Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/10/2018, 06:54 PM   #101
Wally.B
Registered Member

Trip To Miracle Aquariums (To Visit Tank) How to Scare you Wife!!

So I made the Trek to Miracle Aquarium to check on my Tank Build. Do exact measurements for Stand and Wall Framing, and Final Decision on holes in TOP EuroTrim/Wire-Access into Tank.

I showed this photo to my wife when I got back. SHE WENT INTO SHOCK!!

It would barely fit into my Sump Room (If I removed everything), but that's not my tank. Haha

This is my BABY!!

IN PHOTO: Front of Tank is back side. (ie You are looking at back of tank)

I brought my SeaSwirl and marked out the 3 Possible holes for it.
-> Front Center
-> Back Center
-> Left/Back Corner.

Plus two smaller corner holes for any electrical Wires.

They made a small mistake on the Front Euro Trim (3") instead ot (4"), (They will easily remove to TOP of Tank anyway, for Holes, etc)
-> but that's a good thing, since I decided to go (5") at the Front of Tank (where Drywall Stud Overhang will be.
-> Right overhang will stay (4').
-> and other two sides (3") since no wall.

I also noticed some things I didn't expect, all good things:
-> (like the beveled Polished edges, the trim on bottom, Inside Trim (you see black on base-inside), so I'm really happy with my design and Miracle Build Quality.

And of course, the External Overflow (I have to Thank Matt for pushing that on me). Also Derek from Miracles.

One special adjustment that will be added, is the bottom of Tank (under glass) with be Black Film (So Bottom of Tank will be ALL BLACK).

Last edited by Wally.B; 01/10/2018 at 07:11 PM.
Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2018, 07:18 PM   #102
tenurepro
Registered Member

Looks great... can’t wait to see the beauty in action...
Also what are the merits of external overflow? More space for corals ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2018, 08:15 PM   #103
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenurepro View Post
Also what are the merits of external overflow? More space for corals ?
I don't think there would be any corals at the Top near an overflow box.
Hey if my SPS ever grow that big, then I've succeeded in SPS growth goal

I've never had one, but from having two Internals, I think the External OVerflow to me will have these benefits. (Things vary on type of internal. Some are better than others)

-> A Full Rectangular Glass Plane inside Tank (easier to clean all walls of Tank Inside. May even run my Shelved..RoboSnail for back Glass) (Tank looks better too INSIDE)
-> My Current Internal Overflow box had/Has these issues:
--------> Algae growth inside Overflow since Light would go into Tank Coverage Area. (Cover could solve that)
--------> Had to put guards on since Fish would jump in. Snails got in an plugged the single Drain (Sometimes I forgot to put guard back)
--------> External Overflow boxes are larger so easier to clean (I couldn't get my hand into my Current Internal Easily and had to use tools)
--------> The Large External box will give me two Drains (Less Flood Risk)
--------> Better Surface Skimming (I think with the wider side plane drain) and my Return will be on Opposite end of Tank
--------> Adjustable (Tank Running level), with the Tooth Plate
--------> Possibly Quieter (I'll know later), but I hear A WIDE EXTERNAL can be NEAR silent if the Other Side is Tuned properly.

----> Since I decided on EuroTrim Top/Brace an (Internal Box isn't idea since it would be under glass and hard to reach, or a Notch would have to be cut out in that area.)

Some Downsides to External Overflow:

-------> One BIG downside I can think of (not affecting me) would be a DT that you have in your Living Area (where external is an Eyesore[At Side], or No-Room[At Back] ).
-------> A (Internal Overflow Back Overflow Bulkhead) like I had would not be possible with Tight SumpRoom Space and New (6" deeper tank)
--------------> INTERNAL is better suited (For the reasons above)

In my case Tank is behind wall, and in Sump room with space for it, so will be ideal with my SUMP directly below the Overflow (two drains).

It didn't cost too much more for External in the overall price, and I'm Happy with the decision. (All will be confirmed when Running). Don't think I'll hate it.

