Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10/17/2017, 04:50 PM   #2776
sam.basye
Registered Member

You sure it's not something fishy going on with the QT?
Sure seems like you haven't been having much luck with anything you've put in there.

Current Tank Info: 26 gal Bowfront foam wall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall Instructable: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php
sam.basye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2017, 05:01 PM   #2777
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

Both groups of chromis displayed the same symptoms, so I'm pretty sure it was uromena. There were two mollies in there with them, and they're still doing fine.

But yes, there has been something fishy going on, and that's my slackness with quarantine in general. Hopefully, I've learned my lesson this time!

The best defense against disease is to never get it. In decades of fish keeping, my success rate at curing sick fish is 0%.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass-Mangrove Mudbank Lagoon
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2017, 08:44 PM   #2778
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

So, after all that depressing news, I have some good news.

My seagrasses are pearling! For those not acquainted with the term, pearling is when an aquatic plant produces little bubbles that look like tiny pearls. The bubbles are oxygen. When this happens it means that the plant is photosynthesizing well and growing. It also means that my tank water is super saturated with oxygen, so no more can dissolve into the water, so it bubbles out. This commonly happens in fresh water planted tanks, but it's the first time I've seen it in my marine planted tank. So yay!

Hopefully, this means I've got some new growth coming up…

Old 10/17/2017, 09:18 PM   #2779
sam.basye
Registered Member

Exciting! Hopefully they really start multiplying!

Current Tank Info: 26 gal Bowfront foam wall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall Instructable: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php
sam.basye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2017, 05:55 AM   #2780
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Congrats on the sea grasses pearling!

Sorry to hear about the chromis. I know you were looking forward to them brightening your tank. Keep your chin up. It's all a learning process. Sometimes we take a step backward so we can move forward. Better luck next time.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2017, 06:50 AM   #2781
McPuff
Registered Member

Hooray for the plant success! Very cool.

Boo to the fish deaths. Sorry to hear that. But you have a good attitude going forward. And it's better to have happened in QT!!! Others will learn from your mistakes if they actually pay attention. The important thing really is that you learn from it (obviously you have!).

Sounds like you'll need to carry that paranoia forward as it pertains to QT and fish disease. I have often asked myself, "do I really want to go through all that work?" Then I think about the consequences of NOT doing it. Yes, even though the fish or coral came from someone's clean and healthy tank, there is still a possibility that disease is hitching a ride. An ounce of prevention...

Don't give up on the Vanderbilts. I'm sure you'll have success with the next batch if you can give them a sterile environment. I'd suggest doing TTM first, and then dropping them into a clean QT tank. Have you had uronema in your display tank?

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2017, 09:16 AM   #2782
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

Chasmodes, sam.basye, and McPuff, thanks for the encouraging words! I agree, a little paranoia is a good thing, when it comes to new fish. I've benefitted from my come one, come all attitude with plants, getting several freebies and hitchhikers, but with fish, not so much.

From here on out, I plan to be a stickler for details, regarding QT. It's a pretty safe assumption that every fish you get, comes with some kind of 'nasty'. In the sea, these nasties usually aren't a problem, but in our closed systems they quickly get out of hand. So, it's quarantine paranoia from here on out!

Luckily, uronema was never introduced to my display tank. And the hypo seems to have worked at eradicating ICK. So my display is safe. I think…

Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM   #2783
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Sounds like a good plan for the future. I just went the hypo route last night on my 20g high. If it works, then the 20g high will be my QT tank once the larger tank is ready to go.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biotope, caribbean, food chain detrivores, macro algae, seagrass