Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/27/2008, 03:42 PM   #26
Konadog
Master of the 16 hour day

Quote:
Originally posted by MeuserReef
OK... the bedliner looks AWESOME. Do you mind sharing how much it cost you to have this done? Im in truck country (TX) so finding this service will likely be alot easier (and hopefully cheaper) than the powdercoating. Not quite as durable as the PC, but realistically... Im sure its fine for this application.

What size tank is that stand for?

Did you weld it together yourself?
I was lucky enough to have a friend that worked for Line-x at the time, so I only paid for material. I was told at the time that they would have charged around $250 for the job. The big problem is the sprayer that is used, it's meant to spray flat surfaces (truck beds) not thin pipe. Lot's of over spray, which equals wasted product and your $$. One benefit of a thick material is the sound deadening properties of it. Steal stands can resonate a pump hum or vibration. This stuff you can hit with a hammer and only hear a slight thump.

It was made for my 225 gallon tank, 60" long, 30" deep, and 40" tall. I hate bending over to look at my tank, so I had it built tall.

As far as welding, No, again I'm lucky enough to have a welder at work so I gave him what I wanted and he welded it together for me. I didn't have any corner bracing put on it as it's not needed. This thing would support a train without flexing. I think we tend to overbuild things, thinking about problems we see with wood stands.

-Ken

Current Tank Info: Currently tankless, and loving it!
Konadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2008, 03:43 PM   #27
MeuserReef
Welcome to the next level

Thanks kcress

BTW be sure and pick up a bunch of scrap or short pieces of that tubing and practice until you are confident. You don't want to get 20 welds in and blunder away your material.

This is likely what I will do. Im also really liking the truck bed liner that Konadog used on his stand. Im very interested in seeing what he spent to have that job done.

Im in Houston, TX so theres pretty minimal earthquake risks (pretty much zero) here. Our bigh threat is Hurricanes but thats a whole other animal .

How difficult do you think its going to be to cut the flat steel that will be used to make the triangle corner braces? Perhaps I can find these pre-cut...?

If only I had access to the OCC shop...

Current Tank Info: tankless
MeuserReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2008, 04:20 PM   #28
Konadog

Quote:
This is likely what I will do. Im also really liking the truck bed liner that Konadog used on his stand. Im very interested in seeing what he spent to have that job done.
Did you see the post above yours?

-Ken

Unread 02/27/2008, 04:44 PM   #29
kcress
Registered Member

So konadog I ask again; Tube size? Thickness?

MeuserReef; If you have a steel fab place in town, you can draw up the triangles and ask them how much for X pieces. Or you can get just flat stock and they can be squares that get sheared out of 8 inch flat stock.

You could always just get the flat stock and cutting-torch it yourself. Make a jig so they all come out the way you want with nice straight clean cuts.

Or get squares,(which they just shear like paper), and torch the diagonal for triangles.

The place you get the tubing at would likely have the flat stuff too.

kcress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2008, 05:14 PM   #30
MeuserReef

Quote:
Originally posted by Konadog
Did you see the post above yours?

I hate cross posting!!!

Thanks for the info Konadog! Did you purchase the steel retail or was that yet another "hookup"?

Unread 02/27/2008, 05:36 PM   #31
Konadog

Yep, another hookup Gota do it when you can!

kcress, the tubing was 2 x 2 but I'm not sure of the thickness. More than 1/16th, but probably under 1/8th. I know it wasn't the thin stuff as the stand was very heavy in the end.

-Ken

Unread 02/27/2008, 05:48 PM   #32
MeuserReef

Quote:
Yep, another hookup Gota do it when you can!
Hey... no ones mad about that! A little envious... but definetly not mad.

I found a place here in town that I was told would be able to provide the 1.5" square tubing (1/8" wall thickness).

I have never bought this stuff so I have no idea what a "fair market" price is. What should this type of product sell for (per ft).

Unread 02/27/2008, 06:53 PM   #33
kcress
Registered Member

Sorry but there is no fair market price. A big part of the cost of this stuff 2.2lbs/foot is shipping and volume.

Also this stuff at fab place may be left overs from a standard structural job and so may be heavily discounted to "get rid of it".

I suspect that if $150 for painting is cramping your style.. you will be asking next about wooden stands. LOL

You need to ask the place how much and see if you can afford it.

You are in Houston.. I can't think of many places that would have more 'shops'. Hit the yellow pages and do the standard. Call three places and ask for quotes.

Better yet: Make a detailed list of what you need.

Material: Steel, 1-1/2" square tubing, 1/8" wall
(4) 57"
(6) 40"
etc, etc,

Material: steel, 1/8", flat stock
(16) Right Triangles, 6" x 6"

Each shop will charge cutting fees.

Fax it to three suppliers and get the quotes.

Unread 02/27/2008, 07:17 PM   #34
TeeLapia
Moved On

what type of steel were you looking into as well? There are steel grades on top of thickness, and size.
I believe T06 would be good. You should look up "supply" under the yellow pages, and you can get all the steel supply companies that are local. When they are bought in bulk it is cheap, esp building the stand, it's the labor in welding that will run $$$.

TeeLapia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2008, 07:32 PM   #35
Konadog

Another place you may look for your tubing is a scrap yard. Where my office is located I have two steel yards and one scrap yard to compare prices. It's worth it to call around, some places charge less for stuff they sell everyday. It's usually cheaper per foot the more you buy.

-Ken

Unread 02/27/2008, 08:50 PM   #36
MeuserReef

Quote:
Originally posted by kcress
Sorry but there is no fair market price. A big part of the cost of this stuff 2.2lbs/foot is shipping and volume.

Also this stuff at fab place may be left overs from a standard structural job and so may be heavily discounted to "get rid of it".

I suspect that if $150 for painting is cramping your style.. you will be asking next about wooden stands. LOL

You need to ask the place how much and see if you can afford it.

You are in Houston.. I can't think of many places that would have more 'shops'. Hit the yellow pages and do the standard. Call three places and ask for quotes.

Better yet: Make a detailed list of what you need.

Material: Steel, 1-1/2" square tubing, 1/8" wall
(4) 57"
(6) 40"
etc, etc,

Material: steel, 1/8", flat stock
(16) Right Triangles, 6" x 6"

Each shop will charge cutting fees.

Fax it to three suppliers and get the quotes.
Thanks kcress.

At this point... I dont really have a budget for the stand. The 120 gallon aquarium that I just purchased will probably take me to the limits of my monthly tank operating budget, as well as the wife's "tank upgrade endurement ability"....therefore Im planning this tank build as though it is my "dream" tank. I want to make sure that I buy/build based on quality, not necessarily just by price. I would have no problem paying $150 to spray a steel tank with the truck liner so long as I felt confident that it would last 15+ years.

I have found a few places local that I will be calling tomorrow. I will post my results for reference. I will try to include some scrap yards in my calling.

Quote:
Originally posted by TeeLapia
what type of steel were you looking into as well? There are steel grades on top of thickness, and size.
I believe T06 would be good. You should look up "supply" under the yellow pages, and you can get all the steel supply companies that are local. When they are bought in bulk it is cheap, esp building the stand, it's the labor in welding that will run $$$.
Thanks for the tip.

Unread 02/27/2008, 09:31 PM   #37
activecactus
Registered Member

Here's the stand that I made for my 29 gallon. I used the angle iron from an old queen size bed frame.

activecactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2008, 09:35 PM   #38
Konadog

MeuserReef, when you do get to the point of getting a welder to price things, be sure to tell them that you want everything sealed, no open ends. This will help with places rust can form. When it's sprayed/painted with what ever you go with, it makes a nicer look too.

There are other truck bed liners besides Line-x, look at Rhino or some of the others (even self applied) as you won't have the same wear as a truck bed. The reason I went with it (besides having a contact) was that I'm to stupid to have a stand powder coated. I will chip it the first day I have it and it will start rusting, blistering, and then popping. I just couldn't do it that way.

-Ken

Unread 02/27/2008, 09:53 PM   #39
tonyf
Registered Member

Current Tank Info: 500 gal reef
tonyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2008, 10:03 PM   #40
MeuserReef

Quote:
MeuserReef, when you do get to the point of getting a welder to price things, be sure to tell them that you want everything sealed, no open ends. This will help with places rust can form. When it's sprayed/painted with what ever you go with, it makes a nicer look too.
Im going to be welding this one . I have some welding experience and have gotten to the point where my welds look clean. Im going to be using a 220V Millermatic MIG welder with CO2/Argon gas.

With regards to "sealed", Im guessing that you are talking about the open ends of the tubing, right?

activecactus...
tonyf...

... awesome jobs on those stands.

