Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/18/2019, 10:59 AM   #1
hipertec
Registered Member

Green Hair Algae out of control 13.5G EVO Tank

Have a 13.5G EVO Nano Tank and I cant control the Green Hair Algae. I took all livestock out except for corals and do not feed the tank. I do have a few clean up crews (snails, hermits)
Ive removed and strubbed the rocks of the GHA and its been 2 weeks and their all coming back.

I also tried Reeflux with no results. Whats the best way to get rid of the GNA in a nano tank? Is there a critter that can eat all these up?

hipertec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2019, 11:03 AM   #2
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

Is the tank new? Did you test your phosphates?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2019, 11:18 AM   #3
hipertec
Registered Member

Tanks not new. Running perfect for about year and then major outbreak. Tore down to scrub off and now back after two weeks.
Haven't measured phos but I am not feeding or anything.
Lights are Kessil A150W for 5hrs only. Dunno what else to do. Maybe sea hare slug?

Unread 11/18/2019, 11:27 AM   #4
hotdrop
Registered Member

Do you have any photos and are you sure it’s gha and not turf or briopsis

hotdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2019, 01:42 PM   #5
Fish559
Registered Member

NoPox killed algae for me. Nothing worked before that. Been gone for 3+ years now. I dose NoPox every day.

Fish559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2019, 08:50 PM   #6
brettellis
Registered Member

When I did my battle with GHA, I had no nitrate and phosphate reading at all because the algae absorbed it... even though I kept it cleaned down to the rock! I also used Nopox and it just made the coral pale and I lost a few pieces. This went on for months. The only thing that worked was Vibrant, but it's not SPS friendly and I lost a bunch of colonies because of it.

brettellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2019, 11:00 PM   #7
hipertec
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettellis View Post
When I did my battle with GHA, I had no nitrate and phosphate reading at all because the algae absorbed it... even though I kept it cleaned down to the rock! I also used Nopox and it just made the coral pale and I lost a few pieces. This went on for months. The only thing that worked was Vibrant, but it's not SPS friendly and I lost a bunch of colonies because of it.
Just read up on this vibrant. Looks promising but expensive for a bottle.
How long did it take and was it really dramatic in killing your GHA?

Unread 11/20/2019, 04:44 AM   #8
gareth.hubbarde
Registered Member

Get a sea hare, worked a treat for me, 8n 2 weeks it wiped hair algae out. Took him back to lfs, job done.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

gareth.hubbarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2019, 06:39 AM   #9
Crusinjimbo
Registered Member

My extremely overcrowded 13.5G has been running for 18 months on an algae scrubber and a 100 micron mechanical filter screen in the first overflow chamber. No carbon, GFO or or other additives. No hair algae to speak of, NO3/PO4 remain very low or zero. My scrubber is a river type that spans the rear of the tank. It’s about 1 3/4” wide and 15” long with a 12” x 1 1/2” growing screen and fed via my return pump. Light is 9 watts of red from a 12” strip light. All my corals and My 4” 7 year old clown are all doing very well and everything is contained within the footprint of the tank. Can be done��

13.5G EVO
Crusinjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2019, 07:17 AM   #10
Constantine
Registered Member

Look up the peroxide method. Sounds like you've removed rock and scrubbed before. So, remove the rock and squirt hydrogen peroxide all over the algae. Read about it first. It worked for me. Had a huge GHA and turf algae problem after a heater stuck on and went to 95 degrees. Lost a couple corals and I'm sure a lot of organism I can't see.

Constantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2019, 12:37 PM   #11
windlasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth.hubbarde View Post
Get a sea hare, worked a treat for me, 8n 2 weeks it wiped hair algae out. Took him back to lfs, job done.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Those critters are awesome.

windlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2019, 12:42 AM   #12
Tastee
Registered Member

I couldn’t get rid of GHA from my 65g tank until I dosed Fluconazole - Reef Flux in my case. I got the nutrients under control but it had locked up enough of the nutrients already it kept surviving perfectly well and just consumed what little was left before I could even get a test reading on it. In fact after dosing Reef Flux I had to let nutrients rise above 0 before the tank started to really come good.

The only specific thing I did after I dosed Reef Flux was to change my filter mesh socks every 2-3 days to ensure the dead GHA wasn’t rotting and re-introducing nutrients right back into the tank. I did that for a few weeks and then went back to my weekly changes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2019, 04:06 PM   #13
hhaase
Registered Member

What is your water change routine? Any chance you're introducing nutrients with your changes? Check your tap water, and your mixed water before it goes into the tank. Using an RO/DI system? Have a TDS meter in the system at all for your water before it goes into the tank?

How much rock is in there? If the rock has a lot of nutrients in it, it will take a long time to release it all, and you need to keep exporting those nutrients.

Current Tank Info: Slowly stocking up 150 gallons, only a little livestock right now.
hhaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2019, 11:12 AM   #14
Mr James
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipertec View Post
Have a 13.5G EVO Nano Tank and I cant control the Green Hair Algae. I took all livestock out except for corals and do not feed the tank. I do have a few clean up crews (snails, hermits)
Ive removed and strubbed the rocks of the GHA and its been 2 weeks and their all coming back.

I also tried Reeflux with no results. Whats the best way to get rid of the GNA in a nano tank? Is there a critter that can eat all these up?
So what is the update on this??

Mr James is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2019, 07:51 AM   #15
tomreefer
Registered Member

I used phosphate RX and took it out by hand daily as much as I could. The higher your phosphate the harder the hair algae will be to come off. I wouldn't use a Sea Hair slug once hair algae is gone they will starve.

tomreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2019, 05:04 PM   #16
treesprite
Registered Member

If you have cats or mold or perhaps some other things that put ammonia in the air, ammonia could be your problem. The algae eats the ammonia up too fast to detect it in the water and before it can kill anything.

treesprite is offline   Reply With Quote