Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/23/2007, 08:29 AM   #551
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pwhitby
Hey Shawn,

Im sorry you are getting out. We kind of trod the road together there for a while.

I really hope you can get going again wherever it is you move to. Ill have some frags for you to add color! Hell...if you are close by, Ill come over and help.

regards,

Paul.
Thanks Paul, your tank is looking awesome, I wish mine would have been 1/2 as good as yours...

I am being relocated to DSM, IA. So that will put me about 390 miles closer but I will still be 628 miles away (according to google maps)...

Thanks again for the kind words and I will still be lurking on RC when I have time following the 4738364382 threads that I am subscribed to

Unread 10/23/2007, 09:11 AM   #552
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Be sure to let us know what you'll end up with. We're all subscribed to this thread, so this is the best way to reach your fanbase.
I sure will... What ever I do it will prob end up being a very simple setup... I have learned alot with this project, but when I first started and I had basic simple setups I seemed to have better luck and it was cheaper When I started this and planned to go high tech, well all my luck went out the window... I will just have to sit down and see what I can do when the time comes...

Unread 10/23/2007, 09:25 AM   #553
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SERVO
Ughhh Shawn,

Sorry to hear about all of your misfortunes! Let us know where you are going to end up. I can't believe the run of luck that you are having, I only wish I could help you out.

Once you relocate, you'll be able to design/build a house around your tank!!!

I can't wait to see you maximize your reefing potential
If it was not for bad luck I would have no luck at all it seems like lately...

My wife and I wanted to build and I was already thinking of ideas for a "fish room" LOL, but with time constraints and everything else we could not wait 6+ months for a new build, we did find a house that we liked that was just about to have the siding installed. Since it was still in the build process then we were able to pick things like siding color, flooring, cabinets and all of that stuff... It does have a unfinished walkout basement that I plan to finish up shortly after moving in so maybe there will be a big hole somewhere that will fit a large tank

Unread 10/23/2007, 10:57 AM   #554
jnarowe
Registered Member

the walk-out is perfect for an aquarium, being sheltered from the heat and solid floor....try to get a floor drain in before they button up the house!

Current Tank Info: 70g fresh planted
jnarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2007, 11:56 PM   #555
PJsStuff
Moved On

DAmn sorry about all your luck. Now i know not to order from AO. I think im goin to go with Aquariumsforyou for my tank. They have a 10yr warrenty if you get there stand. You would think AO would have flown over and fixed the tank for how much you paid for it. If they told me to ship the tank back. I would have personally delivered it straight up there you know what.

PJsStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2007, 03:11 PM   #556
spazz
Awaiting Email Confirmation

hishawn,
where is DSM IA at?i would bet thats not too far from minneapolis mn, if you decide to keep the tank all you need to do is cut the tank apart and take the sheets with you. once you get settled into your new home you can rebuild the tank with overlaping euro bracing. depending on where in iowa you will be at,i might be able to swing on down there and help you rebuild the tank. i have assisted a friend in rebuilding his tank because it was not done right the first time and had to be cut apart and redone. its not as bad as you would think to rebuild a tank.

spazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2007, 03:26 PM   #557
Sparkss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by asnatlas
I sure will... What ever I do it will prob end up being a very simple setup... I have learned alot with this project, but when I first started and I had basic simple setups I seemed to have better luck and it was cheaper When I started this and planned to go high tech, well all my luck went out the window... I will just have to sit down and see what I can do when the time comes...
I for one will be anxiously waiting to see what you choose to tackle for your next tank . Best of luck to you in your new job (and new home).

Current Tank Info: 380 starfire inwall ,two 150g sump/fuge. Volcano Ca RX, ato, 6' Volcano skimmer. LAIIIs w/400w AquaConnect 14K on IC EBallasts
Sparkss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2007, 04:14 PM   #558
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PJsStuff
DAmn sorry about all your luck. Now i know not to order from AO. I think im goin to go with Aquariumsforyou for my tank. They have a 10yr warrenty if you get there stand. You would think AO would have flown over and fixed the tank for how much you paid for it. If they told me to ship the tank back. I would have personally delivered it straight up there you know what.
The warranty was only for a year and it does suck. But, Will is shipping me enough silicone to redo the entire tank which he didn't "HAVE" to do, so he did work with me on this. It's still undetermined what happened. I have my views, but I will keep them to myself to avoid any unfair bias. So it could have been better, but it could have been worse...

Unread 10/25/2007, 04:36 PM   #559
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spazz
hishawn,
where is DSM IA at?i would bet thats not too far from minneapolis mn, if you decide to keep the tank all you need to do is cut the tank apart and take the sheets with you. once you get settled into your new home you can rebuild the tank with overlaping euro bracing. depending on where in iowa you will be at,i might be able to swing on down there and help you rebuild the tank. i have assisted a friend in rebuilding his tank because it was not done right the first time and had to be cut apart and redone. its not as bad as you would think to rebuild a tank.
Waukee, IA -> Minneapolis, MN

If I end up keeping it I will need help in rebuilding it, so I may take you up on that offer

Unread 10/25/2007, 04:37 PM   #560
jnarowe
Registered Member

I suppose that had you gotten it set up, you would have a horrendous time moving it to your new job.