Unread 02/27/2008, 10:11 PM   #41
Konadog

Quote:
Im going to be welding this one . I have some welding experience and have gotten to the point where my welds look clean. Im going to be using a 220V Millermatic MIG welder with CO2/Argon gas.

With regards to "sealed", Im guessing that you are talking about the open ends of the tubing, right?

activecactus...
tonyf...

Nice welder! Yep, thats what I'm talking about. I had all my corners cut at 45° and welded together.

Tonyf, nice stand, levelers are cool. What was it coated in?

-Ken

Unread 02/28/2008, 02:12 AM   #42
kcress
Registered Member

Quote:

activecactus...
tonyf...

Ditto.

activecactus; You can't beat that for cost! Those frames are often heat treated to eek even more out of the metal. Great for a small tank.

tonyf; Nice. Tank is interesting. What's it's height and glass thickness? I don't understand the corners. What are we seeing? The black.

MeuserReef; I'll be interested in the prices you get.

Unread 02/28/2008, 08:54 AM   #43
tgunn
Registered Member

Here is the stand for my 140g tank.

The legs are 2" tubular steel and have self leveling feet:

I ripped off the foam bits that the builder put there and replaced it with a 3/4" sheet of plywood:

... I did put foam on top of the ply as well.

The stand with skirting on:

tgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2008, 11:11 AM   #44
miwoodar
Likey the bikey

Quote:
I had all my corners cut at 45° and welded together.
Mine was done the same way to make sure it was water tight and it would stay salt creep free on the inside. I cut the sticks but a friend welded it up for me. 1x2 tube in 11 guage. It took about two and a half 24' sticks to make a 37x44x34 inch stand for my 140. The final 6 inches to the right of this pic will be a pass through for the plumbing.

It is very sturdy. I tested it last week and pushed and shoved from every direction to ensure it would hold. In hindsight, I might have added another angle support from the front but it is already way sturdier than any stand I've ever owned.

After a lot of prep work, we painted it with POR-15. Can anyone say 'orange'?

On hiatus. I'm either out riding my bicycle, playing with my family, or throwing ferts in my planted tank. Or working. I hope I'm not doing that though.

Current Tank Info: 140 DIY Cube
miwoodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2008, 12:09 PM   #45
Konadog

Quote:
Originally posted by miwoodar
It is very sturdy. I tested it last week and pushed and shoved from every direction to ensure it would hold. In hindsight, I might have added another angle support from the front but it is already way sturdier than any stand I've ever owned.
Nice work!

Trust me, we way overbuild these steel stands, they just don't move.

-Ken

Unread 02/28/2008, 12:19 PM   #46
Pulp Fishin
Were all mad here.

Anybody have RUST on their metal stand? lol

Aquarium Dumpster Diver Extraordinaire

Money talks, mine says "Good-Bye"

Current Tank Info: RIP:60g Pentagon Reef 100lbs LR 20g Sump Deltec Mce 600 Mag 750 250W Metal Halide & 2x39W T5's Phosban ReactorX2 5gal refugium 36xTO RIP:135G FOWLER /Agressive
Pulp Fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2008, 01:28 PM   #47
miwoodar
Likey the bikey

Pulp Fishin - why lol? I've heard a lot of speculation of rusty stands, but I've yet to see one. Salt water and steel definitely don't mix well, but if it is properly coated or painted, it will be fine.

BTW - the yellowing in my first pic came when I cleaned it with a metal cleaner that contained zinc phosphate.

On hiatus. I'm either out riding my bicycle, playing with my family, or throwing ferts in my planted tank. Or working. I hope I'm not doing that though.

Current Tank Info: 140 DIY Cube
miwoodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2008, 01:54 PM   #48
kcress
Registered Member

tgunn; That top angle iron is a really nice deal! No tank sliding. I do wonder how you actually place a tank into one of those as you can't get your fingers under the tank. Ouch!

miwoodar; Those cans are a really bad idea for feet.

LOL

So you brush painted it??

Unread 02/28/2008, 01:54 PM   #49
activecactus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pulp Fishin
Anybody have RUST on their metal stand? lol
I sprayed my stand with Rustoleum industrial paint, and after 2 years I only have a couple of rust stains about the size of the tip of a pencil.

activecactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2008, 02:11 PM   #50
Konadog

Going on two years and I don't see anything that rust could even start on, coating over everything still. I even had salt buildup on an edge of one leg

-Ken