Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/19/2014, 04:07 AM   #1
unze
Registered Member

TUNZE 9430 Skimmer

I set up a Tunze 9430 Skimmer

It is a awesome skimmer, Skims better than any Deltec skimmer i have had.
Its set and forget. The beauty is also the nice compact size. i have so much extra space in my sump now for other equipment.

Why are these not more popular?

Last edited by unze; 07/19/2014 at 04:14 AM.
unze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2014, 05:02 PM   #2
Macca_75
Registered Member

I've been running the older 9420 and asking myself the same question for years. Really basic design that works well. Quiet and efficient.

Macca_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2014, 08:51 PM   #3
Rwinfrey
Registered Member

They have my vote to great skimmer

Current Tank Info: Wish I had one building a house
Rwinfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2014, 09:41 PM   #4
Macca_75
Registered Member

While we are here, does anyone have a link to show how to add a drain tube so the cup auto drains away (mine fills in about 2 days but as it is wet skim mate the neck doesn't really need to be cleaned. It would be good to go 4-6 days between empting the cup if I could.)

Unread 07/21/2014, 12:46 PM   #5
unze
Registered Member

just drill a hole at the side of the cup, you have to be careful not to crack it. Maybe take it to a acrylic Business so they can put a tap in it. Mine also fills up quick. i cut 5mm off the outlet pipe, this drop the water level inside the skimmer a little so i get darker skimmate.

Unread 07/21/2014, 12:49 PM   #6
unze
Registered Member

On a side note, Roger what does Tunze over rate the skimmers, the 9430 instructions says its for a 3000 Litre tank. i think given the size of the skimmer i doubt it can, would be better to be more Conservative.

Unread 07/21/2014, 04:15 PM   #7
Macca_75
Registered Member

If you read the Tunze website, the skimmer is rated for 3000 litres but you need to reduce it by the factor based on the tank contents - SPS you reduce it by 70% so it's for a 900 litre, LPS is a reduction of around 40% so 1800 litres and larger for a flubber tank.

I'd love to reduce the height and make the skimmate darker but we can't source the pipe here in Australia easily if I go to short. My skimmate is about the colour of yours in the socnd pic and the cup is full in 2 days.

Unread 07/21/2014, 06:19 PM   #8
unze
Registered Member

i am sure aqua depot can source the pipe if you need it, if you want it a little darker cut off 5mm. you can make that up anyway as the filter bag attachment allows you to increase the water height.

the pic above was taken before i cut off 5mm. it is a little darker which i like,

Unread 07/21/2014, 08:15 PM   #9
unze
Registered Member

i am going to put a Vertex Vectra Skimmer Neck Cleaner on the Tunze,
Should work great, will also put a drain on the cup as mine also fills in a few days.

Unread 07/21/2014, 08:25 PM   #10
ga_gant
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unze View Post
i am going to put a Vertex Vectra Skimmer Neck Cleaner on the Tunze,

Should work great, will also put a drain on the cup as mine also fills in a few days.

Why not use an avast swabbie instead? They will machine a top specifically for your skimmer which would probably work better than a modded vertex neck cleaner.

Current Tank Info: 55gal 36x18x20, 20gal sump, Avast CS1 and Swabbie, TLF GFO+Carbon, Eheim 1260, AI Hydra52 x2 w/Director, Tunze NanoStream 6095 x2, Apex Lite w/VDM+PM2
ga_gant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2014, 12:35 PM   #11
rvitko
RC Sponsor

We don't really over rate them, the catalog and manual explain the rating system, the highest or stated rating is for a FOWLR or what used to be called a Dutch Reef, basically a bunch of caulerpas and mushrooms and a few leathers. Deduct 20% for a soft coral tank, 40% for LPS or mixed reef, 60% for SPS and 70% for a very heavily stocked SPS and fish tank. The ratings reflect a desire to stay consistent with our ratings from the earliest days, we have made skimmers since the 60s and at that time through the 80's the dutch or non photosynthetic reef was what people kept because the lighting technology and knowledge on calcium demand, etc was just not available. If you look at an older Baensch Marine Atlas or find an old FAMA from the 80's or early 90s you can see what was the vogue at the time, a huge bank of T-12 flourescents and a few leathers, caulerpas and mushrooms. Maybe some flame scallops or a sea apple and a very few fish.

