Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/10/2018, 12:12 AM   #1
jjencek
Registered Member

Placing corals based on depth of tank water

Not having a PAR meter, I have been trying to figure out generally where to place different corals. Specifically my new Acros. I am looking at images of winning DTs and trying to figure the depth of the water. I have placed some corrals mid-way (20 cm = 9 inches from top)and I think I burned them.

As a general rule, I have read they should be mid to high. So what does deep/mid/high mean in cm (inches) from the top? Here is my tank info.

Max Height of water column is 48 cm (19 inches).
Lighting - 6 x T5 39 Watts (5 cm above surface)
Very clear water

Where would you put an Acro to acclimatize it and then where to place it after that?

jjencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2018, 08:17 AM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

What I do for my tank - a standard 120g 4'x2'x2' using 2 x AI Sol blues set to 45W/65B/65RB - is this. I put the coral where I want it to be long term right away. I then use multiple layers of fiberglass window screening on top of my DIY screen tops, placed to create a shadow over the new coral. Over a period of a few weeks I then remove a layer at a time to slowly increase the lighting to the newbie without having to worry about other corals suddenly not getting what they are used to. This allows the new coral to adjust to it's new home with minimal stress and at least so far, no bleaching.

Most corals are quite adaptable if you give them the chance.

hth

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2018, 11:14 AM   #3
jjencek
Registered Member

I like that approach. I don't like to move them as soon as they get comfortable.

How long does that process take? Days, weeks, months before they are at full light?

jjencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2018, 01:44 PM   #4
billdogg
Registered Member

Glad I could help!

I usually do it over a couple weeks, depending on what it is and how close to the lights it is.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote