Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/04/2018, 09:34 AM   #26
SRQreef3r
Registered Member

Crypsis I love the green monti, great color

SRQreef3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2018, 10:51 AM   #27
Crypsis
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQreef3r View Post
Crypsis I love the green monti, great color
Thanks!

The radion is impressive. I’ve always run Metal Halide and this is my first foray into the LED side of reefkeeping.

The only problem is I’m already starting to have too many shadows among the sps. This problem will only get worse so I’m thinking of upgrading to the XR30 Pro Gen 4 or holding off to see what they come out with for the Gen 5.

My tank is down in my basement so if it comes down to it I can throw a 150w or 250w metal halide over it while I wait. I might just do it to compare growth and color.

Current Tank Info: 180gal rimless peninsula build in progress.
Crypsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2018, 10:57 AM   #28
Crypsis
yes

One thing that really helped with growing sps in a smaller tank is investing in a really good dosing pump. I splurged on the GHL SA doser for Cal, Alk, Mag, after which my corals really started taking off.
I also recommend the Aquarimate app for keeping track of all the maintenance and keeping notes. I have it send me reminders for water changes, refilling ATO, media reactors and graphing my mineral levels.

Unread 01/04/2018, 11:24 AM   #29
mwilson.rcdd
Registered Member

Any tips for a new 10g reef? Literally just planning it now to start a 100% fresh tank.

mwilson.rcdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2018, 03:28 PM   #30
sdelgado5650
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypsis View Post
One thing that really helped with growing sps in a smaller tank is investing in a really good dosing pump. I splurged on the GHL SA doser for Cal, Alk, Mag, after which my corals really started taking off.
I also recommend the Aquarimate app for keeping track of all the maintenance and keeping notes. I have it send me reminders for water changes, refilling ATO, media reactors and graphing my mineral levels.
+1 on the dosing pump. In small tanks parameters swing with a lot.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

sdelgado5650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2018, 11:02 PM   #31
Crypsis
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilson.rcdd View Post
Any tips for a new 10g reef? Literally just planning it now to start a 100% fresh tank.
I’d say don’t wast your money on cheap equipment. I’d rather buy used and get the best than new low end gear that’ll crap out in six months.

This is what I run and it would work good on a 10g too.

ATO
Tunze Osmolator Nano (if you can afford it get the full size but the nano will do)

Flow
Vortech Mp10( I also use a Tunze nano stream 6055 that’s been running since 2007) the Nanostream would probably be too much flow for a 10gal though.

Heater
Ranco temp controller with titanium heater(bulletproof if you waterproof the temp probe) I use Ranco controllers on all my aquarium’s

Dosing
GHL Stand alone Doser 2.1( Expensive but so much easier to keep your levels stable)

Light
Radion xr15pro is working pretty nice but if you need to save money t’5’s are tried and true. I used to run a 150w halide over my 12 gal and that tank looked pretty sweet too.

Skimmer
Tunze DOC 9004

A DJ power strip is pretty nice to keep everything organized too.

Hope that helps.

Unread 05/23/2018, 06:23 PM   #32
Matt_work27
Registered Member

awesome info. bump

Matt_work27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 06:23 PM   #33
Matt_work27
Registered Member

looking into to get a 30, 40,or 50 gallon cubish tank. But we will see how it plays out.

Unread 06/15/2018, 03:15 PM   #34
Matt_work27
Registered Member

bump

Unread 01/11/2019, 09:52 PM   #35
FilAm
Registered Member

Hello Everyone,

There are some great set ups here.

I have a mixed reef. It is a Fluval 13.5 gallon + 1 gallon Eheim canister filter filled with just rock rubble and bio pellets. SPS are mostly Montis and an Acro. Using Kessil a160we for light and half of the Maxspect Gyre 130 at the.

My first time housing SPS.

What are your Nitrate or Phosphate levels? My Nitrates are consistently 5ppm weekly and I target feed a mix of frozen brine shrimp with Reef Roids every other day.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Fluval 13.5 gallons. It's about 1 month old. Livestock: 2 Ocellaris clowns, 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 emerald crab, 5 red leg hermits, 3 tronchus snails, 1 hammerhead branch green with purple tips, 1 dragon soul favia
FilAm is offline   Reply With Quote