Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/12/2015, 05:16 AM   #1
nezw0001
Registered Member

Solenoid control

Folks

I've done a bit of research and see there are several ways to do what I would like to do but would like input on the best way.

I have a 55 gallon RO reservoir with a manual float switch to stop filling.

I don't want the RO to run every time my ATO pulls some water and just want to run it once a week

I have two solenoids on the RO output. One that goes to the supply container and another that sends RO to drain.

When it comes time to refill my reservoir id like to be able to hit a Apex switch or feed cycle and send RO to drain for 15 minutes. Then close that solenoid and open the supply container solenoid when will stay open for 24 hours then both will shut.

I have to two outlets set up for the solenoids and a virtual outlet but not sure the best way to put it all together.

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Current Tank Info: 450g see thru tank, MH lighting, 180 basement sump, Apex controller, Lifereef skimmer, 30g QT tank
nezw0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2015, 05:33 AM   #2
nvladik
Registered Member

I think what you are trying to simulate is a flush valve with the 15 minute interval? If so, I would put one solenoid on the input to the system and the second on the flush valve itself.

Programming sounds simple enough without virtual outlets. Just use timers. Input would be on for 24 hours once a week, flush would be on for 15 minutes.

nvladik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2015, 08:50 AM   #3
slief
RC Sponsor

If it were me, I'd get a couple horizontal float switches like the ones in the link below. Place one at the top of your RODI reservoir and one further down. Ideally around the 30 gallon mark if your reservoir is big enough. 30 gallons is typically the best run interval to maintain cartridge longevity and it's also the ideal point at which to flush. The upper float will tell the Apex when to close the solenoid and the lower float will tell it when to open so that your RODI starts up. The floats will get connected to your break out box.

The solenoid will need to be plugged into either outlet 4 or outlet 8 which are the relay outlets.

These float switches are bulk head style and include a seal. This is what I use in my RODI tank to activate and stop my RODI filter. They were included as part of my SpectraPure Maxcap UHE RODI system.
http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Mount-...t+float+switch

I use only quality 110v solenoids which I get from STC Valve. STC makes high quality ones that last for years and have all plastic internals with exception of the stainless plunger. I've got over 5 years going on my STC solenoids. The ones I use are normally closed and the model is 2P025 1/4-3

http://www.stcvalve.com/Process_Valves.htm#0

Lastly, while not cheap, Spectrapure makes solenoid solution that includes the float switches and the logic controller. It was included with my RODI as I mentioned above. When my water gets down about 30 gallons, my RODI automatically turns on and it's been very reliable. I installed the same solenoid kit on my friend Jim's RODI setup and it's worked great for him as well.
http://spectrapure.com/Dual-Float-So..._name=solenoid

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2015, 11:49 AM   #4
nezw0001
Registered Member

Thanks for the input folks. My RO system already has an auto flush feature but the unit still leaks some high TDS for a bit when I fire it up once a week. Due to my water issues I want to manually turn the ro on and not just run it off float switches

How would I set up the virtual outlet programming to do a ON for 24 hrs then OFF?

Current Tank Info: 450g see thru tank, MH lighting, 180 basement sump, Apex controller, Lifereef skimmer, 30g QT tank
Unread 05/14/2015, 12:28 PM   #5
nezw0001
Registered Member

Heres what I have so far but its not working. I kind of pieced this together looking at a bunch of other threads.

VO ROresFill

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Outlet ROresTMR2 = ON Then OFF

VO ROresTMR1
Set OFF
If Outlet ROresfill = ON Then ON
Min Time 721:00 Then ON

VO ROresTMR 2
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Outlet ROresTMR1 = ON Then ON
Min Time 720:00 Then ON
Defer 720:00 Then ON

real outlet ROtoSupply
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
Defer 020:00 Then ON

Real Outlet ROtoDrain
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
Min Time 020:00 Then OFF

My goal is to turn a switch to ON. it will turn on my drain solenoid for a set amount of time, then close the drain and open the supply and run this for about 24 hours, or whatever amount of time then shut off the supply solenoid and the switch in apex.

Unread 05/18/2015, 06:46 PM   #6
nezw0001
Registered Member

any ideas?

Unread 05/20/2015, 09:02 AM   #7
damonbrodie
Registered Member

VO ROresFill

Fallback OFF
Set OFF

Virtual outlets don't need fallback. In this one - how does it ever turn on?

damonbrodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2015, 09:04 AM   #8
damonbrodie
Registered Member

VO ROresTMR 2
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Outlet ROresTMR1 = ON Then ON
Min Time 720:00 Then ON
Defer 720:00 Then ON

I'm trying to understand why you're using both min time and defer here. Can you explay what you want to happen with this virtual outlet?

damonbrodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2015, 08:18 PM   #9
nezw0001
Registered Member

thanks for the input. Im looking for a way to shut it off after 24 hours.

Unread 05/21/2015, 08:21 PM   #10
nezw0001
Registered Member

Yup, im kind of slow on the VO thing. Just starting to figure it out.

I want my RO to only allow flow for 24 hours then shut off so it doesn't run every time the ATO pulls down a little bit. With manual valves I kept forgetting to turn them to the off position once the reservoir was full.

Really appreciate the help as I am stumped.