Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/07/2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Daa Reef
Registered Member

Aggressive Starry Blenny

I've had my Starry Blenny for a little over a week and he has been fine with my Clowns. He does pick on the hermits from time to time but nothing serious. I added a Diamond Watchman today and the Blenny just seems hell bent on harassing him event though it seems he can't catch him. Looks like he is trying to limit the Watchman to certain parts of the tank. Will he calm down, do I need to move someone, any suggestions the Blenny is being a real jerk?

Daa Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2012, 06:01 AM   #2
mal7887
Registered Member

I have a Starry Blenny and a Watchman goby in my 120. Occasionally the blenny will go near the watchman, but he will instantly retreat to his "fort" he built under the rock for a bit then come back out later. The blenny is hilarious to watch sometimes, he moves about the tank so clumsily.

What size tank do you have them in?

Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Current Tank Info: 190
mal7887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2012, 06:09 AM   #3
Cloudburst2000
Registered Member

Starry blennies are peaceful to most fish, but can be aggressive to fish that have similar body shapes. That is probably where the problem lies. The watchman goby has a fairly similar body shape so it's probably causing territoriality in the blenny. What size tank is this?

Cloudburst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2012, 07:01 AM   #4
Daa Reef
Registered Member

I have a 55g tank. Looks lilke the Blenny has gotten it out of his system. Last night he started going about his business as usual. I'll keep an eye on the guys and see if it works out.

Unread 07/08/2012, 08:30 AM   #5
rps3
Moved On

Yeah, blennies tend to hate others a like. I've also heard of them being the ones that run the show after a while and will tend to go after the new fish.

rps3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2012, 10:15 AM   #6
daplatapus
Registered Member

Mine harassed my Yellow Watchman Goby so bad I had to set up another tank for the YWG. Since then I put in a yellow eye hole tang and he's hell bent on harassing the starry blenny. I guess what goes around comes around.

Current Tank Info: 80 gal display 48L X 24H X16D, 2 MP-40's, Odyssea 2-250W MH 4-HO T-5 Actinic's, 80 lbs Aragonite sand, 4 - 150W titanium heaters, Reeflo Baracuda return pump, 150gal sump, Filter Guys Reef Miser 6 stage + 1 Dual RO/DI, LifeReef 48" Skimmer
daplatapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2012, 10:20 AM   #7
smaug1
Registered Member

my lm blenny was a butt head for awhile til he established himself as kingothetank!

58 gallon reef with lps,zoas and mushrooms. almost a year old and sort of ugly right now but stable. bh100f hob skimmer,240 w of t5ho lighting,light alk dosing. Small fish load including pink spot goby,lm blenny,4 chromis,1 purple firefish and clown goby. It is also home to 3 fire scallops.

Current Tank Info: also a 20 gallon peacock mantis tank,species only.
smaug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2012, 08:02 PM   #8
Daa Reef
Registered Member

Blenny has calmed down. Guess he wanted to let everybody know who was boss in the tank. It's funny cause the clowns just kindda ignore him until feeding time then they share their food. They are all truly characters

Unread 07/08/2012, 08:04 PM   #9
Daa Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaug1 View Post
my lm blenny was a butt head for awhile til he established himself as kingothetank!
Your avatar is awsome.....one of the best movies ever. As a tanker coundn't stop laughing no matter how many times I have seen the movie.

Unread 07/08/2012, 10:36 PM   #10
aandfsoccr04
Registered Member

I have a yellow watchman and a starry blenny in my 120. The starry doesn't bother the goby at all but I did add the watchman goby first so he could set up camp.

Unread 07/09/2012, 03:14 PM   #11
smaug1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daa Reef View Post
Your avatar is awsome.....one of the best movies ever. As a tanker coundn't stop laughing no matter how many times I have seen the movie.
I have an old tanker helmet a lot like Oddballs that I wear when riding my Triumph! Oddball is my favorite movie character of all time!

58 gallon reef with lps,zoas and mushrooms. almost a year old and sort of ugly right now but stable. bh100f hob skimmer,240 w of t5ho lighting,light alk dosing. Small fish load including pink spot goby,lm blenny,4 chromis,1 purple firefish and clown goby. It is also home to 3 fire scallops.

Current Tank Info: also a 20 gallon peacock mantis tank,species only.
smaug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2012, 01:03 AM   #12
TeflonTomDosh
Moved On

my diamond goby is a mess. Wish he'd clean up after himself

TeflonTomDosh is offline   Reply With Quote