Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/14/2018, 09:51 PM   #1
Jyetman
Registered Member

Closed Loop circultaion question

So I have a 80 gallon reef system with a closed loop system. During a 5 hour period each day I'm shutting down the main pump to conserve energy. How long can a closed-loop system have no circulation before the water in the lines becomes stagnate and goes bad? Should this be ok or should I program my apex to fire up the pump every 2 hours?

Jyetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 04:38 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

There is no universal answer to that question..
You have a return pump running at that time right? If so thats going to effect it..
You have a skimmer running right? if so thats going to effect it..
The answer could be hours to days or more...

Why don't you just purchase a few cheap powerheads and shut off that power hungry pump for good and call it a day.. or replace the pump with a DC version or something..

Unread 03/15/2018, 07:55 AM   #3
SPotter
Registered Member

I don't think 5 hrs is an issue but I highly doubt that shutting down the pump for 5 hrs a day is saving you that much money as I am sure the pump isn't that big for an 80g tank. If you still want to try shut the pump down for a few hours a day and concerned about the water, why not run it for 2 hrs and shut it down for 1 hr. Out of curiosity, what pump are you using?

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 07:59 AM   #4
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I have a closed loop on my tank that is reduced down to very low flow at night. As a result I have my apex shut down the OM device at night. That means that half of the CL will not see any water movement for 12 hours. Been doing this for years without adverse effect.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 12:14 PM   #5
Jyetman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
There is no universal answer to that question..
You have a return pump running at that time right? If so thats going to effect it..
You have a skimmer running right? if so thats going to effect it..
The answer could be hours to days or more...

Why don't you just purchase a few cheap powerheads and shut off that power hungry pump for good and call it a day.. or replace the pump with a DC version or something..
Because in the closed-loops system I have a chiller and UV. I do have lots of power heads that are running when I shut off that pump. So far the chiller is not even close to being needed yet. Come July and August in Phoenix when it hits 122 F that chiller is going to be needed.

Unread 03/15/2018, 12:17 PM   #6
Jyetman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
I don't think 5 hrs is an issue but I highly doubt that shutting down the pump for 5 hrs a day is saving you that much money as I am sure the pump isn't that big for an 80g tank. If you still want to try shut the pump down for a few hours a day and concerned about the water, why not run it for 2 hrs and shut it down for 1 hr. Out of curiosity, what pump are you using?
In the summertime the heat generated by this Little Giant 4 MDQ-SC is causing my chiller to run every 2 hours. It does effect my electric bill when chiller is always running.

Unread 03/15/2018, 12:19 PM   #7
Jyetman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
I have a closed loop on my tank that is reduced down to very low flow at night. As a result I have my apex shut down the OM device at night. That means that half of the CL will not see any water movement for 12 hours. Been doing this for years without adverse effect.
Interesting ... thanks

Unread 03/15/2018, 12:26 PM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Nothing like needing a chiller in big part because of the pump you are using to feed it..

Unread 03/15/2018, 01:51 PM   #9
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyetman View Post
In the summertime the heat generated by this Little Giant 4 MDQ-SC is causing my chiller to run every 2 hours.
Curious. I used to run a little giant 4 and did not find it to add much heat to the tank. It's still fan cooled? Maybe it needs better ventilation.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 08:37 PM   #10
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Hum. Sounds like a DC pump is the best oberall answer here. It will reduce engery useage and the heat putt off will be a lot less. I have been keeping reef tanks in the AZ heat for many years now, running MH, in tank power heads and sudmerged sump return pumps. Personally I have never had the need for a chiller. What are of Phoenix are you in? Im out in east Mesa.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 10:08 AM   #11
Mknuwet
Registered Member

One good sized and correctly run CL can be very beneficial and doesn’t have to be so costly.
A 200wt pump running externally isn’t going to add that much heat

Whereas 4-5 powerheads which each use 20-40watts will use the same power and have such a cumbersome space uptake.

My next build of 1000g build will utilize 2 CL and 2 jebaos gyres up at top of tank. Plus my return obviously.

I’m sick of seeing bulky powerheads that need cleaning all the time. I can clean my 2 C.L. pumps a lot easier than 10 powerheads

Mknuwet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circulation, closed loop, stagnate water