Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/18/2018, 03:57 AM   #1
candymancan
Registered Member.

can Uv sterilizers create ozone ?

I put my 36w Uv sterilizer on my 60g hex reef tonight as im having an ich problem.. I cant dose meds and i dont want to wait 8 weeks and quaruntine and all that id rarher try to manage it by no stress.. clean tank and uv to maybe help kill some of the parasites.

I put the UV sterilizer after my 4 liter reactor.canister i made of seachem denitrate. The only thing is the pump on it is a eheim 1060 i believe ive had for 20 years for my computers watercooling.. Been running non stop lol great pump.. its like 170gph but going through the reactor its slowed down to about 40gph.

This is pretty slow for the UV i figure well slower the better and itll have more time to kill the parasites.

But i read too slow and uv can create ozone. Is this true ? I know ozone can be very bad for humans.. and since this is in my bedroom i dunno lol.

I sware i smelled something wierd as i just went into bed but maybe its my imagination..

I unplugged the uv just in case.

What do you guys think ?

candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2018, 06:09 AM   #2
neilp2006
Registered Member

Yes

In fact, an older method for producing ozone in a research setting (ozone generator for sterilization of equipment) was to UV treat a standing reservoir of seawater. 1930-1950s tech used in UK

You might have produced a tiny amount- but I highly doubt enough to do any damage.

For any piece of equipment, it’s wise to stay within the rated spec- such as flow rate. The flow through a uv is also providing the correct cooling of the bulb, too slow could lead to heat damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilp2006 is offline   Reply With Quote