Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/02/2018, 09:59 PM   #1
MTV
Registered Member

Returning to the Sea

Hi there!

Marine aquaria and the saltwater world used to be one of my greatest passions, but university, lack of money, a major tank malfunction and life in general got in the way. ReefCentral tells me the last time I logged on was 09/06/2008! Ten years ago! But now, with my circumstances changed and more reliable income, I'd love to get back into it all.

So here's my question:
In the last ten years, what, if any, would you say the most significant advance or change in thinking occurred within this field?

I realise that this could be a massive question, so even just a pointer in the right direction to start me off would be a great help. Is there some piece of equipment that nobody can live without these days? Perhaps a better understanding of some macro or micro element or water chemistry?

MTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2018, 11:29 PM   #2
Anemone
Cloning Around

Lighting. LEDs have taken over - lower wattage and less heat. Other than that, the arguments are all the same.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2018, 06:22 AM   #3
tjm9331
Registered Member

Skimmers have made some great advances as well

tjm9331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2018, 07:06 AM   #4
Bpb
Registered Member

You can still keep a tank just as happy as anyone running it exactly like you did 10 years ago. Not all advances have made the hobby cheaper or easier. I’d say automation and web integrated controllers, LEDs, and ICP testing (mail in testing for a full elemental profile of your water) are the 3 biggest changes.

If you were to look at my tank though you’d think it is from 10 years ago. Not everyone has stayed on the bleeding edge.

Halides and t5ho are still very good options for lighting. Calcium reactors and water changes are still wonderfully effective options for parameter maintenance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2018, 08:01 AM   #5
sacremon
Registered Member

Hawaii all but banned collection of fish from their waters, which is making what Hawaiian endemics are available very pricey.

Fleece rollers are a recent phenomenon as an 'automated filtersock' solution that is still in its infancy but looks very promising.

More species can be bred in captivity, but still not a broad representation of the families of fish that are often kept.

Unread 10/14/2018, 08:38 PM   #6
MTV
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for your replies! You've all provided me with some very interesting insight and I can't wait to get back into it all.

MTV is offline   Reply With Quote