Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/19/2017, 06:25 AM   #1
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

Mag getting smaller

I have had this anemone for almost 4 years.I try feeding at least twice and sometimes three times a week.The problem is the clown fish, they keep taking the food from the anemone and spit it out into the water column.This anemone was pretty big when I got it and now about half the original size.I am debating on removing the anemone.

SNAKEMANVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2017, 06:32 AM   #2
humphreyhh
Registered Member

I wonder would not getting enough food make the anemone smaller? I heard they don't need to be fed and can still be growing? I could be wrong about mag though.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2017, 07:13 AM   #3
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

These clowns seem rough with it, when they get ready to spawn they will bite at the base to make the anemone move to lay their eggs.They have forced the mag from the top to side of the live rock.

Unread 08/19/2017, 09:39 AM   #4
davocean
Registered Member

If your light is sufficient really that should be all they need, many of us do not spot feed at all, but if it was too small to begin w/ and your clowns are over loving it that could be an issue.

When it comes to anemone health, size is not the be all end all, I have found they may increase disc size to maximize light intake if needed, and I've seen them actually get smaller under strong light, but look tighter w/ nicer color, so don't judge just by size unless it's just too small for the clowns, and if so maybe screen it off for a while if you can, strawberry basket or similar.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2017, 12:00 PM   #5
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks davocean,It has been under 250 watt mh at 20k, it was around 12 to 14" across and now about 6".The light is about 10" from water surface and anemone is about 6" below the waters surface.I think the anemone is now to small for the clowns.

Unread 08/19/2017, 03:37 PM   #6
davocean
Registered Member

So it's getting pretty good light, it could have been under weaker light when purchased and stretched to increase surface area, possibly, hard to say not knowing all details.

6" should be able to hang unless your clowns are pretty big.

I would probably squirt mysis 2-3 times per week towards it, and maybe once or twice a month maybe give a small piece of scallop, my fish don't seem to chase the scallops that much, and I place right near mouth w/ grabbers, and at times have even held grabbers there if I did have a piggy clown, or cleaner shrimp or something.

You could eggcrate that nem away for a bit if clowns are being too rough, let it grow some, just expect your clowns to get a little grumpy and make sure top has a cover of some kind.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2017, 05:58 PM   #7
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks for the help, they are in a 180 with a completely closed canopy with over flows covered as well.I will make a small egg crate box to put over the anemone for awhile.There is 6 rbtas in the tank that they can go to.