Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/12/2017, 12:35 PM   #1
jlfalin
Registered Member

Which Auto Waterchange System: DOS or Renew

So I am in the process of setting up a system that will be in the 850gallon range. I am trying to finalize the plans for my fist room but to do that I need to decide on what auto water change system I will use. My options are the Neptune DOS and the Genesis Renew. If I go the Genesis route I will need to squeeze a 65-105gallon water container into the fish room. If I do the DOS then I will just have it pull from a tank in my utility room. My goal is to change 1% of the system per day so I will do 8.5gal with the DOS or 9 gallon with the Renew. Does anyone have any experience with one or both of these that can give some input. I feel the Renew is a larger up front investment but will last longer and be more precise/less recalibrating than the DOS. The DOS gives me the benefit of more free space in the fish room moving the mixing station to another location in my basement.

jlfalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2017, 10:41 PM   #2
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

I have the renew and have nothing but good things to say about it.

Unread 07/15/2017, 04:30 PM   #3
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

The renew system is designed and built to do just that one very thing. DoS is a dosing system that can be purposed for AWC.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2017, 12:26 PM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Renew.. Best water change system ever made. I've had mine for years and wouldn't change it for anything. I've installed a few locally to me as well and everybody absolutely loves them.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2017, 01:31 PM   #5
CCWS
Registered Member

I have the DOS on my 125. I'm not sure it could do the volume of water changes you would need to do on a tank that size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2017, 04:04 PM   #6
WLachnit
Registered Member

I have a few friends that are successfully using the DOS, albeit on smaller systems. I've been wrestling with the same question for my 300g.

WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2017, 06:49 PM   #7
Hastened
Registered Member

Renew is awesome. it is so easy to set up and use.

Hastened is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2017, 07:03 PM   #8
chris o
Registered Member

I am currently in the middle of my 430/600 build and my "fish room" (QT, 350 gallon water and general storage) is 100ft away so I went with Stenner duel head pump and am very happy. I love the design of Renew but the distance from DT made it a problem.

Chris

chris o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2017, 10:37 PM   #9
Breadman03
New Old School

Which Auto Waterchange System: DOS or Renew

The DOS would probably do the job, but it really isn't the right tool for it. And I run my AWC with DOS.

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote