Weld and Water
Registered Member

Thank you all for the advice i seriously appreciate it. Ive learned my lesson on this one. Ive decided to go with the helfrichi firefish and the yellow watchman goby. Both are very beautiful fish. Again i appreciate all the advice it just makes this forum so much better

Unread 07/10/2017, 05:15 PM   #11
heathlindner25
Moved On

Wrasse are nice.

heathlindner25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2017, 05:24 PM   #12
Valentini89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weld and Water View Post
Thank you all for the advice i seriously appreciate it. Ive learned my lesson on this one. Ive decided to go with the helfrichi firefish and the yellow watchman goby. Both are very beautiful fish. Again i appreciate all the advice it just makes this forum so much better
I have a firefish, nice addition to any tank, although they are fast and jumpy. I advise a lid if you don't have one already.

Unread 07/10/2017, 09:16 PM   #13
Weld and Water
Registered Member

Ill deffinately make sure i have a lid for the firefish. I appreciate everybody's help and advice!

Unread 07/11/2017, 04:01 PM   #14
Weld and Water
Registered Member

Ive got some bad news guys. The Lyretale passed away. Ive tried for several days to capture her with no luck and come home today to try my hardest to get her out and to a bigger tank and shes was dead. Just sad. I know part of this is my fault for not researching like should have and i accept that but the guys at the lfs should have filled me in on that tid bit of info though. Just wanted to update everyone but i bring bad news. HUGE lesson learned

Tags
anthias, fish advice, tank advice