Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/12/2019, 01:51 PM   #926
NAZ84
Registered Member

Hi Przemek

Let’s leave the PH swings aside , maybe I’m wrong or as you said I’m after a problem that does not exist

- I have placed the order on the calcium reactor back in February 2018
- the first one arrived broken so you guys instantly with amazing customer service sent me a complete new one , ( which again got lost with the shipping company and never received it )
- so again with your excellent customer service instantly shipped me another one as well , which arrived safe and sound
- upon installing it and running (( with same exact connection setup + media that I have now )) it worked perfectly for almost 2 months of WITH CONSISTENT PH RANGE of 6.4 to 6.5 (( WITH DEGASSING OPTION OFF ALL THE TIME AND NEVER KEPT IT ON ))
- ON FLOW OF 1.2 L/H my Alk kept on RISING slowly NOT dropping which made sense due to having the AC3 for my 350 gallon setup ( slightly oversized )
- My tank PH that time varied around 8.05 To 8.15
- after a while of smooth operation , my CalcFeeder Pro freezed all of a sudden and stopped working completely
- things started going wrong and one issue after the other happened
- if you remember and go back to my emails another controller was sent after a number of attempts to send spare parts until I receive I final one ( 3rd ) that worked fine but afterwards I cracked my reactor due to over pressure , that I increased because of the same issue I’m facing currently and as per a technical colleague from your side ( NOT MR TOMASZ AS HE WAS ON VACATION And ALWAYS HAD THE BEST SUPPORT AND INSTRUCTIONS FROM HIS SIDE , But a different colleague that was not so friendly and supportive )
- he told me it was my mistake to increase pressure and asked me to pay for a new reactor body which I did

Now leaving All that aside , one final inquiry that might give you a clear idea why I’m confused , compared to my previous smoooooooth and amazing results from your reactor now I have the following

- my reactor ph keeps increasing unless I have degassing ON ( forget about this issue for now as well )
- The most un logical thing is I HAVE MY PUMP FLOW AT 4.020 L/H and my ALK keeps dropping not even stable !

- I have been thinking for a while now , is it possible that you have changed your pump rubber tubings with you sent with the last calcfeeder pump into thinner ones that dose not hold water in properly once the roller stops ? I have a feeling it’s thinner then the previous one I had in my previous proper unit , and water could be going back due to pressure once the roller stops spinning

Hope you understand my confusion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NAZ84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2019, 04:29 PM   #927
Przemek_PacSun
Registered Member

Hello Naif,
I completely understand your confusion an dI think that you don't understood me properly I didn't said that you don't have problem(with low alk etc) - but I said that from my experience - your pH fluctuation between 6.1-6.2 is not a problem(you can see similar even in classic type calcium reactors where typical histereza is set for 0.05pH for ph monitors/computers).
Before I will give you detailed reply to all above please let me focus on some unanswered questions by you.
You said that your pump is working on 4.020l/h effluent.
I have asked it before(please roll back this thread) - what is your alkalinity in effluent?
It's KEY information - because that allow us to tell you what is wrong(media type, effluent etc).
If your effluent alkalinity is too low it can mean:
- you are using not proper media(it's dissolving in lower pH than is in CalcFeeder)
- you have set too high flow on your controller - it simply "pumping water" too fast (which have decreased pH but not enough to dissolve media).

Please take a look for above(what you said).
If reactor was working perfectly on pH 6.4-6.5 and degassing off - I can't understand how it's possible thats not working on pH 6.1-6.2(much faster dissolved media - you said that you are using the same)?
If it's slowly rising your alk on flow 1.2l/h - why you have set it for 4.020 liters?

Comparing to your "previous" reactor - they are completely the same(same design, same parts, same tubings etc).
I know that Tomasz asked you for doing some videos from your reactor and he discovered that due refill(or degassing ) he discovered bubbles coming into reactor from connector(he will explain it better after weekend posting some details about that here) .
If it was true, it mean that your tubings (connected to reactor or between reactor and pump ) have leakage.
There is no any other way - I can't explain it better and find any other source of your issue.
This reactor is not so complicated to trying find much more reasons, if you think that reactor sucking air - it can be done only by feeding pump(tubing between sump/pump or pump/ reactor). There is no simply any other way.
About shipping damages - as you know, we packed everything best as it was possible - that damages made in transport were made by Fedex and we never left Customer in similar situation.
"Issue" with exploding reactor was made by increased too much pressure of CO2 and completely closed reactor output after/before degassing chamber. As you know that was diagnosed by Tomasz and properly explained. Of course dosing pump can be used to check any leakages (closing valve on output - it will slowly increase pressure but to safe levels - it can't generate so high pressure like Co2 from bottle opened on too high flow). That kind of pressure can bu used to pump your car tires ;-)
But it's on margin only.

