Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/09/2018, 01:49 PM   #1
pisanoal
Registered Member

Skimmer Selection - 280 sps reef

Hello Folks,

So I just upgraded my tank and I am trying to figure out my skimmer situation. My original plan was to DIY a counter-current airstone driven skimmer with a 5 foot reaction chamber made out of 6" pvc. Im confident I can build something that works, but useability and ultimate performance are still somewhat of a question mark. I can build it for well under $200 though.

I also just stimbled across a great deal (400 with the pump) on a Barr Aquatics SK1620 Beckett style skimmer. Its a single Beckett, total height is 36". The page on the skimmers says up to 500 gallons total water volume, tank size 100-250 gallons. I'm currently running an SCA-302, so I'm thinking this would be a huge upgrade, however I'm wondering if it will be big enough.

My current stocking level is very light with a small clown tang, melanarus wrasse, small genicanthus angel, 2 dartfish, 2 anthias, a medium birthday trigger, and two clowns. I would like to work up to medium ti heavy bioload.

I know based on ratings, the skimmer is too small, but that is fairly subjective.

Thoughts?

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2018, 07:23 AM   #2
untico
Registered Member

Tunze master DOC protein skimmer and you’ll never have to fiddle with it, never have overflow and super easy to clean. Extremely quiet. Have played with reefs for many years and tried just about all types, and they all work but the adjusting and fiddling with them and the overflows is a thing of the past with my Tunze. Wish I had done from day one. Just my experience and opinion. Have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 300gal Mixed reef, AI 52 HD LED'S /180 gal.Sump-AI 52 w/Refugium , 50gal Skimmer sump, 20gal quarantine tank. No Chiller :>)
untico is offline   Reply With Quote