Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/24/2017, 12:57 PM   #2251
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuristic View Post
Fish look great!

I know you're a member of #TeamNeverQuarantine, do your fish ever show signs of illness and they just all fought it off?
Some of these were "observed" for a little bit in a QT, some came from another tank of mine, and some were just thrown in.
None ever showed any sign of disease.
The foxface is the newest and was quite thin/small but he's starting to fatten up.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2017, 12:59 PM   #2252
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
Very nice shots. Are you using it off camera? I'm looking at making a couple removable rails to mount mine above the tank for pics.
These were taken with the flash mounted on camera but bounced off the ceiling.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Unread 11/24/2017, 01:25 PM   #2253
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Lookin Good Dennis!

Unread 11/25/2017, 08:13 AM   #2254
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

I love the blue star leopard wrasse. That is my favorite fish of all time!
Really nice camera skills

Indiana Reefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2017, 09:22 AM   #2255
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Lookin Good Dennis!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Reefin View Post
I love the blue star leopard wrasse. That is my favorite fish of all time!
Really nice camera skills
Thanks!

Unread 12/03/2017, 10:36 PM   #2256
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quick question Dennis... When you had your dino outbreak, were you using Fritz salt at that point?

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2017, 11:01 PM   #2257
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

Dennis,
I was reading somewhere that you had a small tank crash from a rusting magnet on your Nano mag? I had the same thing happen but it pretty much wiped out all my coral. Only coral standing strong is my leather coral and fish. How did you recover from this incident?

Unread 12/04/2017, 08:22 AM   #2258
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
Quick question Dennis... When you had your dino outbreak, were you using Fritz salt at that point?
No, it wasn't Fritz.
In fact, I was doing Triton at the time so wasn't really doing water changes but the tank was probably filled with a mix of Tropic Marin and/or Salinity.

My bad batch of Fritz with Magnesium way off the charts was more recent.

Unread 12/04/2017, 08:27 AM   #2259
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Dennis,
I was reading somewhere that you had a small tank crash from a rusting magnet on your Nano mag? I had the same thing happen but it pretty much wiped out all my coral. Only coral standing strong is my leather coral and fish. How did you recover from this incident?
That was on my previous 200g tank. The two little fishies algae clip.
All my sps lost their slime coat. They all looked dry and kind of dandruffy if that makes sense. Some did RTN/STN. Some recovered.
I didn't know what was going on and thought at first I was over doing it with GFO. It started with my Gorgonians all closing up. That's when I stopped using GFO all together. But the SPS situation wasn't changing. I finally found the mag issue. I pulled it out, skimmed REALLY wet for a bit and ran lots of carbon, changing every couple days. Almost immediately things started to look better.

FWIW, I still use those dang algae clips. I can't help it... they're my favorite! lol
They did improve the way they are sealed and I keep an eye on them.
It would also help greatly to remove them each night but that's a PITA.

Unread 12/04/2017, 08:44 AM   #2260
timnem70
Registered Member

Always have admired your reefs D.
Love the Hawkfish. Mine has become monster sized. Mine is an Arc-eye and I have had him for 6 years. They have such personalities and he hangs on top of all my Large Leathers. I like how they kinda bounce up and down.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

timnem70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 11:53 AM   #2261
Ucantwin
Registered Member

Dennis I'm gonna jump back to your ph if you don't mind. Your ph runs the same as mine 7.75-8. Do you find your corals grow slower at that range? I always see higher ph is better for faster growth but I wonder if higher ph just makes it easier for them to calcify but doesnt mean they actually grow faster. I curious as long as you have your alk a little high (9 dkh) it compensates for the low ph and you get the same growth.

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 12:06 PM   #2262
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
That was on my previous 200g tank. The two little fishies algae clip.
All my sps lost their slime coat. They all looked dry and kind of dandruffy if that makes sense. Some did RTN/STN. Some recovered.
I didn't know what was going on and thought at first I was over doing it with GFO. It started with my Gorgonians all closing up. That's when I stopped using GFO all together. But the SPS situation wasn't changing. I finally found the mag issue. I pulled it out, skimmed REALLY wet for a bit and ran lots of carbon, changing every couple days. Almost immediately things started to look better.

FWIW, I still use those dang algae clips. I can't help it... they're my favorite! lol
They did improve the way they are sealed and I keep an eye on them.
It would also help greatly to remove them each night but that's a PITA.
Thanks Dennis.
Yeah I ordered some reef spec carbon. I bought another wet end to my nano mag lol. I love that algae magnet for small aquariums. I just take out after every use and inspect it to make sure it’s not rusting

Unread 12/04/2017, 01:06 PM   #2263
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
Dennis I'm gonna jump back to your ph if you don't mind. Your ph runs the same as mine 7.75-8. Do you find your corals grow slower at that range? I always see higher ph is better for faster growth but I wonder if higher ph just makes it easier for them to calcify but doesnt mean they actually grow faster. I curious as long as you have your alk a little high (9 dkh) it compensates for the low ph and you get the same growth.
My ph is never high and I never have fast growth. lol
I try to keep my alk around 8. I seem to get better color there, vs keeping it higher.

Unread 12/04/2017, 01:07 PM   #2264
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks Dennis.
Yeah I ordered some reef spec carbon. I bought another wet end to my nano mag lol. I love that algae magnet for small aquariums. I just take out after every use and inspect it to make sure it’s not rusting
Good luck!
Sucks what happened but hopefully your troubles clear up quick.

Unread 12/04/2017, 08:19 PM   #2265
Dugless
Registered Member

Dennis, can you confirm what kind of cable you have connecting your Profilux to the Powerbars? I ordered some 6" Cat5e cables and GHL won't respond to my emails to confirm whether or not they are compatible. Thanks!

Dugless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 09:58 PM   #2266
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugless View Post
Dennis, can you confirm what kind of cable you have connecting your Profilux to the Powerbars? I ordered some 6" Cat5e cables and GHL won't respond to my emails to confirm whether or not they are compatible. Thanks!
Yeah, any Cat5 cable works fine.
I just raid my IT guy's office when I need a new cable.

Unread 12/05/2017, 02:50 PM   #2267
Dugless
Registered Member

Am I correct in assuming the powerbars plug into the wall outlet and then the ethernet cables run from the powerbar to the Profilux? I planned on tethering the two powerbars and then only connecting one powerbar to the Profilux. Does this sound accurate?

Unread 12/05/2017, 07:50 PM   #2268
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Am I correct in assuming the powerbars plug into the wall outlet and then the ethernet cables run from the powerbar to the Profilux? I planned on tethering the two powerbars and then only connecting one powerbar to the Profilux. Does this sound accurate?
Correct.

Unread 12/05/2017, 09:36 PM   #2269
drtrash
Registered Member

How has the sump design performed? I see somewhere on pg 30 you dumped spray bar.
Any changes you would make?
I assume you skimmer section is adjustable , range?
Any concern with only one drain? Your build is awesome, thanks for taking the time to share knowledge and photo skills

drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 10:10 PM   #2270
drtrash
Registered Member

Binged and caught up, good call on reboot. Any design change advice? Not sure i am onboard with high flow, fuge in first chamber, mabe not best idea, debri dump. Smaller fuge can go dormant when nutrient are low verses a full crash, just my observation but never ran a large refugium but my fuge 8x14x11 deplete n&p and low nutrient starved lps. I think a hybrid berlin is the way to go

drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 07:16 AM   #2271
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtrash View Post
Binged and caught up, good call on reboot. Any design change advice? Not sure i am onboard with high flow, fuge in first chamber, mabe not best idea, debri dump. Smaller fuge can go dormant when nutrient are low verses a full crash, just my observation but never ran a large refugium but my fuge 8x14x11 deplete n&p and low nutrient starved lps. I think a hybrid berlin is the way to go
Everything is going well so far.
The only thing I wish I had is the room for a bigger sump. A little more room in the middle return section and a little more width on the fuge. But nothing I can do about that. Doing my best with the space I have.

Unread 12/06/2017, 09:55 PM   #2272
Dugless
Registered Member

If I have two powerbars, how do the sockets number themselves? 1-5 on the first strip, and then 6-10 on the second?

Unread 12/07/2017, 07:02 AM   #2273
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
If I have two powerbars, how do the sockets number themselves? 1-5 on the first strip, and then 6-10 on the second?
Any time you add a new PAB device you have to assign it within GHL Control Center. In that same area of the software you also tell it how to number the sockets.

Unread 12/07/2017, 07:04 AM   #2274
janci
Registered Member

Quote:
You can set that up in the Profilux program once you are all connected.
They will indeed continue counting... 1-5... 6-10...
The dimable socket can be adjusted to a on/off socket as well.

I use 3 powerbars.

janci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 05:22 PM   #2275
Dugless
Registered Member

Hey Dennis, can you suggest an image hosting site for posting photos?