We not changed anything in reactor design or tubings type - we are using Pharmed BPT tubings (made by Saint Gobain - they produce medical grade tubings) since the beginning.
But even if that tubing(on roller) would be thinner - how it would affect your reactor work?
It can't by self simply suck water when pump is not working(your usually is working for most time if it set for 4 liters/h). Even if it would - how it will make your reactor sucking air if you confirmed that input tubings are under the water?
Maybe water input is to close to skimmer output or any other place where are tiny air bubbles and they are sucked by pump??

I will tell it again - if you are worried about that ph fluctuations (between 6.1 to 6.2) - it's not a problem, really.
I rather can't understand how its possible that on effluent 1.2L/h your alk in tank is growing but having 4.2l/h(and same pH as I understand) - it's dropping. It's not logical.
Again - MOST IMPORTANT question is - what is your alk level in effluent?
Without that information we can't do any move forward.
If it's low - (40-50) it mean that you are not using proper media in your reactor.
Im sure that explaining of that "issue" will be very easy but until we don't have all answers - it's hard to help remotely (maybe your connection tubings are broken ? Or they have different diameter than connectors and they let through the air ?)

Regards

Przemek

Last edited by Przemek_PacSun; 01/12/2019 at 05:06 PM.
Przemek_PacSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2019, 03:44 AM   #928
NAZ84
Registered Member

Hi Przemek

Please let me point out and mention clearly that I’m %100 satisfied with your supportive customer service and the high quality of your finished products and my issue is clearly receiving a defective unit mostly from shipping OR MY SETUP IS NOT CORRECT otherwise i have no dought about your products credibility and output

- With that being said , i clearly explain again that due to rough shipping , although your packaging in the post shipments where extra covered and the most possible to do in regards of such item to such item , however i have observed by myself the extremely rough handling of FedEx courier with international large packages and thats for sure is the issue , and i still believe there might some minor crack or something with in my last reactor other then the obvious one that i have showed your other colleague (( NOT MR TOMASZ )) who didn’t comment on it as per the picture attached , however i added silicon to it and seems no leakage form that specific crack

- Going back to effluent Alk level the best thing i did is test with my only available hanna checker which KEPT FLASHING 20 DKH THAT MEANS ITS WAY HIGHER and that I believe indicates its fine but seems not much accurate effluent is being pumped out maybe

- when i mentioned about the proper operation that was completely with the previous package (( Complete different reactor unit + circulation pump + Calcfeeder controller )) , the one i have now is completely replaced

- AGAIN , please understand me (( I’M NOT ARGUING WHY THE PH FLUCTUATES AND NOT STABLE OR CONSISTENT , I’M %100 SATISFIED WITH IT EVEN IF IT REACHES 7 < HOWEVER MY ISSUE IS IT DOES NOT COME DOWN AT ALL EVEN THOUGHT THE SOLENOID OPENS UP FREQUENTLY UNLESS DEGASSING MODES STARTS , HOPE MY CONFUSION IS CLEAR ?? ))

- I Have wrapped a batch of foam recently around the tip of the suction tube that sucks water form the sump just in case there might be tiny air bubbles that i cant see with in that area as per video attached

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0cCv...yadh_-_Al_Waha

- In regards of the rubber tube i mentioned , I’m thinking maybe if the tube thickness is not wide and thick enough MAYBE ONCE THE ROLLER WHEEL STOPS AIR OR WATER STARTS FLOWING BACK AND THATS WHY ITS NOT HOLDING PROPER PRESSURE WITH IN REACTOR (( MAYBE ))

- AGAIN MOST IMPORTANTLY MY ISSUE IS NOT PH FLUCTUATING INSIDE REACTOR BUT THE ISSUE IS IT NEVER GOES DOWN UNLESS DEGASSING OPTION IS ON AND THAT DID NOT HAPPEN AT ALL WITH ME PREVIOUS SETUP , PLUS I JUST PURCHASED THE NEW APEX WITH NEW PROBE AS WELL AND SHIFTED MY PREVIOUS ONE TO MY QT AND STILL GETTING SAME READINGS

- Thats why i even suggested to ship this complete setup on my expense and get it replaced with a complete new one ( BOTH CONTROLLER AND REACTOR WITH CIRCULATION PUMP )

- The previous circulation pump had different union connection size and threads which also might be better then the current one as per the picture attached

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0GZP...yadh_-_Al_Waha

Thanks for your responses Mr Przemek

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 01/13/2019, 06:50 AM   #929
Przemek_PacSun
Registered Member

Naif, you need to get any drop tests and check alkalinity in your effluent - in other way we will not move anything forward
salifert, Aquaforest - whatever which allow you to measure alkalinity in effluent from reactor.
Using Hanna checked you can try dilute water for test with RO water(50/50% with aquarium water) or 25/75%(water/RO) if it will be still so high. From your reactor you should have ALK about 70-90 depending from media type.
Easiest and best will be using any aquarium drop test.

About thinner tubing - it can't suck any tiny air bubbles until your input is under the water(during operation). Again - where input tubings are placed? Maybe close to skimmer or overflow in sump(between chambers?) It's only one possible way how it can pump any air into reactor...
Union fittings used in reactor are 1/2 or 3/4" and they don't have anything how reactor is working.
Please try to check effluent alkalinity - immediately after reactor setup and few days later when reactor work and pH slowly start going up.

Regards

Przemek

Last edited by Przemek_PacSun; 01/13/2019 at 06:57 AM.
Przemek_PacSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2019, 02:19 PM   #930
NAZ84
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnseye View Post
The Aquabee pump circulates water from the CO2 chamber through the pump outlet at the bottom of that chamber to the bottom of the Reactor chamber where it flows up through the media then out a small tube at the top, falling into and down through the top of the CO2 chmaber again in a cycle.

The peristaltic pump draws water from the sump into the top of the CO2 chamber. Water then can exit the top of the Reactor chamber and into the sump, or go from the top of the Reactor chamber to the bottom of the degassing chamber, up and out the top of that chamber and back into the sump. Alternatively you could pull water from the Reactor or degassing chambers and into the sump.

Is it possible to do the connection this way ? ( pulling water from the reactor into the sump instead of pushing water into the reactor from sump ) anyone tried it ?

Unread 01/14/2019, 02:27 PM   #931
NAZ84
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemek_PacSun View Post
Naif, you need to get any drop tests and check alkalinity in your effluent - in other way we will not move anything forward
salifert, Aquaforest - whatever which allow you to measure alkalinity in effluent from reactor.
Using Hanna checked you can try dilute water for test with RO water(50/50% with aquarium water) or 25/75%(water/RO) if it will be still so high. From your reactor you should have ALK about 70-90 depending from media type.
Easiest and best will be using any aquarium drop test.

About thinner tubing - it can't suck any tiny air bubbles until your input is under the water(during operation). Again - where input tubings are placed? Maybe close to skimmer or overflow in sump(between chambers?) It's only one possible way how it can pump any air into reactor...
Union fittings used in reactor are 1/2 or 3/4" and they don't have anything how reactor is working.
Please try to check effluent alkalinity - immediately after reactor setup and few days later when reactor work and pH slowly start going up.

Regards

Przemek

I will do the ALK test from output and get back to you once I receive a drip test kit , meanwhile I tested my tank Alk 2 days ago ( after 4 times in a row of degassing cycles and waiting for 2 hours for output to test ) it was 8.3 at flow of 4.020 L/h

Since that time I switched degassing option OFF to check if PH will decrease after a number of cycles ( where I can hear the solenoid opening every couple of minutes and injecting CO2 and I observe the green circle on the pump screen turning red then back green )

No it reached 6.35 and did a test for tank Alk it still has the same reading , however ph inside reactor is still going up and not going back down at all ( hoping it will settle between a fixed range ) so I will be doing another tank test tomorrow and check the ALK

Unread 01/15/2019, 07:19 AM   #932
Ted_C
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZ84 View Post
Is it possible to do the connection this way ? ( pulling water from the reactor into the sump instead of pushing water into the reactor from sump ) anyone tried it ?

Actually - if you have no more air leaks and this is still happening - it sounds to me like you might be running backwards. It is not supposed to be run this way.

Unread 01/15/2019, 07:30 AM   #933
NAZ84
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_C View Post
Actually - if you have no more air leaks and this is still happening - it sounds to me like you might be running backwards. It is not supposed to be run this way.

I’m pretty sure the dosing pump is running just fine , put so frustrated can’t tell where it’s sucking air into the reactor from

I’m % 100 sure there is air being sucked in

- optical sensor is working just fine in keeping water level I. Mixing chamber correct

- I can see the RED light and then GREEN indicating CO2 is being injected and instantly upon turning on I can hear the solenoid opening

So my final conclusion for sure air is going in and getting mixed with CO2

I use to remember in my previous unit , pressing REFILL option and letting it run for a while = filling both chambers completely with water and also pushing out any trapped air

However this time pressing refill pushes water to a certain level then sustains and not go all the way up to mixing chamber lid

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0sys...yadh_-_Al_Waha

This is the only logical explanation for this mess and frustration

I got a feedback from the technical support today as below :

Please make degassing one more time and set dosing at 100-500ml/h, leave it at this value at least for 24h (best 48h) and then check KH and pH on effluent output - send us this values, this is very important (you will need drop test to measure KH on effluent output).
Calcium reactors allways need some time to be properly saturated and start to work at stable parameters.
When you increase pump flow, more water will be added with higher pH from tank so pH will slowly rise in reactor - this is normal.
When pH will rise media would be dissolved slower and KH on effluent output will drop. Then you will see KH drop in tank and you will increase flow higher which will cause further pH rise and it's closed loop which cause problem.
When effluent is more concentrated (Calcfeeder is saturated and stabilized) dosing flow could be set at lower value.
You should allow Calcfeeder to be properly saturated and media started to be dissolved. When KH on effluent output will be high enough, start slowly increase flow rate - for 100ml per 24h to allow reactor to stabilize parameters between changes untill you will find that KH is slowly rise in tank but this would have to take some time. During this time you could manualy dose KH buffer to keep stable KH in tank. When you will increase slowly effluent output flow reduce dosed KH buffer untill you will get stable KH in tank.

For me the above is completely not user friendly type of unit but it indicates that this reactor is very sensitive and fragile and doesn’t state a smooth operation

Although I still stand my ground and very convinced I have a default unit or something is wrong with my connection

Will never forget how amazed I was with my previous unit that was outstanding , I swear I thought that this brand and type of reactor will put compete any classic reactor in the market in a very short time and no one would ever go back to ph probe controlled type + the finishing and building material plus controller are waaaaay much neat and tidier then the Dastaco units

But anyways it’s been more then 6 months and still struggling , lost many frags due to KH severe fluctuations , but will keep on trying

Unread 01/15/2019, 11:53 AM   #934
Przemek_PacSun
Registered Member

Hello Naif,
Reading above, if you feel that something wrong is on "water supply" side we should focus only on this area, nothing more. Reactor design is quite simply, in fact most "difficult" part is mixing chamber and proper co2 gas reading but as you said - it's working properly.
For me(if we focus only on suggested water supply side ) there are only few possibilities:
a) water coming into first tube(between sump - and pump). Are you sure that tuning is not taking a water with small amount of micro-bubbles (like from skimmer output or overflow)? If yes - that air will be transported to mixing chamber and sensor will read proper gas level - however it will be xo2 mixed with air.
b) connection tube(between sump and controller) . Maybe it's broken?(above water level)or connector not fit properly to tubing?(little different diameter). Have you tried replacing it?
c) broken "plastic connectors" on controller peristaltic tubing - if they are broken(it can be done for example if you try to disconnect external tubing from connectors and you will bend it to much - they can brok and back to regular position - but they will "suck" some air when rollers are working. It can be done only on "sump" side - if you will broke connector between output from controller and mixing chamber - it should leak.
d) tube between controller and mixing chamber - have you tried replace it?
e) peristaltic tubing - Again - it can be a source, maybe it have small "hole"? and it suck air when rollers move water inside?

If during refill process are you seeing small bubbles coming out from controller - it have to be wrong something with one from above parts.
Please do following experiment (please forgive me that "schematic" diagram but hope thats clear :-)

Put under the water plastic(transparent) cup/dish.
Be sure thats completely free from air and install it upside-down under the water.
Put inside this cup end of tubing coming out from controller and run pump in refill mode.
If after some time you will notice that under the top there is an air - it mean that your pump is sucking air and in normal operation it's pumped into reactor(and you have result similar to described by you). It will also confirm that the best idea will be replacing all parts from above (if you will need anything from list above please let us know, we will supply you with that).
You can believe or not but we are even more frustrated than you in that situation cause this reactor is not rocket science and there is no too many areas where anything can fail
Your heart - mean controller and optical sensor seems working fine so solution for this "issue" should be easy to find but now we simply doesn't see that
Simplest solutions are usually most effective and right .

Link to picture:
https://ibb.co/X7LT63v

Unread 01/15/2019, 02:26 PM   #935
NAZ84
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemek_PacSun View Post
Hello Naif,
Reading above, if you feel that something wrong is on "water supply" side we should focus only on this area, nothing more. Reactor design is quite simply, in fact most "difficult" part is mixing chamber and proper co2 gas reading but as you said - it's working properly.
For me(if we focus only on suggested water supply side ) there are only few possibilities:
a) water coming into first tube(between sump - and pump). Are you sure that tuning is not taking a water with small amount of micro-bubbles (like from skimmer output or overflow)? If yes - that air will be transported to mixing chamber and sensor will read proper gas level - however it will be xo2 mixed with air.
b) connection tube(between sump and controller) . Maybe it's broken?(above water level)or connector not fit properly to tubing?(little different diameter). Have you tried replacing it?
c) broken "plastic connectors" on controller peristaltic tubing - if they are broken(it can be done for example if you try to disconnect external tubing from connectors and you will bend it to much - they can brok and back to regular position - but they will "suck" some air when rollers are working. It can be done only on "sump" side - if you will broke connector between output from controller and mixing chamber - it should leak.
e) peristaltic tubing - Again - it can be a source, maybe it have small "hole"? and it suck air when rollers move water inside?

If during refill process are you seeing small bubbles coming out from controller - it have to be wrong something with one from above parts.
Please do following experiment (please forgive me that "schematic" diagram but hope thats clear :-)

Put under the water plastic(transparent) cup/dish.
Be sure thats completely free from air and install it upside-down under the water.
Put inside this cup end of tubing coming out from controller and run pump in refill mode.
If after some time you will notice that under the top there is an air - it mean that your pump is sucking air and in normal operation it's pumped into reactor(and you have result similar to described by you). It will also confirm that the best idea will be replacing all parts from above (if you will need anything from list above please let us know, we will supply you with that).
You can believe or not but we are even more frustrated than you in that situation cause this reactor is not rocket science and there is no too many areas where anything can fail
Your heart - mean controller and optical sensor seems working fine so solution for this "issue" should be easy to find but now we simply doesn't see that
Simplest solutions are usually most effective and right .

Link to picture:
https://ibb.co/X7LT63v

Hi Przemek

Thanks for the feedback , I believe i might have found the cause but will reply to your inquiries first

- I have fixed the tube head inside a big batch of cotton to avoid any type of micro bubbles being sucked in as per the video attached below

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0VE7...yadh_-_Al_Waha

- Yes almost three with brand new HDPE tubes then recently with silicon tube as per Tomasz suggestion to give it a try

- With in the last shipment you sent me 4 extra brand tubes and i have replaced them twice making sure I don’t plug the external tube unless i insert the rubber tube properly inside pump housing then push the external plastic or silicon tubes and no leakage appears any where

- Also yes a couple of times until recently i replaced it with the silicon tube and connected with a plastic HDPE tube from the lid side as per picture below

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0C9T...VKl5weE-T0AOkA

- Again just in case i took out the recent one checked it and no major cut or hole is obvious and the scratch in the video below is not deep at all , i even bend it to see if its deeper an its not

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Lpz...yadh_-_Al_Waha

f) If during refill process are you seeing small bubbles coming out from controller - it have to be wrong something with one from above parts.

- this video might indicate the answer that no air seems to be pushed into reactor during refill mode ( i have cleared all air complete threw degassing then started refill mode to see clearly )

https://share.icloud.com/photos/07mB...yadh_-_Al_Waha

Now after all the above could the following be the reason behind all of this ? If you notice in the video below i start the degassing process after a second cycle making sure there is no air what so ever and closing all valves that passes water into rector or out and after a slight while air bubbles starts appearing

https://share.icloud.com/photos/02vW...yadh_-_Al_Waha

Eventually it seems the mixing chmaber is leaking air inside and so i decided to open both lids make sure they are sealed and replaced even the rubber rings for both chambers with spare ones i hade and closed it back , but while doing this in the video below also you can see the previous crack that i had on top of the mixing chmaber directly under the lid where i notified your colleague. Instantly upon receiving my replacement reactor , took pictures and sent it to him by email (( but again i mentioned before he was slightly rude and unsupportive ( Mr Tomasz was on vacation at that time ) but he didn’t reply to me at all regarding that matter

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0vK0...yadh_-_Al_Waha

I hope the below videos would be clear enough and might give a clear picture of the issue I’m facing

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 01/15/2019, 11:35 PM   #936
mrtint
Registered Member

Now after all the above could the following be the reason behind all of this ? If you notice in the video below i start the degassing process after a second cycle making sure there is no air what so ever and closing all valves that passes water into rector or out and after a slight while air bubbles starts appearing

https://share.icloud.com/photos/02vW...yadh_-_Al_Waha

My 2 cents is the problem is in the one video you posted above (2nd to last video) where is all that air in the line coming from?
I would suggest removing the reactor from the equation and simply put the feed line back into your sump and run the fill cycle again. If you get those air bubble again then figure out why and fix that before you do anything else

I’ll stay out of it now but that kind of air in the line doesn’t look right at all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

mrtint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2019, 08:36 AM   #937
PacSun Service
Registered Member

@NAZ84 - Please check below answer on your post - the same you should get already from our service on mail.

It's good that no air is been doser to reactor during refill mode.
Regarding air bubbles getting inside reactor during degassing - you had all valves closed during this test, this creates very high under pressure in reactor as you constantly try to suck water from it - that kind of situation is not available during normal operation. Also it's not recommended to leave reactor with working pump at degassing mode and valves closed because high under pressure could damage reactor the same like over pressure (it could cause implosion).
With high underpressure inside reactor air would try to get inside any possible way, as silicone o-ring is quite soft air can get throgh it. But this high under pressure will never happen during normal operation of calcfeeder.
The same like you will start pump in refill mode and close output - reactor can handle some over pressure but if you will further dose water through pump water will start to leak through o-rings and finaly reactor would explode (as you know).

I have seen also this broken element inside of mixing chamber - this shouldn't have any influence as o-ring seal on top and bottom surfaces not sides. Better to fix this broken element would be super glue instead of silicone as it would hold this piece hard in place. Please clean all silicone from broken point and use super glue to fix it.

Please start reactor with procedure which I have sent you yesterday and give us results of KH and pH of effluent after 24h of work at 100ml/h dosing flow. Also I have seen on your video that your media chamber is filled in half - please add more media about 2cm below level of tube between both chambers - it would make KH level in effluent output higher.

Best regards
Pacific Sun Service

PacSun Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2019, 08:26 AM   #938
kodo28
Registered Member

Hello Przemek,

I would like to know if there is any possible accessory to be set on the gazing chamber of the AC2 unit.

The AC2 unit doesn't have the ball valve to regulate the water flow and the black valve inside the media chamber is really something that is useless.

I've being using Dastaco media Procalc Pure on the AC2. I tried to set the black valve in so many position, 100% fully open to 90% closed with degassing once a day or not at all and no matter which setting, I have all the time a lot of micro bubble going thru the gazing to the top of the media chamber which at the end start to accumulate causing inconsistent flow on the effluent and some part remains there and it cannot be expelled.