Unread 10/25/2007, 05:04 PM   #561
spazz

well seeing your going to be that close you will haveto take the wife to see the mall of america and i will take you over to see energys big 1700 g tank. its about 10 miles from the mall of america. lol
also i bet you will become fast friends with the guy (link below) who own this tank. he is a reef addict just like you are. im sure he might be able to give us a hand building your tank back up again. he will be 10 mins from your house. he is going to take his tank down and install a bigger tank in its place. we will need some help installing it. hint hint hint. then we can go over to your house and rebuild your glass tank. you will need some fine steel wool, clean cotton rags, acetone, new can of crisco, 100 count of razor blades, and a bunch of bar clamps with protective plastic covers on them. the rest we can make due as we go. if you need some special pieces of glass cut i have a friend who works at a glass place and i can see if he will cut some pieces for us to reinforce the top with. i think a double layer of glass would really help to reinforce the bond in the corners and give the tank the added security it needs.
do you have an extra reinforcment strip around the bottom of the tank?
it would look like this...

you can see the reinforcement strip around the bottom of the tank to make a double layer so the silicone has twice as much bonding area. the top is made the same way on this tank.
this would really help your tank to be alot stronger and less likely to burst again. twice as strong as a single layer of glass is.

p.s. just make sure you have a bottle of captain on hand. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

www.shallowreef.com

Unread 10/25/2007, 05:19 PM   #562
jnarowe
Registered Member

wow, what a site. That is really trick.

Unread 10/25/2007, 05:28 PM   #563
jnarowe
Registered Member

this picture just kills me...

I am really interested in your theory on the GFO removal via skimming Scott.

Unread 10/25/2007, 05:38 PM   #564
spazz

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
this picture just kills me...

I am really interested in your theory on the GFO removal via skimming Scott.
im not sure what you mean? Gfo???
are you refering to phosphate media removal from the water? that is a line that is attached to the skimmer from the phosphate reactor. it removes the dust particals of rowphos that slip by the filter floss. if those particals get into the tank they can hurt the corals. this is energys idea. by installing the fitting into the skimmer you are able to remove the harmful dust partacles from the water and not burn your sps when you change your media out.
you can't skim phosphates out of the water but you can skim the dust that comes from the media, out of the water.

Unread 10/25/2007, 05:45 PM   #565
jnarowe
Registered Member

GFO=Granulated Ferric Oxide (PO4 removal media)

So I use fine filter floss and my effluent goes into doubled up fine filter socks before going into the sump. What I notice is that with just one sock, it turns orange and with two, the outer last one does not. But I am interested in this idea. I am just not sure the skimmer won't let some by and into the tank anyway.

Unread 10/25/2007, 05:49 PM   #566
spazz

Quote:
GFO=Granulated Ferric Oxide (PO4 removal media)

So I use fine filter floss and my effluent goes into doubled up fine filter socks before going into the sump. What I notice is that with just one sock, it turns orange and with two, the outer last one does not. But I am interested in this idea. I am just not sure the skimmer won't let some by and into the tank anyway.
like i said this is not my idea. it is an idea that energy came up with for his system. it works great for energy. but it also depends on the brand of media you use. you may want to go back through his thread and read up on it. his skimmate was rust colored after we installed the fitting in the skimmer. it also made a huge difference when he changed his media out. his corals didnt suffer the burning and bleaching like they did before. its all right there in his thread.

Unread 10/25/2007, 06:02 PM   #567
jnarowe
Registered Member

OK. That was where I got the idea for the fine socks I believe, but I didn't remember the part about the skimmer port.

Anyway, get back to work. You have a world to conquer, one skimmer at a time!

Unread 11/08/2007, 09:57 PM   #568
asnatlas
Registered Member

If I do keep the tank I am really thinking about doing a FW setup... If I did stay with SW I am pondering just doing a FOWLR setup but I just don't know...

Bubble King 400 External (BK400 EXT) - Ohio 43068...

Unread 11/08/2007, 10:03 PM   #569
jnarowe
Registered Member

Oh my God, I hope the mods don't see that! They'll ban you for writing "FW" you know!

Unread 12/31/2007, 09:33 PM   #570
CaveManNOhio
Registered Member

Do you still have the tank or were you able to sell?

Unread 01/15/2008, 04:40 PM   #571
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CaveManNOhio
Do you still have the tank or were you able to sell?
I am keeping the 600gal...

I just need to figure out how I am getting it to IA here in like 2wks...

Spazz if you are still up for it I would like to take you up on your rebuild offer

Unread 01/15/2008, 05:15 PM   #572
spazz

Quote:
Originally posted by asnatlas
I am keeping the 600gal...

I just need to figure out how I am getting it to IA here in like 2wks...

Spazz if you are still up for it I would like to take you up on your rebuild offer
WELL ITS GOING TO COST YOU SOME BEER AND PIZZA! i can eat a whole pizza by my self. ha ha ha ha well half a pizza anyways.
and i drink expensive beer. weill its not really beer einther. its captain coke. but its expensive none the less. ha ha ha ha

Unread 01/15/2008, 05:32 PM   #573
melev
Moved On

Awesome. This thread will live forever.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2008, 07:52 PM   #574
jnarowe
Registered Member

Beer and pizza? Cheap date! Love to see how this project continues on.

Unread 01/15/2008, 08:18 PM   #575
spazz

Quote:
Beer and pizza? Cheap date! Love to see how this project continues on.
i may be easy.but....
I'M NEVER CHEAP!