Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/27/2017, 04:51 PM   #1
subbedout
Registered Member

First SPS - a section of retracted polyps

I picked up my first SPS frags this weekend: PC Rainbow, Red Planet, Oregon Tort, and Rainbow Digi. The Digi has a section of polyps that are retracted since Sunday (red arrow in photo shows the Digi). Any idea what's going on?

The others seem to be doing OK, right?

I have 66 gallon tank with a sump, skimmer, chaeto growing in sump, and Icecap 3k gyre. My parameters are SG 1.028, Ammonia/Nitrate/Nitrite 0 (API), Calc 500 (API), Dkh 8.5 (API), pH 7.8, Phosphate .03 (Hanna).

Thanks!

subbedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2017, 05:09 PM   #2
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Looks good but keep an eye on the Oregon tort, they tend to be a bit more difficult and brown out easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2017, 05:21 PM   #3
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Do you mean near the top? If so, then that is normal - the polyps lag behind the new growth. Don't sweat the digi - they are really hardy and can be bulletproof in most tanks. In any case, they look fine to me.

Your tank looks pretty young and sterile. Don't be surprised if these struggle - especially the acropora. I might suggest that you set your expectations low with acros and new tanks - not impossible, but not super easy either.

Good luck.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote