Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/03/2019, 01:01 PM   #1
Cpeguero83
Registered Member

RD3 10v Control

Hello,

I am planning a pair of closed loops driven by a 50w and an 80w rd3. I have 2 questions:

1 - the 50w pump does not have a 10v connection. Is this something that can be added, or do I have to buy a new controller for it?

2 - once I have the 10v connection (the 80w pump has the connector), if I’m not using GHL or Apex controller, can I just provide a 10v signal through the 10v connection, or does it need to go through the 10v controller box? I’m toying with the idea of using a DIY controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cpeguero83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2019, 01:40 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpeguero83 View Post
Hello,

I am planning a pair of closed loops driven by a 50w and an 80w rd3. I have 2 questions:

1 - the 50w pump does not have a 10v connection. Is this something that can be added, or do I have to buy a new controller for it?

2 - once I have the 10v connection (the 80w pump has the connector), if I’m not using GHL or Apex controller, can I just provide a 10v signal through the 10v connection, or does it need to go through the 10v controller box? I’m toying with the idea of using a DIY controller.

My guess is that your current 50w has the hardwired controller and not the newer version with the quick connect plug between the controller and motor. If you’re motor is hardwired to the controller, that is not something that is not user replaceable and the entire pump would need to be swapped for the newest 0-10v model with the quick connect plug between the motor and controller.

If your 80w has the small din connection for 0-10v control, you’d need the 0-10v interface kit. The kit includes a little red box that attaches to the RD3. It also includes a cable that you’d connect to a controller like the Apex or Profilux and lastly includes a small power adapter to connect to the interface kit. You would need this interface kit to use 0-10v on either the newer 50w or the 80w pumps. Only the 150w and 230w require just a cable connection. That said, the 10v input is in mA so you’d have to supply very low current to control it and while it can be done, you risk damaging the 0-10v interface if you supply too much current or cross the wires or wire it wrong. This is why we supply special cables with the interface kits to match up to specific controllers.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2019, 06:31 PM   #3
Cpeguero83
Registered Member

Ok. Thanks for the info. Guess I’ll have to replace the 50w... still in its box...

Do I need a separate controller box for each pump?

Will the controller box work with Coralvue’s Hydros Wave Engine?

Still in the planning phases for this build, so it’s not too difficult to shift if necessary.

Unread 09/03/2019, 07:27 PM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Ok. Thanks for the info. Guess I’ll have to replace the 50w... still in its box...

Do I need a separate controller box for each pump?

Will the controller box work with Coralvue’s Hydros Wave Engine?

Still in the planning phases for this build, so it’s not too difficult to shift if necessary.

You will need a dedicated 0-10v interface adapter for each of those pumps. We have not tested with the Hydros (way too new) so I couldn’t tell you but if they adhere to standard 0-10v standards (which they should) and make a cable for it or if we make a cable for it, it should work fine. That said, why not get an Apex or Profilux at that point? They you can monitor and control your entire system?

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 09/03/2019, 08:07 PM   #5
Cpeguero83
Registered Member

Ok. I was just at MACNA, and Coralvue was demo-ing a controller as well, with all the various bells and whistles. Since I'm in no rush (yet), I want to see which of the controllers will work best.

So far, I'm leaning towards GHL, but Coralvue's controller looked to do most, if not all, the things the other two big names do, but at a lower price point (I think). I'm not sure what is driving that, if you're giving up quality, etc, but figured it'd be worth exploring.

Also will depend on what the Ion Director looks like. I'm not a huge fan of the Trident at the moment, and like the idea of not having reagents. Coralvue debuted their version of this at MACNA, so it's looking like Coralvue and GHL are my top contenders at the moment. Going to have to lay out all the attributes, pros, and cons of each one...... choice - kind of a fun problem to have

Unread 09/03/2019, 10:15 PM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Ok. I was just at MACNA, and Coralvue was demo-ing a controller as well, with all the various bells and whistles. Since I'm in no rush (yet), I want to see which of the controllers will work best.

So far, I'm leaning towards GHL, but Coralvue's controller looked to do most, if not all, the things the other two big names do, but at a lower price point (I think). I'm not sure what is driving that, if you're giving up quality, etc, but figured it'd be worth exploring.

Also will depend on what the Ion Director looks like. I'm not a huge fan of the Trident at the moment, and like the idea of not having reagents. Coralvue debuted their version of this at MACNA, so it's looking like Coralvue and GHL are my top contenders at the moment. Going to have to lay out all the attributes, pros, and cons of each one...... choice - kind of a fun problem to have
I do not believe the CV controller will be anywhere near the capabilities that the Apex or Profilux are right out of the gate. Both Neptune and GHL have been building and developing controllers for decades now and both have a lot of advanced functionality beyond just 0-10v and basic monitoring. I’ve used Neptune controllers since the first Aqua Controller was released in the mid 90’s and I’ve also used GHL for many years too. Both make/develop their own controllers and support them which has been the meat and potatoes of their business for decades now. Time will tell on the CV controller but it’s going to take time for that product to mature and in the mean time, the others will building on their existing platform. I have an Apex here on my system as well as Profilux 3.1 and Profilux 4. Being in the technology industry (computer business) as well as the aquarium industry, I make it a point to know the ins and outs of all available products. Heck, I even have have a Cerebra. LOL. And I will get one of the Hydros when the time comes. I am however looking forward to what the future holds for that product but my intuition tells me, it’s going to be a while before it has the capabilities that other mainstream aquarium controllers currently offer outside of just 0-10v control and monitoring.

And by the way, Trident works well! I know from first hand experience just as I know the GHL Kh Director works great too and I am sure the Ion Director will be no exception. I am a big fan of GHL products. They make great stuff! Same goes for Neptune in my experience.

Last edited by slief; 09/03/2019 at 10:23 PM.
Unread 09/04/2019, 10:41 AM   #7
Cpeguero83
Registered Member

Thanks for the in depth response. The initial attraction to the CV was perceived low cost. However, like so many things, you get what you pay for. I mean, I did go for the rd3’s, so no reason to let cost dominate my choice for controller.

I’m glad to hear that you’ve had good experiences with the trident. I guess I’m particularly keen on not having to deal with replacing reagents, though I imagine the ion director will require some kind of periodic calibration or probe replacement.

Based on your experience, what’s the biggest difference between GHL and Apex? There seems to be a huge user base for Apex, but my impression of GHL (based on what I see on forums) is better build quality. Any truth to that assessment?

Unread 09/04/2019, 10:50 AM   #8
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks for the in depth response. The initial attraction to the CV was perceived low cost. However, like so many things, you get what you pay for. I mean, I did go for the rd3’s, so no reason to let cost dominate my choice for controller.

I’m glad to hear that you’ve had good experiences with the trident. I guess I’m particularly keen on not having to deal with replacing reagents, though I imagine the ion director will require some kind of periodic calibration or probe replacement.

Based on your experience, what’s the biggest difference between GHL and Apex? There seems to be a huge user base for Apex, but my impression of GHL (based on what I see on forums) is better build quality. Any truth to that assessment?

GHL is a smaller company. Their hardware design and software is vastly different. GHL has a very good reputation is and know for rock solid hardware. While Neptune is a much larger company, with that comes greater volume and potentially higher failure rates but both have been rock solid for me. .