Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/15/2018, 07:05 PM   #1
MitchSutherland
Registered Member

Resealing 380 Gallon Aquarium Help

Someone is selling a 380 glass aquarium that leaks at the bottom middle. Not a fast leak, but a leak none the less. My question is: is it able to just be reaealed(removing/cleaning glass and reapplying all new silicone to the corner beads)? Or does the tank need to be completely dissassembled and reassembled? And how does fixing the corner seals only(not the seams) fix the leak? Shouldn’t the structure seals prevent the leak?

MitchSutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 07:27 PM   #2
rocsec1
Registered Member

If it is leaking it is because those seals failed. You have to the whole thing over.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 07:50 PM   #3
ClownNut
Registered Member

if small tank, i think patch will work.
but 380g, i would take it apart, clean and put back together again.
keep one thing in mind, the tank vs have you have inside the tank.

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 09:01 PM   #4
Lsufan
Registered Member

If a tank is leaking then the structural seam & the inner seal is compromised & it would have to be taken completely apart & reassembled. The inner seal is basically only there to protect the structural seam.

Imo I would pass on the tank. Building a tank is harder then it seems & the bigger the tank the harder it is. A 380 gallon tank is definitely not for someone who has never built one. Something that big is best to leave to the professionals imo. It isn’t only the 400 gallons of water on the floor u have to worry about. On a tank that big the panes of glass are so heavy that if it fails catastrophicly 6 months down the road it could severely injure someone & maybe even worse.

Last edited by Lsufan; 03/15/2018 at 09:06 PM.
Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 11:29 PM   #5
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I've done it and wouldn't do it again unless I had no job and had all the time in the world. The amount of blood sweat and tears is rather extensive on a build like that.

I agree that once it is leaking the seam is compromised and needs to be completely broken down. I'd pass.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 07:29 AM   #6
nereefpat
Registered Member

Excellent for your new red tail boa. Fill it with water?....heck no

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
large tank, leak, resealing