Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/22/2017, 10:18 AM   #1
Horace
Registered Member

Horace's new mixed SPS 180g Rimless Build

I am back in the hobby after about 6 years away. I tore down for what I thought was a short move. 5 moves later I have built a brand new home and ready to rock! (I think I am finally staying put for a while).

My first tank ever (of any kind) was a mixed SPS tank. As I noted in my ReefCentral Reefer Of The Month (ROTM) thread, my success is directly attrribuable to the expertise found here!

Here is my first tank (75g All-Glass reefready with 30g in-stand sump, 2x 400w XM20k + 1x110w VHO Super Actinic, DIY Deltec Clone skimmer, Zeovit reactor, carbon/gfo reactors, Mag 9.5 return, in sump fuge/macro)

Current Tank Info: New 180g Mixed SPS Build in progress

Last edited by Horace; 08/29/2017 at 01:07 PM.
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2017, 10:28 AM   #2
fabulousfavia
Registered Member

Nice. Can't wait to see what the future holds for this tank build. I just finished a 55g tank build (not posted on RC yet)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon rimless saltwater reef tank and many more
fabulousfavia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2017, 10:29 AM   #3
Horace
Registered Member

Now that you have an idea of what I I did before, I want this new tank to be every bit as good and better!

This new tank is a 180g Rimless (I hate working around braces), and 3- Sided Starfire. The tank was built by ConceptAquariums.ca in Calgary. They did a pretty good job. The first tank arrived with a crack so it had to be replaced (which is a long story), but in the end the new tank they sent was pretty nice. I think it could have been done a bit better, but in the end, I think its probably above Glass-Cages quality, which was my intent. It also was a very reasonable cost given the exchange rate between the US and Canada right now.

Overall, I am phsyced and cant wait to get this build REALLY going!

Here are some pics to start!

Tank Schematic:

Tank in place: (It seems it has taken FOREVER to get to this point!!!!!!)

Unread 07/22/2017, 10:34 AM   #4
Horace
Registered Member

For this build, my plan is to put the sump in the basement. The main reason is i want/need this to be virtually silent. My last tank was amazingly loud, and that is something I want to avoid this go around.

Here is the 60g Sump (also built by ConceptAquariums)

Unread 07/22/2017, 10:41 AM   #5
Horace
Registered Member

Here is my light fixture. This was one of my best DIY projects ever . This is a 6ft long Makers LED fixture, that currently has 6x Lumia 5.2 LED clusters. Each LED has 5 channels, and individually dimmable, and controlled via the bluefish mini (wifi).

At this point I dont know if this will be enough on its own, and I anticipate potentially adding some T5 tubes later for better light spread, but coming back to the hobby I really wanted to give LEDs a shot. These seemed like a great choice and come highly recommended if you are into DIY .

Here is what each LED cluster looks like:

Unread 07/22/2017, 10:47 AM   #6
Horace
Registered Member

Here is a bunch of other goodies:

Vertex Skimmer
Dual chamber Calcium Reactor
Rollermat - (This thing looked really cool and i always hated changing socks)
Reefflakes
Marco Rocks (My reef will start with mostly Marco Rocks. I had a hell of a time with pests in my last tank like aptasia, majonos etc that I would prefer not deal with this go around)

DIY Dual Stage Regulator - If you have a single stage, I suggest looking into the reasons to go dual stage!

Unread 07/22/2017, 11:59 AM   #7
Horace
Registered Member

I am REALLY waffling on going basement sump or under stand. I do have plenty of room under my stand, but I wont have the flexibility of adding frag tanks, and other larger items.

My pumps this go around are very very quiet, but still not certain if they will be quiet enough.

I suppose I could start the build with everything under the tank, and then go basement later if noise is an issue. So long as I do this during the cycle period it wont be THAT big of a deal to move the sump downstairs.

What would you do?

Unread 07/22/2017, 12:56 PM   #8
fabulousfavia
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
Here is my light fixture. This was one of my best DIY projects ever . This is a 6ft long Makers LED fixture, that currently has 6x Lumia 5.2 LED clusters. Each LED has 5 channels, and individually dimmable, and controlled via the bluefish mini (wifi).

At this point I dont know if this will be enough on its own, and I anticipate potentially adding some T5 tubes later for better light spread, but coming back to the hobby I really wanted to give LEDs a shot. These seemed like a great choice and come highly recommended if you are into DIY .

