Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/23/2018, 09:16 AM   #1
RioReefr
Registered Member

aiptasia growing on my clam...how to treat?

I just noticed a small aiptasia growing near the edge of my crocea clam. Where it is growing, that part of the clam's mantle is not extending.

How do I treat this without affecting the well-being of the clam?

I was leaning towards filling a small syringe and shooting the aiptasia with one of the following:

1.) hot water
2.) lemon juice

Would it be better doing this at night when the clam closes up a lot more than during the day?

RioReefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 09:30 AM   #2
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

You can use a toothbrush to get it off. The aiptasia will stick to the bristles of the toothbrush and it will come off with a slight brush motion. It’s hard to explain but it works. This is what I do when I see one that is easy to get to and not embedded in a hole in rock. I even feed them to my sun coral once I get it off lol

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2018, 10:00 AM   #3
A. Henin
Registered Member

Berghia for Aiptasia

I tried everything in the market with no result. they all made the situation worse. To keep a long story short, buy at least two Berghia Nudibranchs, depends on the size of your tank and the severity of infestation, place them carefully within your rock structure, and ..... sit back. You will enjoy an aiptasia- free tank, in a few days or weeks, again, depending on your situation. And that is, my friend, the bottom line.

A. Henin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2018, 12:02 PM   #4
Sam2832
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pslreefer View Post
You can use a toothbrush to get it off. The aiptasia will stick to the bristles of the toothbrush and it will come off with a slight brush motion. It’s hard to explain but it works. This is what I do when I see one that is easy to get to and not embedded in a hole in rock. I even feed them to my sun coral once I get it off lol

+1 remove the clam from the tank place it in a bowl with tank water and use the toothbrush to remove the aptasia and other things. I did it on my clams several times with no bad consequences.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sam2832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2018, 07:22 PM   #5
RioReefr
Registered Member

I don't have an infestation, just one tiny little aipstasia that seemed to position itself on my clam -- and no pest is going to mess with my clam. My tank has actually been aipstasia-free for at least 6 months so not sure it even popped-up like that.

Anyway, I took the "hot water" approach.

However, I do like the idea of completing removing the clam and cleaning it inside a bowl.

Unread 06/24/2018, 07:24 PM   #6
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioReefr View Post
I don't have an infestation, just one tiny little aipstasia that seemed to position itself on my clam -- and no pest is going to mess with my clam. My tank has actually been aipstasia-free for at least 6 months so not sure it even popped-up like that.

However, I do like the idea of completing removing the clam and cleaning it inside a bowl.

An infestation YET, get that one you see out before you have a bunch lol

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2018, 10:04 PM   #7
Bill_Moorman
Registered Member

Quote:

If you have one Aiptasia, you have more. They are probably elsewhere where you haven’t seen them yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill_Moorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2018, 09:31 AM   #8
RioReefr
Registered Member

Just an update, I had squirted hot water on the aipstasia last night again when the clam shell was almost completely shut. I did it about 4-5 times with a syringe.
This morning I found that little aipstasia floating around the water column and took it out of the tank.

That area where the clam's mantle was exposed is almost fully extended (albeit a bit discolored I am sure by some stings by the aipstasia). Hopefully, the mantle in that area was not permanently damaged.

Unread 06/25/2018, 03:21 PM   #9
Bill_Moorman
Registered Member

Quote:
Just an update, I had squirted hot water on the aipstasia last night again when the clam shell was almost completely shut. I did it about 4-5 times with a syringe.

This morning I found that little aipstasia floating around the water column and took it out of the tank.

That area where the clam's mantle was exposed is almost fully extended (albeit a bit discolored I am sure by some stings by the aipstasia). Hopefully, the mantle in that area was not permanently damaged.

Right on! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill_Moorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2018, 08:28 PM   #10
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
Just an update, I had squirted hot water on the aipstasia last night
I have to do this tomorrow. There is one little guy I cannot seem to get rid of and I have already tried Kalk paste twice now.

He keeps popping back up in the exact same spot.

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2018, 07:55 PM   #11
Silly clownfish
Registered Member

I had a similar issue with my maxima - I think it came in with the clam (yes I only Qt’ed for a couple of days due to not having a clam-worthy QT). I used the kalk slurry in a syringe method. It worked without harming the clam.

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef, 20g sump, ocelaris clownfish (20+yrs old), flame hawk, one spot foxface rabbitfish, green mandarin, Bicolor Blenny, Coral Beauty;30g sumpless with Spotcinctus pair
Silly clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote