Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/15/2005, 02:36 PM   #51
Anthony Calfo
Registered Member

did I mention the blow dart method?

Or the CO2 barf-stick?

Hmmm...

Current Tank Info: 2K gallon fishroom, garden ponds
Anthony Calfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2005, 09:03 AM   #52
bacaksiz
Premium Member

Not really. (: is anything even remotely similar to this trap being sold in the market?

Current Tank Info: 600 G reef
bacaksiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2005, 02:02 PM   #53
ACBlinky
Premium Member

I just wanted to post and say THANK YOU for this thread. I had to catch a very fast Potter's angel today to put him in a hospital tank. He's already injured, so I didn't want to stress him by chasing or trapping him and I didn't have days (weeks even) to train him to eat from a net. Draining the tank and cornering him worked like a charm, thank you so very much - I doubt I would have thought of something so brilliant and yet simple on my own

Current Tank Info: 150g mixed reef, 30g sump/refugium, LED lighting, 100lbs LR, coral beauty, flame angel, blue & yellow tangs, gobies, damsels, 6-line wrasse, lawnmower blenny, dottyback, clown pair, rabbitfish, shrimp, crabs, CUC.
ACBlinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2005, 10:25 AM   #54
3S1K
Registered Member

Re: How to Catch Fish and Critters in Displays

What do you recommend for catching a 4" yellow tang?I want to add a smaller Blue Hippo so I want to remove him for a bit so the Hippo will get used to the new home.

3S1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2005, 02:21 AM   #55
DJG
Registered Member

Suggestions on how to snag a large and very aggressive maroon clownfish are most welcome.

David

DJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2005, 06:21 AM   #56
simonmr
Registered Member

I caught my maroon clown the other night while he was asleep. put the net next to the anemone and gave him a little push with a shick went into the net before he could wake up.

simonmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2005, 12:12 AM   #57
pitt_prodigy
Registered Member

Anyone got a good trick to catch a dragon goby? Cant bait him cause he's a sandsifter. Tried to corner him and he just runs into the rockwork and refuses to come out? Too much rock to net him + he's too quick.....any ideas??

Current Tank Info: 72 gallon RR Oceanic, heavily modded ASM G2 skimmer, 30g sump/refugium, AI vega lighting x 2, apex controller, Phos Reactor, etc.
pitt_prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2005, 12:25 AM   #58
Anthony Calfo
Registered Member

ACBlinky... you are very welcome my friend. And thanks for the update on your attempt and success. Very helpful for the consensus my friend

pitt_prodigy, DJG, and 3S1K... in answer to your questions, please do read (or re-reread) the beginning of this thread. A hearty amount of info and suggestions for you to consider and try.

Unread 12/20/2005, 12:47 AM   #59
DJG
Registered Member

Anthony-

With all due respect, and after carefully reading the post, I was inquiring about a method that might be "species-specific". SimonMR suggested such a method that actually worked well!

David

DJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2005, 04:09 PM   #60
dave11
Premium Member

Thanks for advice - used the drain down method to catch the fish - made life for them and me much easier - the last time I had to catch them they were all pretty logy from box toxin and easy to net - now all healthy again and putting them back in main display tank its much more of a challenge - thanks again

dave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2005, 06:02 AM   #61
petermai
Registered Member

it's a bit cruel in my opinion but i was having problem trying to rid my tank of a yellow tail damsel, i found the method that works best for me...would be to turn the lights on early morning preferably before the sun is up or whenever you feel that the fish in question is already sleeping...and scoop him up with a cup. i'm not sure about other fishes, but the damsel seems to wander out "blindly" when the lights are turned on in the morning.

petermai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2005, 10:05 AM   #62
WishIWereAFish
Registered Member

Thank you for this great post. I looked it over and decided "hey I'll bet I can build a trap like that" Bought some plexi-galss from ace ($10. and a small can of pvc glue $3.29) The first night I put it in the tank the Dominoe was so curious and hungry he swam right in. Unfortunatly my fishing line holding the door got snagged and I was unable to trap him. But it's very promising and I think it will work once I get him back in there. Thanks again for your info

Current Tank Info: 110 reef, 44 fw
WishIWereAFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2005, 10:34 AM   #63
YogiBear
Registered Member

One of the things I do for all my fish is to train them to feed out of a plastic specimen container. All I do is defrost their food in tank water in the box and then submerge it into the tank. It usually takes a week or so before a new fish will swim right in but after that, I can grab any fish I want right out of the reef with this method. Once they are 'trained', all I have to do is put the cup in once a week or so to keep them going in it. They will usually go into the cup empty once I have been doing it for a while. Probably the lowest stress way to catch up your fishes IMO.

YogiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2005, 10:53 AM   #64
markrovner
Registered Member

That's kind of brilliant...

markrovner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2005, 04:15 PM   #65
WishIWereAFish
Registered Member

Dominoe Damsel problem solved. I put my newly made trap box in the tank last night and caught the little bugger this afternoon.
Low stress and kind of fun...Great idea!

Current Tank Info: 110 reef, 44 fw
WishIWereAFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2005, 11:52 PM   #66
DanConnor
Registered Member

Here's one more technique, not exactly like any I've seen posted yet. I haven't tried it myself, but Joe Yaullio (sp?) at Atlantis Aquarium uses it to remove fish from his giant tank and swears it really works.

In the middle of the darkest night when all the fishies are sound asleep, turn all the halides on full blast. After a few minutes all the fish will come out of the rocks, but will be blinded or at least unresponsive to visual stimuli for about 5 minutes, and can be easily netted out.

DanConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2006, 03:59 PM   #67
marrowmuse
Registered Member

This is sort of an odd one that might not be useful to many people but I thought I'd mention it to keep people thinking. It' all about outsmarting your quarry!

For an aggressive, territorial fish, an alternative bait to use in a trap is a small mirror. I just happened to have a 1" diameter mirror laying around one day when I was trying to catch some damsels. I held the mirror up to the tank to see if it had any affect on the fish, and there was an immediate aggressive reaction from the dominant damsel. I propped the mirror up in the back of a mason jar laying on it's side and was able to catch him with just my hand as the trap door. The mirror didn't work quite as well for the rest of the damsels but it did work. A really aggressive fish can't keep it's fight-or-flight priorities straight when it's staring down an identical fish that's matching him, move for move!

Current Tank Info: surging 75 reef & fuge
marrowmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2006, 04:03 PM   #68
Anthony Calfo
Registered Member

wow... very novel idea/lure, Ved!

Thanks for sharing this mirror trick. Quite savvy.

Anth-

Unread 01/14/2006, 07:41 AM   #69
reefkeeps
Registered Member

What is the best way to get a reef lobster out of a fully stocked tank? So far I have just made frags at every attempt to capture him.

Current Tank Info: 150 REEF
reefkeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2006, 09:00 AM   #70
Jadran
Registered Member

trap it in bottle .. use some squid for bate... most probably you'll have it first night trapped..

Current Tank Info: 120g anemone tank
Jadran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2006, 12:27 PM   #71
opihi
Premium Member

Anth--
Used the drain method to remove a PBT from our 100g display. worked like a charm-- thanks for sharing your wealth of info.

Cheers!

Jeff

opihi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2006, 08:17 AM   #72
howman
Registered Member

any thoughts for an engineer goby in a 180g reef?

howman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2006, 08:18 AM   #73
howman
Registered Member

or an algae blenny?

howman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2006, 12:06 AM   #74
rawbomb
Moved On

My caught my Algea blenny with the old bait in the jar trick along with a psuedo, and coral beauty. Though i also ended up terrorizing my cleaner shrimps as once they get in the have no way of getting out.

rawbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2006, 08:00 PM   #75
terryhendrixson
Registered Member

Ill have to try these i have a zoo eating blue hippo tang.

terryhendrixson is offline   Reply With Quote