Here is what each LED cluster looks like:

Eventually you should do a t5/LED hybrid. You can keep almost anything with a hybrid like that. You must have enduring patience to build your own lights. Something I never would have done.

Unread 07/22/2017, 12:57 PM   #9
fabulousfavia
Registered Member

Quote:
For this build, my plan is to put the sump in the basement. The main reason is i want/need this to be virtually silent. My last tank was amazingly loud, and that is something I want to avoid this go around.

Here is the 60g Sump (also built by ConceptAquariums)

Good choice. Basement sumps are a good idea because you can't hear any of the noise.

Unread 07/22/2017, 12:59 PM   #10
fabulousfavia
Registered Member

Quote:
Here is a bunch of other goodies:

Vertex Skimmer
Dual chamber Calcium Reactor
Rollermat - (This thing looked really cool and i always hated changing socks)
Reefflakes
Marco Rocks (My reef will start with mostly Marco Rocks. I had a hell of a time with pests in my last tank like aptasia, majonos etc that I would prefer not deal with this go around)

DIY Dual Stage Regulator - If you have a single stage, I suggest looking into the reasons to go dual stage!

A roller mat is a good idea. I also use a dual reactor and it keeps my water pristine.

Unread 07/22/2017, 01:03 PM   #11
fabulousfavia
Registered Member

Quote:
I am REALLY waffling on going basement sump or under stand. I do have plenty of room under my stand, but I wont have the flexibility of adding frag tanks, and other larger items.

My pumps this go around are very very quiet, but still not certain if they will be quiet enough.

I suppose I could start the build with everything under the tank, and then go basement later if noise is an issue. So long as I do this during the cycle period it wont be THAT big of a deal to move the sump downstairs.

What would you do?

If I were you I would just start out with a basement sump. I doubt noise would be an issue even if you had your filtration under your stand, but if you do a basement sump you will have room for qt tanks, frag growout stations, and maybe a small fish room.

Unread 07/22/2017, 02:02 PM   #12
Horace
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulousfavia View Post
If I were you I would just start out with a basement sump. I doubt noise would be an issue even if you had your filtration under your stand, but if you do a basement sump you will have room for qt tanks, frag growout stations, and maybe a small fish room.

Yeah, I hear you on that. I really do want a basement sump, but there are several minor hangups that go along with it.

To name a few:
- I need to cut holes in the wall of my brand new house

- I need to run very long pipes and the head pressure is extreme. I do have a pump that can handle it (DCP18000 I test it and its more than enough flow), and it will be way overkill for an under-stand setup, but I can dial it down because its a DC pump.

- I cant easily control anything in the basement with my apex if I put the apex with my tank, OR vice versa, if I put the apex in the basement, I cant easily control anything in the tank w/out super long wires. I would also have to use the app as opposed to the display panel (probably not a big negative really), because going downstairs to do anything would be a PITA. My current challenge is how would i turn off all pumps to feed? If I do a sump install, it would require likely both triggering the feed button on the main pump, AND the in tank pumps, unless I ran a long wire from the tank down to the pump (doable I suppose).

- I am a bit concerned with sump overflows given the amount of water backflowing to the sump during power shut down (i do not want check valves, or are they dependable). Because of such a long run of fairly large return line (1.25"), that is quite a bit of water that has to be accounted for in the sump for standard running level. Any slight clog in my siphon break could end up with water on the floor (the positive is at least it would be in the basement and more easily contained.

- Overall, the setup is more costly, and much more labor intensive to setup.

Unread 07/22/2017, 04:43 PM   #13
fabulousfavia
Registered Member

It is totally up to you. If you want an extensive project that can lengthen the time of your build. Super long Ethernet cables (for the apex) are not super expensive though as I got a hundred foot cat 6 for $12. If your budget and patience are high I would say totally go for it. It just might save you if one of your pipes starts to spray water. Even without the apex display module it is easy to control your tank via your phone and what I usually prefer. Either way whichever you choose will be great.

Unread 07/23/2017, 04:33 PM   #14
Horace
Registered Member

Today was a long day of working on the tank, with not a ton to show for it. I went to Lowe's and bought about $100 worth of PVC fittings to start plumbing.

For now, I have made the hard decision to put the sump under the stand. I can always change direction later but that is the plan for now.

I also had to do some work on the sump. Because I am going with the Rollermat instead of socks, the sock holder section of the sump was wasting a ton of space so it had to be removed. Let me tell u removing glass baffles that are siliconed in is a real *****! I likely will put the Rollermat in or above the sump to minimize any flood risk, though I'm considering risking it based on the size of the unit. The space in the sump is valuable, so positioning it outside of the sump will allow me to put my skimmer in the first section as opposed to my second. This would make room for an ATS and perhaps a frag rack .... decisions decisions.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Horace; 07/29/2017 at 08:35 PM.
Unread 07/24/2017, 03:57 PM   #15
Horace
Registered Member

Round 1 of rock scaping

I think it came out pretty decent. Without going extreme with PVC supports and mortar to hold it all up, it's got a ton of nooks and crannies while not just looking like a man-made stack of rocks with unnatural arches and leges that I see so often.

My last tank was the fruit stand look of the old days. I think this look is a bit more natural and much more of the sand bed is visible. Leaning towards minimalist scaping.

I definitely welcome input and opinions!

Unread 07/25/2017, 07:45 PM   #16
NCReefDude
Registered Member

I love the minimalist look with rock work, especially in 6ft tanks

NCReefDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2017, 10:08 AM   #17
Horace
Registered Member

I am not sure I would do this again...dang was this alot of work!

Unread 07/30/2017, 08:44 PM   #18
fabulousfavia
Registered Member

Quote:
Round 1 of rock scaping

I think it came out pretty decent. Without going extreme with PVC supports and mortar to hold it all up, it's got a ton of nooks and crannies while not just looking like a man-made stack of rocks with unnatural arches and leges that I see so often.

My last tank was the fruit stand look of the old days. I think this look is a bit more natural and much more of the sand bed is visible. Leaning towards minimalist scaping.

I definitely welcome input and opinions!

It's nice, but with a minimalist approach there is less space for coral unless you want a bunch of soft coral islands. If you have minimalist I would suggest doing a gravel bed section and quite a bit of rubble.

Unread 07/31/2017, 12:59 PM   #19
Horace
Registered Member

I've got a lot of space in the sump. I can put some rubble in there. Actually that was my plan anyway for helping to build/maintain a pod population.

Unread 08/01/2017, 07:56 AM   #20
fabulousfavia
Registered Member

Quote:
I've got a lot of space in the sump. I can put some rubble in there. Actually that was my plan anyway for helping to build/maintain a pod population.

An even better way would be chateo. The pods will find it immediately and will colonize in it. Unless you put a lot of rubble in your sump, they won't colonize very much.

Unread 08/01/2017, 08:27 PM   #21
Horace
Registered Member

Cheato will not survive in my tank with a turf scrubber, otherwise I would. There will be enough...

Unread 08/02/2017, 09:00 AM   #22
fabulousfavia
Registered Member

Quote:
Cheato will not survive in my tank with a turf scrubber, otherwise I would. There will be enough...

Okay if you have a lot of rock than it should be fine.

Unread 08/03/2017, 09:05 AM   #23
Horace
Registered Member

Tank is currently being filled!

So exciting

Pictures of the plumbing etc are forthcoming!

Unread 08/03/2017, 07:47 PM   #24
Horace
Registered Member

HALF FULL!

Here is the plumbing so far. I still have to finish gluing the lower part of the drains (thus the reason u can see some unpainted portions. I also still need to plumb the Rollermat and reactors into the return manifold. I decided to run pretty much everything from the return, at least for now.

Calcium reactor also needs a home, and I am hoping to find room for a ATS. I may have to build a narrow one to fit in the middle sump chamber. I plan to keep the Rollermat external and put that on a stand next to/ over the drain section.

Unread 08/04/2017, 07:11 AM   #25
BlackburnD
Registered Member

Looks legit. I am just getting back around to learning about the hobby again after a 10 year hiatus. Couple questions. You intend to leave the stand open like that, or are there some panels that go around it? I was thinking of building a steel stand like this, and was comptemplating ways to make and secure covers.

Also what is a Rollermat? I assume it's that odd contraption on the left outside the sump

BlackburnD is offline   Reply With Quote