Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/23/2018, 11:08 PM   #1
Subculture14
Registered Member

Overflow Tank/Zero Edge Fish Ideas, Fish keep Going over the falls!

Hello.

So here's my dilemma. I recently purchased and set up a custom 220g zero edge overflow aquarium. I built a solid birch cabinet and have it centered in my study and just ordered a few pieces of CeramEco pieces to redo the aquascape. Here is my problem...the tank is 18" high and has 2 Vectra L1 pumps totaling about 6000gph so my flow is pretty high. Unfortunately, that means that fish keep going over the falls. There is a small drain trough around the tank about 4" wide where I keep finding fish. Here is what has gone over so far.

dragon face pipefish-survived lost tail fin
dragon face pipe fish-survived is fine
black ocellaris clownfish-survived
falco hawkfish (7x)-again and again but fine
black ocellaris clownfish pair-dead
red dragonette-dead
lighning maroon clownfish-dead
powder brown tang-dead

Currently I have a niger trigger, marine beta, flameback angel, and a purple firefish that have not gone over. These with my 2 dragonface pipefish, falco hawk, and 2 black ocellaris that I got to replace the pair are still with me.

So here it is: Anyone have any ideas on what fish might be good. I know now that this design although beautiful is not practical AT ALL. I don't mind buying new fish I just honestly hate killing them.

I'll post more photos if anyone is interested.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180122_190700_resized.jpg (55.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 20180122_190818_resized.jpg (49.9 KB, 59 views)
Subculture14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2018, 04:28 PM   #2
Cliving1
Registered Member

First off thats an awesome tank. Second, I dont really have any good advice, I have never encountered one of these tanks. That being said, why dont you call the manufacturer, you cannot be the only person with this problem. Perhaps they have a solution that is not an eyesore, but will help keep your fish from going over.

If you put a goby or fish that stays in the rockwork like a possum wrasse, would they still go over?

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 12:25 PM   #3
Subculture14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliving1 View Post
First off thats an awesome tank. Second, I dont really have any good advice, I have never encountered one of these tanks. That being said, why dont you call the manufacturer, you cannot be the only person with this problem. Perhaps they have a solution that is not an eyesore, but will help keep your fish from going over.

If you put a goby or fish that stays in the rockwork like a possum wrasse, would they still go over?
Thanks for replying, I appreciate any advice.

I may try to company. Dealing with them is either amazing or absolutely dreadful. Lately,(after my purchase) its been horrible. They owe me parts and $.

I have a falco hawk and he has literally gone over 7 times! He's tough as hell and is fine. I'm a bit weary of the weaker swimmers. Most fish I've noticed with the night camera swim around with lights off before bed, even my pipefish, dragonette, etc.

I'm tired of murdering fish.

Subculture14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 12:41 PM   #4
OrionN
Moved on

I do not think your problem have a solution other than removing the zero edge overflow. I am sorry. You can add a row of teeth on the edge. You see what I mean.
Best of luck

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish advice, fish help, zero edge