Could be it possible to set like a plate with some kind of foam on the bottom of the gazing chamber just on the top of the white elbow to help to keep micro bubbles away to pass into the media chamber ?

Something like below

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-01-29_152222.jpg (10.3 KB, 27 views)
kodo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2019, 05:28 AM   #939
PacSun Service
Registered Member

@kodo28 - Please contact directly with our service at service@pacific-sun.eu
They will help you. If you have some video and photos how your Calcfeeder work now and how you connected every thing it would be very helpful - you could send it at this mail address also.

Best regards
Pacific Sun

PacSun Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2019, 01:21 PM   #940
Przemek_PacSun
Registered Member

Because many Customers watch this thread and sometimes not visor our website - below you can find CalcFeeder AC PRO calcium reactor manual.
If some points of manual should be explained much more detailed - please let us know.
Thank you.
http://www.pacific-sun.eu/pliki/Calc...nual_EN_v2.pdf

Unread 01/30/2019, 03:20 PM   #941
kodo28
Registered Member

They are still some incoherence on the manual about bubbles count

Important!
We recommend setting the cylinder pressure such that the CO2 feed at the regulator output is about 5 bubbles per second

12. Troubleshooting
Make sure the pressure in the CO2 cylinder is correct and the gas metering is not faster than 1-2 bubbles per second.

then

7) In the first days of reactor operation set the CalcFeeder PRO controller metering pump flow to 300-500ml/h

12. Troubleshooting
We suggest that you start from 500ml/h and increase slowly according to your specific needs.

> and It was told here to start flow around 200ml/h by yourself

5) After a few CO2 feed cycles, it’s level should be adequate which will be indicated by the optical sensor light on the LCD display (transitioning from YELLOW/RED to GREEN)

> Yellow color on display ? I do have only green/red on the Co2 indicator.

Then the manual talk about the AC3 or AC4 but not a word about the AC2 and the famous inner black valve.

A word about how to measure the Kh value of the effluent would be also great to have on the manual

Last but not least, a video would be welcome since the time it was announced

This would allow to show how to start the reactor and troubleshot most common errors people do at the starting

Last edited by kodo28; 01/30/2019 at 03:41 PM.
kodo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2019, 04:35 AM   #942
NAZ84
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacSun Service View Post
@NAZ84 - Please check below answer on your post - the same you should get already from our service on mail.

It's good that no air is been doser to reactor during refill mode.
Regarding air bubbles getting inside reactor during degassing - you had all valves closed during this test, this creates very high under pressure in reactor as you constantly try to suck water from it - that kind of situation is not available during normal operation. Also it's not recommended to leave reactor with working pump at degassing mode and valves closed because high under pressure could damage reactor the same like over pressure (it could cause implosion).
With high underpressure inside reactor air would try to get inside any possible way, as silicone o-ring is quite soft air can get throgh it. But this high under pressure will never happen during normal operation of calcfeeder.
The same like you will start pump in refill mode and close output - reactor can handle some over pressure but if you will further dose water through pump water will start to leak through o-rings and finaly reactor would explode (as you know).

I have seen also this broken element inside of mixing chamber - this shouldn't have any influence as o-ring seal on top and bottom surfaces not sides. Better to fix this broken element would be super glue instead of silicone as it would hold this piece hard in place. Please clean all silicone from broken point and use super glue to fix it.

Please start reactor with procedure which I have sent you yesterday and give us results of KH and pH of effluent after 24h of work at 100ml/h dosing flow. Also I have seen on your video that your media chamber is filled in half - please add more media about 2cm below level of tube between both chambers - it would make KH level in effluent output higher.

Best regards
Pacific Sun Service

Hi Przemek

An update since our last communication

- I have went with the instructions of your technical support team of restarting the hole commissions after degassing and starting off with a very small amount of 100ml/H and gradually increase 100 ml every 24 hours with no success of keeping my ALK stable all the way reaching up to 4.7 L/H where it makes no sense to complete further as I have reached almost 75% of reactor capacity (( THAT IS SUPPOSE TO BE OVERSIZED FOR MY TANK )) , and all the above is with degassing mode ON EVERY DAY my reactor PH goes BETWEEN 6.05 up to 6.31 under 24 hours

Then i did the following ;

- I have taken out the new regulator and installed the previous one ( TUNZE ) because the electronic regulator had a limit of maximum (( 4.6 BUBBLES PER SECOND )) and that was not enough to saturate the mixing chamber under 120 seconds (( even though I opened the main pressure all the way to maximum limit of 29 PSI AND IT TOOK ALMOST 45 minutes to fill under optical sensor

- The current setup with TUNZE regulator is under 5 PSI but needle valve is more open (( IT FILLS UNDER OPTICAL SENSOR WITH IN 40 To 50 seconds now )) as per video attached

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Fl-...yadh_-_Al_Waha

- Right after the degassing cycle and with a fluid ph of 6.05 I tested the fluid output ALK with 70/30 == 70% RO water with 0.002 TDS and 30% reactor output fluid and it gave me 16.4 dkh

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0rib...yadh_-_Al_Waha

- I took out the reactor output hose and installed it inside an empty water gallon to see how much it would fill with in 2 hours on a flow of 2 L/H and got a fluid output volume of almost 2.7 litres not 4 !

- when i replaced the regulator and took the mixing chamber filling & saturation rate down to under 50 seconds , once the solenoid opens to fill , a relatively rough sound comes On but not sure from where , mostly seems from the pump , ONLY AT FILLING CYCLE RIGHT AFTER DEGASSING , not sure if you can hear it clearly in the video above

- LAST ATTEMPT IM DOING NOW is I closed the pump circulation valve down to almost 50% thinking it might be very strong for such large media that it’s over circulating too fast and not allowing media to melt properly

- ONE MORE strange thing is my tank PH is staying very low down to numbers it never stayed with in ( 7.69 Up to 7.81 maximum ) where it use to stay around 7.87 up to 8.03 ))

- PLEASE ANSWER ME THE FOLLOWING :

1- when the reactor is working properly what should the PH range inside reactor stays at ?? (( Between ? To ? ))

2- AGAIN if degassing is OFF ph WILL KEEP RISING WITH OUT LIMIT EVEN THOUGH SOLENOID OPENS AND FILLS EVERY OFTEN ??

3- How come stable ALK levels should be expected out of the reactor if reactor ph keeps swinging that much unless you degass ?

4- what’s the proper degassing cycles should be chosen and depending on what ?

Will await your feedback as I’m really really frustrated and don’t know what to do further , man this equipment is taking me out of the hobby gradually , in my 15 years with in this hobby I never got so frustrated from buying an equipment (( 4 times !!! )) that was suppose to make my life easier and give excellent stability where it is completely the opposite since more then 8 months now !!!

Unread 02/02/2019, 04:39 AM   #943
NAZ84
Registered Member

Another very critical question , going threw this thread completely with every post from start , so many customers seems to have asked a number of times for an instructional video explaining and going threw the setup and commissioning of this reactor and nothing is provided in regards of this request since the launch of this product although you mentioned as well a couple of times that a video will be launched soon

Unread 02/02/2019, 04:44 AM   #944
NAZ84
Registered Member

Current attempt after lowering the circulation valve

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0W3q...yadh_-_Al_Waha

Unread 02/03/2019, 02:45 AM   #945
NAZ84
Registered Member

Today morning came down to check on everything , with low circulation and valve down to almost 40% it seems when the degassing cycles triggered and gas starting filling in current strong rate the main chamber lid was leaking under one of the screws , I twisted it more and will see further

Unread 02/03/2019, 02:29 PM   #946
Przemek_PacSun
Registered Member

Hello Naif,
Below you can find replies to your questions - please forward all above by mail to technical support cause it's fastest way for getting help.

Regarding video manual - we discusses a lot about that and after some initial work (where some things was really hard to show on vide and explain without often video pauses etc) we decided to prepare very detailed manual which is available for all CalcFeeder PRO reactors users.
http://pacific-sun.eu/manuals/Calcfe..._manual_EN.pdf
Please tell me which part of manual is not clear and need to be described much detailed than it's actually done. Manual cover all most important questions but maybe we missed something and it need to be done better than actually is.

About your questions:
1- when the reactor is working properly what should the PH range inside reactor stays at ?? (( Between ? To ? ))
pH in reactor(depending from model) have two be in range between 6.1 to 6.4. With big reactors and strong circulation pumps it can be even below 6.1 a(after degassing , with mixing chamber filled with CO2 only)

2- AGAIN if degassing is OFF ph WILL KEEP RISING WITH OUT LIMIT EVEN THOUGH SOLENOID OPENS AND FILLS EVERY OFTEN ??
If degassing will be switched off - space in mixing chamber can be slowly filled with neutral gasses released from media in dissolving process. Of course - optical sensor will react to gas/water level - but it will turn on ot so often like on mixing chamber filled with 100% clear CO2 - because neutral gasses will not dissolve in water. After many days with switched off degassing there can be situation that reactor will be filled with "gas" but amount of CO2 in total volumen of gas in mixing chamber will be low - so it will affect pH in reactor chamber and it will slowly raise every day.

3- How come stable ALK levels should be expected out of the reactor if reactor ph keeps swinging that much unless you degass ?
That depends mostly from used media. If you will use Carib Sea ARM(Extra coarser Coarse) - it can be even 80-90dkH in effluent(because ARM start dissolving at 6.6-6.7 ph) . If you will use natural coral gravel - effluent alkalinity will be much lower because corals sands/gravels require lower pH(sometimes about 6.0 depending how that gravel was prepared). If media chamber will be filled with Dastaco media - it will probably not dissolve - because Dastaco media require very low pH - about 5.8(?) and effluent will have alkalinity only little higher that aquarium kH. What it mean? lower alkalinity in effluent - you need to dose more liquid from reactor. You dose more liquid thru reactor - your aquarium pH start going down(you are dosing too much acidified water)

4- what’s the proper degassing cycles should be chosen and depending on what ?
We suggest set degassing twin per week minimum - the best is degassing once per day(which is also suggested in manual for Dastaco calcium reactors). Our both reactors use similar "ideas" - checking gas/water level in special chamber instead of pH measuring. If it would be not needed in their reactors also - they would not decide to write about it in their manual. It's important - if we are not removing from reactor "neutral" gasses - they can take the place of carbon dioxide and cause the reactor to work improperly.

Unread 02/07/2019, 11:57 PM   #947
REdPanther
Registered Member

Hello all,
Is there anyone using seachem reef reactor md as media for calcium reactor? I couldn't find the ph melting point for this media. I test my effluent using salifert and the result about 60.5 dkh. Is this normal? I'm using calcfeeder pro ac4 for my 200 gallons tank mixed sps and lps. Currently set controller at 0.5 L/h. Doing degassing twice a week. My aquabee valve at 100 percent open. And so far this calcium reactor works perfect. Still tuning the effluent rate for the next few days.

Thanks

REdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2019, 02:17 PM   #948
NAZ84
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REdPanther View Post
Hello all,

Is there anyone using seachem reef reactor md as media for calcium reactor? I couldn't find the ph melting point for this media. I test my effluent using salifert and the result about 60.5 dkh. Is this normal? I'm using calcfeeder pro ac4 for my 200 gallons tank mixed sps and lps. Currently set controller at 0.5 L/h. Doing degassing twice a week. My aquabee valve at 100 percent open. And so far this calcium reactor works perfect. Still tuning the effluent rate for the next few days.

Thanks

Hi redpanther

- Can you share your CO2 regulator pressure reading ?
- Do you use a ph probe installed on top of your reactor monitoring your main chamber ph level ? If yes what’s the average reading and what’s the level of fluctuation you have ?
- can you share your initial setup process from starting please
- what’s the distance you have between your CO2 cylinder and your reactor ?
- can you share a video of your bubble mixing structure with in the mixing chamber please

Will highly appreciate your feedback

Regards

Unread 02/08/2019, 07:11 PM   #949
REdPanther
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZ84 View Post
Hi redpanther

- Can you share your CO2 regulator pressure reading ?
- Do you use a ph probe installed on top of your reactor monitoring your main chamber ph level ? If yes what’s the average reading and what’s the level of fluctuation you have ?
- can you share your initial setup process from starting please
- what’s the distance you have between your CO2 cylinder and your reactor ?
- can you share a video of your bubble mixing structure with in the mixing chamber please

Will highly appreciate your feedback

Regards

Hello NAZ84
I'm still in learning process for this device also. Just installed it around 2 weeks ago.
My co2 pressure from co2 regulator cylinder around 2 bar (29 psi), please correct me if it's to much pressure, then connected to DIY fine tuning and bubble counter (I set it around 7 bubble per second), then connected to 2 tunze check valve, then solenoid that connect to calcfeeder controller. I still didn't connect second solenoid for kore 7th. At first I set my pressure at 1 bar but the the pressure was not strong enough, around 1.5 bubble per second even when I fully open my DIY fine tuning. Maybe because I installed 2 tunze check valve then I needed more pressure. Degassing time around 1.5 hours. I don't see any reason to rush it like in manual (60 seconds) because I'm afraid it will broke the reactor, to much pressure can make the reactor leaking and could blow the reactor. (just my opinion).

No I don't have ph probe installed in my media chamber (will do it later on, not with neptune system but with kore 7th. Still don't buy neptune.

My reactor sits right next to my sump.

Actually I've already received this reactor 11 December 2018, but it came with broken acrylic tube connecting circulation pump to media chamber. In short, I've repaired it by my self with the help from service (using acrifix glue inform by service, I bought it from eBay). Took 1,5 month to arrive. Pacsun gave me 1 ph probe for compensation.

After installed according to manual, I found out that there's water leaked under mixing chamber. Ask service again, Tomasz told me to glued it again using acrifix. To prevent this from happening again, I glued all the top and bottom flange connected to reactor tube (mixing chamber and reactor chamber). Not for degassing chamber, I'm out of glue. You will see it in my video, my transparent glue all over the place . Now, there's no leak at all.

After filling media chamber with seachem reef reactor md (almost full) ,fill with water, put effluent input and output under water, running refill mode and degassing mode. It's all set. All done.

Below my YouTube video, now set at 0.3 L/h.

Watch "Pacific Sun AC4 working" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/ZgcRAbdHmUg

Regards

REdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2019, 09:08 PM   #950
NAZ84
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply redpanther

Your setup seems exactly as their instructions , it also seems that reviving damaged items happens a lot with many customers due to rough handling in shipping

I’m still facing issues with my unit regarding keeping my Alk stable , I’m using Carib sea ARK media extra coarse

Wish you all the best and hope you enjoy your unit

Regards