I'm sure folks who have an External Overflow might have other Negatives or Benefits.....

(Thang from GTAReef also Highly Recommended I get an External.....It was the ONE thing of all things he recommended to consider for new Tank)
(He recommended I get a "Ghost Overflow" Version, but was too pricey for me...To Pay for: the Look, The Brand Name and the Ultra-Narrow Design...All which I don't really need behind Wall/SumpRoom)

Last edited by Wally.B; 01/10/2018 at 08:55 PM.
Unread 01/10/2018, 09:19 PM   #104
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Congratulations !! I am a big fan of external overflows and the tank looks really good

Current Tank Info: System 1 Mixed Reef: 180g DT,180g Fuge, 120g Sump http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2611735
JonezNReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2018, 10:02 PM   #105
shred5
Registered Member

Stunning aquarium. Jealous

Unread 01/10/2018, 10:55 PM   #106
Wally.B
Registered Member

Thanks All.

Yes it is a Nice Tank, but have you all thought of the Terror I am about to face.

With the 6% Softer Starphire Glass (which I've never had) and the fact that the Tank will be Shiny New. I'll be worried sick about getting a scratch.

I also have to worry about the Stand Build to be accurate. Wall I'll build around the tank.

BUT I LEARNED THIS TODAY from Derek at Miracle Aquariums... (since I was Measuring to the Nth degree on accurate measurements).

DID YOU EVER NOTICE A TAPE MEASURE END IS LOOSE.

Seriously I always thought it was a flaw in the tapes I bought (or maybe cheap, or maybe end got loose).

Somehow after 10 years of build this Auto Feature in most Tape Measures got my project CUTS accurate each time.

That end wiggles to move exactly the WIDTH of the CATCHER so when you measure INSIDE or OUTSIDE measurement is correct.

I am he only person in the World who didn't know this?????

Unread 01/10/2018, 11:11 PM   #107
om6acw
Registered Member

Not only one I have colleague who’s working as a carpenter for 30 something years and first thing he always does when he gets new measuring tape is hammer down those loose rivets ))) and then he admires my closed corners of the base around the room when he has to use half of the caulk tube to cover his

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

om6acw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2018, 11:34 PM   #108
Wally.B
Registered Member

ULTRA FLUSH (In Wall) Consideration

I thought my Tank would be Trim Less on Bottom, but today's visit proved there is a big of Protective Trim.

Miracle Said they could remove the outer Edge if I want.

THE REASON for this IS I WAS PLANNING of eliminating any Wall Recession.

After years of having that Deep Pocket I hated it. Nice Shelf, but had glass cleaning issues.

So the will remove the trim (JUST OUTSIDE EDGE).

This is what I'm attempting to do.

After countless WEB SEARCH examples. Nobody has done this. (Maybe for a reason, or Maybe Never Thought of it)

I still will have a TRIM around Tank, but TRIM will Recede OUT.

The key to successfully doing this, it the STAND DESIGN and the PLYWOOD FACES. (I'll show that later)

ALSO What I haven't shown above is (On either end of the tank, there will be a HINGED Hidden/Invisible Wall Piece, so I can clean around each corner with a Glass Cleaning Magnet)
** MY BIGGEST PAIN in last setup was cleaning CORNERS *** So will eliminate that issue this time.

I think this will be unique and look great.

Any thoughts? Something Wrong.

Unread 01/11/2018, 12:04 AM   #109
Wally.B
Registered Member

The DOUBLE GLASS BOTTOM TANK (Design)

I also didn't expect this, since it wasn't clear in the Miracle Sample Tank Photos.

They put a Mini-EuroType GLASS Brace at the Bottom of the tank (on inside).

-> It provides SOLD STRUCTURE (I'm ok with that). That helps with me removing the VIEW Facing Trim on Outside.

---> Will that Edge inside be a good thing? I was thinking it will help with Rocks not slipping towards the Glass Walls.

