Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saint Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists (SLASH)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/13/2017, 07:14 PM   #1
reefslugs
Registered Member

Looking for sticks.

I have a couple of SPS doing real good now for six months. I think I have finally figured out what's been going wrong with my tank. After a few years of changing this and trying that. I replaced my main return pump, which someone gave it to me for free. After replacing the pump, I am now able to keep SPS and Chalices over a week.

Anyway, I'm back in the SPS game. I'm looking for any nice colored sps corals but no plating or encrusting ones. STICKS MAN!

Anyone want a free return pump?

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 200g mixed reef, 65g sump/fugium, 4 Viporspectra LED's, Tunze 2105 x 2 with controller, Simplicity return pump & skimmer, Octopus calcium reactor, lots of love.
reefslugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2017, 07:17 PM   #2
Jordan Kutun
Registered Member

Is the pump still available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan Kutun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2017, 08:05 PM   #3
chucklez
Registered Member

I have some. Look at my profile gallery for pics of them. In Vegas now but will be back in a few days. Take a look and see if anything catches your fancy

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 150g
chucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2017, 08:40 PM   #4
Tigé21v
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefslugs View Post
... I replaced my main return pump, which someone gave it to me for free. After replacing the pump, I am now able to keep SPS and Chalices over a week.
What's the deal with the pump keeping you from keeping sps?

Tigé21v is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2017, 09:10 PM   #5
Schplitter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigé21v View Post
Probably rusty magnet. Had this issue when I bought a skimmer from a local guy. Luckily (after having to harass him with messages for a month) he reached out to octopuss and they replaced then pump.

Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: 110 Gal Display, 125 Gal Custom Sump in basement fish room, 2- G3 XR30 Radion's + 2 48' Retrofit T5"s, Super Reef Octopus XP 2000 SSS Skimmer, 2 - Vortech MP-40, Panworld NH-200PS Return, 8x2' Frag tank, DIY refugium lighting, DIY frag tank lighting.
Schplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2017, 09:20 AM   #6
mpgrant77
Registered Member

I have a couple frags of pink digitata and ponape birds nest that I can do for $10 a frag. They are nice and easy sps. The front left is the ponape and the back middle 3 are the pink digi.

Current Tank Info: 120gal mix reef
mpgrant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2017, 06:35 PM   #7
reefslugs
Registered Member

Quote:
Man I have no idea. I would buy a SPS frag, even the easy to keep green slimmer. All the SPS frags that I tried would start dieing off starting at the tips and go down. Everyone I talked to said it was alkalinity swings. My alkalinity never really moved around do to I run a calcium reactor. But after changing light systems three times, replacing the Jebeo power heads out with Tunze. Buying a bigger skimmer and then back to a smaller one. Trying a different calcium reactor media. Trying a different salt. Adding more magnesium. I can just keep on going. But after I replaced the main pump. I have had no more issues.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 200g mixed reef, 65g sump/fugium, 4 Viporspectra LED's, Tunze 2105 x 2 with controller, Simplicity return pump & skimmer, Octopus calcium reactor, lots of love.
Unread 06/15/2017, 06:36 PM   #8
reefslugs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Kutun View Post

Yes I still do have it. You want it you can have it.

Unread 06/15/2017, 08:28 PM   #9
Tigé21v
Registered Member

Bizarre. LPS and softies did ok though?
Is it the same gph rating?
Wonder if it's leaching something from the magnet, or maybe stray voltage?

Unread 06/15/2017, 08:52 PM   #10
Tigé21v
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Kutun View Post

If you're planning on using this on your propagation system, I'd advise you to reconsider. Darrell has been in this game a long time, with many successes and I'm sure his share of failures (hence the reason for this thread). If the man says the pump is causing problems with his corals, then the pump is going to be causing problems with ANYONE'S corals.
And to tell you the kind of guy he is. He's offering it for free, and telling everyone why he is. Many would just post in on CL, get what they could for it, and let the next guy go through months of frustration and loss.

Unread 06/15/2017, 08:53 PM   #11
Jordan Kutun
Registered Member

Quote:
If you're planning on using this on your propagation system, I'd advise you to reconsider. Darrell has been in this game a long time, with many successes and I'm sure his share of failures (hence the reason for this thread). If the man says the pump is causing problems with his corals, then the pump is going to be causing problems with ANYONE'S corals.
And to tell you the kind of guy he is. He's offering it for free, and telling everyone why he is. Many would just post in on CL, get what he could for it, and let the next guy go through months of frustration and loss.

I don't plan on using it, just figure y not have a free pump. Lol

Jordan Kutun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2017, 09:18 PM   #12
reefslugs
Registered Member

pump

Quote:
And to tell you the kind of guy he is. He's offering it for free, and telling everyone why he is. Many would just post in on CL, get what they could for it, and let the next guy go through months of frustration and loss.
Thanks for the good words. You are right I will not sell it knowing it has caused me issues. I'm not a 100% sure that it was the culprit, but once I removed it I have no more sensitive corals dyeing. They no longer make this pump. I should just trash it.