The skimmers have become very popular in the last year, they use to be priced much higher but we changed the assembly technique, and used a little thinner material and were able to cut the costs by a lot and still keep them made in Germany.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2014, 05:16 PM   #12
unze
Registered Member

nice skimmers, would be nice to have something in between the 9430 and 9480.

also a improvement could be to be able to adjust the outflow pipe so that you can get a darker skim. currently they skim light. i cut my outlet pipe by 5mm which helped to skim a little darker.

The cup size is to small for the 9430, fills in two days.

Unread 07/24/2014, 09:21 AM   #13
unze
Registered Member

More pics

Unread 07/24/2014, 09:26 AM   #14
unze
Registered Member

Quote:
We don't really over rate them, the catalog and manual explain the rating system, the highest or stated rating is for a FOWLR or what used to be called a Dutch Reef, basically a bunch of caulerpas and mushrooms and a few leathers. Deduct 20% for a soft coral tank, 40% for LPS or mixed reef, 60% for SPS and 70% for a very heavily stocked SPS and fish tank. The ratings reflect a desire to stay consistent with our ratings from the earliest days, we have made skimmers since the 60s and at that time through the 80's the dutch or non photosynthetic reef was what people kept because the lighting technology and knowledge on calcium demand, etc was just not available. If you look at an older Baensch Marine Atlas or find an old FAMA from the 80's or early 90s you can see what was the vogue at the time, a huge bank of T-12 flourescents and a few leathers, caulerpas and mushrooms. Maybe some flame scallops or a sea apple and a very few fish.
Sure I understand, but times has changed, not many keep Dutch reef, rating should cover today's standard stocking levels.

Unread 07/25/2014, 06:20 PM   #15
ksed
Registered Member

Are all those bubbles in the sump from the skimmer?

ksed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2014, 01:45 PM   #16
unze
Registered Member

No, from the return from the tanks.

Not a issue

Unread 08/06/2014, 03:45 PM   #17
DDRR
Registered Member

Unze, what size tank do you run the 9430 on?

DDRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2014, 04:16 AM   #18
unze
Registered Member

1400 litre system

Unread 07/06/2017, 03:00 AM   #19
unze
Registered Member

Skimmer still going strong after 3 years, just replaced pump with a DC pump.
Nice to have a DC pump but no real advantage.
Very good skimmer, Mine has never overflowed and is so quiet.

Last edited by unze; 07/06/2017 at 03:08 AM. Reason: added
Unread 07/06/2017, 08:40 AM   #20
rvitko
RC Sponsor

For me the DC pumps make tuning easier but otherwise outside of more power at maximum speed than the AC pumps, it is not a huge difference. Thank you!

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 07/06/2017, 04:31 PM   #21
Macca_75
Registered Member

I have the 9420 and it is constantly overflowing out the hole - is the different behaviour a design change/fine tune or is my skimmer not operating as expected? I also thought overflow was expected.

Unread 07/07/2017, 07:54 AM   #22
rvitko
RC Sponsor

A slow trickle from the hole is normal, this is a relief for the anti overcoming chamber. If there is a lot of water exiting then the skimmer is submerged too deep or the stand pipe or sponges/ filter basket are too high.

Unread 07/09/2017, 07:31 PM   #23
Macca_75
Registered Member

This is what I have (please excuse the state of the skimmer - reducing Nitrate so there is a bit of slime and salt creep as my hands are in there to often)

Also Roger, is there any chance you have the foam pads on the outlet pipe still available? I know the skimmer has since been superseded, but my foam has started to deteriorate.

And lastly while I have your attention I am thinking of adding the second pump - can I still purchase the shorter pipe from either yourself or via AquaDepot?

Cheers

Unread 07/10/2017, 09:12 AM   #24
rvitko
RC Sponsor

That flow is a bit high but not completely out of line. I would try lowering the water level and giving the pipe a firm push.

The shorter stand pipe is still available. I don't ship to Australia but AquaDepot to Tunze.com are sources. The foam pads are no longer available, you could add the current filter basket or likely cut some foam to fit yourself.

Unread 07/10/2017, 05:29 PM   #25
Macca_75
Registered Member

Thanks Roger. Is the filter basket the one that fits a standard mesh sock? (Like on the 9410 but an appropriate size)? If so, is it a spare from the 9430?

Thanks