---> I absolute DISPISE Sand Bottom Tanks (Maintenance). Sure Love the SAND look (but after 15 years, have converted all tank so Glass Bottom)

So I asked Miracle to provide me with TWO EXACT FITTING Glass Plate (as an option) to make GLASS BOTTOM TRUELY FLAT.

This will add a layer of protection. If Glass Plates Crack, they can be replaced.

IF I don't use them. They could easily be Glass Top (Difusers) over the TOP EURO BRACE.

Why two plates? Well one big plate wouldn't fit thru EuroTop Braces.

I LIKE OPTIONS (and will decide later)

Unread 01/11/2018, 12:14 AM   #110
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by om6acw View Post
Not only one I have colleague who’s working as a carpenter for 30 something years and first thing he always does when he gets new measuring tape is hammer down those loose rivets ))) and then he admires my closed corners of the base around the room when he has to use half of the caulk tube to cover his Tapatalk
That's Hillarious!! :

If you bang those rivets even a bit off then both measurements (inside/outside) would be off.

HILARIOUS. (but you know I've thought of taping it the thingy down before....thinking it was defective, but never did)
Somehow I never noticed that all good tape measures have it. Duh!!

Unread 01/11/2018, 02:43 AM   #111
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
I don't think there would be any corals at the Top near an overflow box. Hey if my SPS ever grow that big, then I've succeeded in SPS growth goal
They will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
[COLOR="Blue"][B][SIZE="3"]

They put a Mini-EuroType GLASS Brace at the Bottom of the tank (on inside).

-> It provides SOLD STRUCTURE (I'm ok with that).
Yep. I have wondered forever why nobody uses glass strips in the corner either.. Finally a few companies are doing this on the bottom and the side corners of the tank. You may think a thin triangular piece of black glass would look obstructive in the corner of a tank -- but nope, it doesn't. In fact, it looks exceptionally slick, like the most perfect silicone line you've ever seen.

I'm a huge fan of stuff like this, as well as layered bottoms made with PVC and such. There's some great stuff going on in tank design these days.

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2018, 01:26 PM   #112
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Yep. I have wondered forever why nobody uses glass strips in the corner either.. Finally a few companies are doing this on the bottom and the side corners of the tank. You may think a thin triangular piece of black glass would look obstructive in the corner of a tank -- but nope, it doesn't. In fact, it looks exceptionally slick, like the most perfect silicone line you've ever seen.

I'm a huge fan of stuff like this, as well as layered bottoms made with PVC and such. There's some great stuff going on in tank design these days.
Yes, it rare in these days, but it appears Miracle Aquariums does more quality work then I expected, than promised.
I did choose them for the quality I saw, but they cut no corners after visiting tank yesterday. (Did more than I thought I was getting. Are making last minute adjustments for me without charging extra.).

The overflow box (has a removable Tooth Baffle that you can remove and clean). Didn't expect that. And with my OLD Internal OVERFLOW Box cleaning those teeth inside tank was a chore. (Never again)

And Tank is not finished. Still holes, Still black bottom skin...still other changes...AND...
When it Silicone Cures, they will be trimming all the extra Silicone away to perfection. That to me is a big beef with my old tank (with all the 15year old silicone coming off at many edges)

Unread 01/11/2018, 09:02 PM   #113
Wally.B
Registered Member

Orphek Atlantic V4 Trial (Postponed)

I decided to postpone the Orphek Light Trial since my loaner was only for a week (till Monday). So I returned it.

I have just too much to do with the Tank Build, and have no time at all to tear apart the Kitchen Tank Canopy (which would have been the only proper test).

It was worth the little bit of exploring since I got to see the fixture. Bulky but impressive looking. Lenses unique. Light very powerful since it lit up the whole Rec Room running on my desk. (still have spots in my eye. Kidding)

I played with the Android/Iphone App to understand what I could consider a limitation for me (since I really like the All-in-one control VIA my Apex).

Too bad about the canopy secure wiring since I couldn't really see the Light Look.

However I can do the trial later once the tank is setup (on the new tank) and (also on the kitchen tank)...... (when I have more time in the Future).

I have many higher priorities right now with the Tank only a couple of weeks away from Arrival.

My MH bulbs are still good for 6 months (T5's I have spares) so no point wasting them, and the old lighting setup will do for short term setup.

ONE POSITIVE out of this is I discovered CORAL REEF SHOP and the Red Fong who is a the owner (nice guy and great store, for Specialty Fish, Corals, Inverts, and Dry Goods at Appropriate Prices).
Currently Coral Reef Shop is the only seller of Orphek Atlantic V4 in CANADA
They provide excellent support, and carry unit spares to service their customers. Also willing to allow customers trial the light for a brief period as I did.

I did come home with a Nice Star Fish (had a hard time choosing since he had a few colors), but picked this Orange one up for my Kitchen Tank.

Yes, I do notice my Kitchen Tank is starting an Apatsia Bloom. (Big one just right of Star Fish)
I did start treating with Aptasia-X, but decided to stop and let the Aptasia grow. (Had Aptasia before, and never a worry (Except first time). There are worse things to get)
Since the Power Brown Tang Died of ick, I may want to try one of my Favourite fish (A CopperBand Butterfly) as an addition to Kitchen Tank.
I had one years ago, and used him to Eat all my Aptasia (but you need a enough Aptasia) till CoperBand get's trained on Normal Fish Food (So let the Aptasia Grow).. I'll even poke them a bit to spread
I learned years ago that you can't really get rid of Aptasia (since hide in nooks and Crannies), and Spores release spread. Only the Coperband Ridded my Tank of all Aptasia.

Last edited by Wally.B; 01/11/2018 at 09:34 PM.
Unread 01/12/2018, 12:41 AM   #114
Wally.B
Registered Member

Found a picture ( of a similar Tank Arrangement) for my Dream Tank (My office-in-wall layout FLUSH-WALL Corner style)

I finally found a picture of a In-Wall Corner tank.

Tiny Image but the best close matching I could find.

It won't be this Fancy but more on the slick side (maybe even will stain, not paint the plywood I got for the TOP/BOTTOM WOOD WALL PANELS)

Similar to my DIY 90GAL (4 Foot) kitchen tank cabinet/canopy I made 15 years ago.

Yup, that was my first Test Fish.

Then Filled with water/sand. (and first Rock). I wish I could do sandbed this time, but I know the price years later.

I am planning Similar Hinged Access from the SIDES (but may even do top, so I can feed my fish (from office) without walking around to sump room side).

The first photo gives me some inspiration/visualization on some possibilities, and how the Corner look will be.

Last edited by Wally.B; 01/12/2018 at 12:55 AM.
Unread 01/12/2018, 01:23 PM   #115
GSMclowns
A Reef Enthusiast

Beautiful tank. How thick are the glasses?
The side where the glass was cut for external overflow, is the glass thicker or the same as other panels?

Thanks

·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>
GSMclowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2018, 01:39 PM   #116
Wally.B
Registered Member

All Glass is 1/2"

Overflow side too, but glass is TEMPEREd (so stronger)

Back glass is Regular Glass.

Front and Right Viewing Glass is Starphire Glass for Extra Clarity

Unread 01/12/2018, 07:34 PM   #117
Rakie
In Memoriam

It'll be ready for fish any day at this pace

Unread 01/12/2018, 08:03 PM   #118
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
It'll be ready for fish any day at this pace
I wish.

I am facing a weekend (snowed in over here), but really don't know what to start next.

I'd like to build the Stand, but keep thinking maybe wait till tank arrives.
That shuts down any wall work.
So might start the stand (with some flexible height ability)

Thinking of just tackling the Worst part of this project. Boxing up my whole office and move my desk out into the Rec-Room Area.

That will give me room and access to Front Tank Wall (for everything).

IT's a MUST TO DO thing.

But difficult task since behind my desk is a Vault of about 40 Wires that were assembled over last 15 years). My house LAN is much HARD wired Ethernet/USB for high speed LANS for fileservers, printers, backups, Video Surviellance, etc
Yes much is Wifi (for Kids Phones, tablets, Gaming, etc, but not the high speed stuff.
PART OF THIS PROJECT is to tidy that up too.

Other option is to start Electrical work (rough wiring).

ANOTHER (Really BIG HARD TASK) it to start re-Wiring, configing my TWO APEX controllers. Things will have to move around, so I have to change EB8 Ports (move around configs). RISKY STUFF if any mistake like plugging in a Doser Plug into a Pump Plug.

I'm LOST, what to start next!!

Too many pieces in this big puzzle.
I know things usually snap in place once I get going on a CHUNK.

I was thinking this all could be WEEKS, but realize it's MONTHS now. At least 2-3 months till completion.

MAYBE I should put together a TO-DO-LIST, but I hate doing to do lists.

I know what I'll do next......I'll put the "to-do-list", on my "to-do-list"
and start building something (that usually clears my mind)

Last edited by Wally.B; 01/12/2018 at 08:24 PM.
Unread 01/12/2018, 08:53 PM   #119
Rakie
In Memoriam

Yep, it can be very time consuming! Take your time and enjoy the process, if you can -- I know I suck at that part for sure -_-

Unread 01/12/2018, 09:02 PM   #120
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Yep, it can be very time consuming! Take your time and enjoy the process, if you can -- I know I suck at that part for sure -_-
I don't think so. You are just a smaller scale kind of guy.
YOU BUILT that really Slick Looking StarShipDock Frag Rack. I love it.

And you personally have ASSEMBLED some of the nice frags on this side of the Galaxy!!

Last edited by Wally.B; 01/12/2018 at 09:10 PM.
Unread 01/12/2018, 09:47 PM   #121
Rakie
In Memoriam

Oops, won't let me post imgur images !

Unread 01/12/2018, 09:55 PM   #122
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Oops, won't let me post imgur images !
Then use flicker.

Nice Artsy Work you did there. Hmm, some color sample for my Rec Floor. I like Oak, medium.

Bet you wonder how I did that.

THE DANGER OF your FIRST POST Attempt.

Unread 01/12/2018, 10:46 PM   #123
Rakie
In Memoriam

Yep, I did that with a friends table too, but more complex and nicer. His grandparents re-did their flooring and were throwing away wood flooring. he wanted to put a few strips on his table, but I decided to cut it all up into random sizes based on interesting knots in the wood or what have you -- It ended up looking like a giant jigsaw puzzle, we put black caulk between all the pieces of wood to help hold it together and darken it up a bit with contrast.

So I guess that's the extent of my building skill LOL. I mean, I think the table is kinda cool and all but not exactly a DIY guru haha

Unread 01/12/2018, 10:53 PM   #124
Wally.B
Registered Member

My Next Move (Will be a Double Move) SUMPS OUT (Will speed everything up for Quality Sump Room Work)

So I decided waste some time to think Next Steps....and ran a new 110Volt wire for the future Electrical Sump Room Circuit. That helped me think about next steps.

Working in that Sump Room Build is tight.
Dust covers to prevent dust going into Sumps, and just no access to all walls (that I want to seal Water Tight this time)

And that can't be done in piece part for a Good SEAL.

So I'm going to move out BOTH SUMPS (Out of Sump Room).

The Far Kitchen TANK SUMP one ijust a swing around the Wall. Hoses are cord will reach No Problem. (DRAIN, LIFT, MOVE, FILL)

The Near Sump for the OLD 65 Gallon is a bit more work (with wires) from Apex.

But there is space right next to the tank.

If I achieve the DOUBE SUMP move, things so go much faster, and quality work too.

Unread 01/12/2018, 11:52 PM   #125
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Yep, I did that with a friends table too,

So I guess that's the extent of my building skill LOL. I mean, I think the table is kinda cool and all but not exactly a DIY guru haha
Very nice. I love anything wood with natural grain. Both came out really nice. Great work!!
I can tell you used the tape measure THINGY thing correctly to get all those pieces to fit.