Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/11/2017, 12:59 AM   #1
Wally.B
Registered Member

My Tank Thread (Take3) ★Total AUTOMATION★ DIY Doser, Sump, AlgaeScrubber, WaterChnges

Hello my name is Wally and I'm starting a new tank thread.

I'm no expert, since you never are.... but I've learned a lot over 20 years in this wonderful Hobby!!

This reason for this fresh start, is I'm restarting one of my two tanks.

Not sure where this journey will take me, but I'll start by sharing my next phase of Tank Automation, which is a Custom DIY Aurdino Based Doser/Controller.

LET ME START WITH A QUICK INTRO OVERVIEW before I start on this specific tank Thread, and AUTOMATION.

I have two tanks.

The first tank below... (WHICH THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT) is a 15 years old, 100 Gallon Mixed Coral Tank, that is in our Family kitchen on first floor (Directly above sump room).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post

SPECIAL NOTE: All Photos in this Thread are Stored and Hosted on Flickr

The link to Photo above and all other Photos is here https://www.flickr.com/photos/147613604@N08/.

As per Flickr 3 Party Hosting Policy:

Link back to Flickr when you post your Flickr content elsewhere.
Flickr makes it possible to post content hosted on Flickr to other web sites.
Pages on other web sites that display content hosted on flickr.com must provide a link from each photo or video back to its page on Flickr.
This provides a way to get more information about the content and the photographer.

I won't get into much detail about this tank, since for some reason, it runs on it own.
I figure it's just maturity, and I've done everything wrong over the years, and have run out of things to break.

I think one thing I did right was building a custom lighting setup (Kessil, T5, LED), that's ideal for the low-medium lighting requirement of the corals.
I run lighting very low, which keeps algae, Cyano in check. Best fish I ever added was a Algae Blenny.
I did post a thread on the Custom Lighting Build here.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2510779

BOTH Tanks run into a SUMP Room in the basement that I renovated a few years ago.

In that Sump Room, you can see my 2nd Tank, which this thread is about.

It's a 65 Gallon, SPS only tank, which is build into my office wall. Office in on other side of wall.

I've had no success with this tank!!

I won't get into details, since a 2+ year thread tell it all.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2500379

Before I start this thread, I'll share one more thread that show the CUSTOM Sump Build for my Office Tank.
It will help understand the steps I'm taking toward Total Automation, since the Sump was designed exactly for that purpose.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2570554

SO LET ME START THIS NEW THREAD.

Basically if you read the Tank thread above. I started the SPS tank with no SPS experience.
I first under fed the Corals (via low Fish count) and then over fed the corals with all kinds of additives, which led to negative consequences at both extremes.
I've had accidents, etc. Even made a Star Wars Parody Movie from A Mega Algae Bloom that followed a Mega Cyano Bloom by using Timelapse Web Cam observation of various CUC to fix things. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycQ9YPuAaVk (Mostly done to get my Teen Son Involved).

At the end I gave up on the Algae Mess and tore the tank down and started from scratch.

So this time (TAKE 3), I've built a custom Sump with a Built in Algae Scrubber. My nutrient export is very good.

I still have the same problem that I started with, which is too low nutrients.

Yes, I could add more Fish, which is the #1 recommended solution for healthy, growing, thriving Corals. Especially SPS. However finding ideal fish for 65 Gallon community is tough. QT takes time, and I see my fish growing into this tank.

So the New plan is:

-> Automated Water Changes. I hate doing them and I slip with two tanks to do.
-> Automated Dosing Water Stabilization/Quality and Supplements/Food for Corals.

HERE IS HOW I'll DO IT:

This Aurdino Doser is key!!

Here is the Doser (Just Finished and ready for installation on the New SUmp)

It fully Driven my an Ardunio Mega Controller with some Relays controlling Kaemoer Peristaltic Pumps.

The backside of the Controller shows most of the features that I've designed into this next Automation Stage of my Setup.

Months of work went into this project, most of it on the coding.

I just finished the final test runs on my desk with Water, and it ready for installation.

Here is a YouTube Video (Crappy one), but gives you an idea how it current works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFAtzBtKVhA

I'll make a better Video Tour once it's installed.

You might say why don't I didn't use my Apex (Have two), or buy a ready made commercial doser.

Answer is simple. I like to build things, and I wanted specific features and controls. Also, it works with the Apex which I show after I get it installed.

Here is a Summary of the Key features.

-> Dosing Accuracy 0.5 ml, Kamoer Pumps (40ml/minute)
-> All pumps reversible (for priming, fluid return, and maintenance)
-> Programming allows Pumps to be Named with the Solution then dose.
-> Pump Calibration Mode (Pumps can be swapped, and lines types changed)

-> LCD display menu driven, with detail status and notifications.
-> Unique Scheduling configuration
-----> Set daily dose in ml, and you can schedule doses split up at any portion at any time, as many split as needed.
-> USB Logging to PC tracking all events (Future will be to USB card)

-> The Apex Integration Port is a Simple Relay that is drive by one of the Apex EB8 Ports.
----> That EB8 when ON tells the Doser things are ok to Dose.
----> Example, if PH is too high (EB is off). You program Apex with as many conditions as you wish (ie Return pump off, Dosing suspended)

DOSER PUMP SETUP (Primary):
------> PUMP 1 (Aquaforest Component 1) Trace Elements, Mag
------> PUMP 2 (Aquaforest Component 2) Alk
------> PUMP 3 (Aquaforest Component 3) Mineral Salts/K,B

------> PUMP 4 (TOP UP), whatever tank lacks that Test kits identify.

I used to make my own Stronger A/B solution, but for now the above will be sufficient since I'll be automation Water Changes, and SPS load I small.

Eventually I'll consider converting to higher concentration solutions for Alk, Calcium and Mag.

-> Build a DIY Magnetic Stirer (from a computer Fan and some magnets, and couple of Poker Chips for stablization)
------> One Dosing Pump[5] will be dedicated to Coral Foods, which will be pre-mixed before distribution.
-----------> Plan is variety of weekly potions using the following:
-----------------> PolypLab Polypbooster
-----------------> Acro Power (Aminos)
-----------------> AquaForest Vitality (Vitamins)
---------------------> POWDER FOODS mix in RO Water
---------------------------->AquaForest Coral Food
---------------------------->Reef Roids
---------------------------->Coral Frenzy
---------------------------->AquaForest AF PURE FOOD

-> AUTOMATED Water Changes.
-----> The Expansion Port hooks into a module that controls AC outlets.
-----> Two MaxiJet Pumps will be install in my 5 Gallon Sump Section
-----------> Originally that section was going to be Refuge, but not needed after seeing Algae Scrubber do more than enough.
-----> Setting up a Large Salt Water Reservior (3 month+ capacity)
-----> Goal is 2.5% Water Changes Weekly (Automatically)

The remaining features are mostly with programming, display, notifications and failsafe logic.

In future I plan on adding programming for AutoScheduled reminders for things like cleaning pumps, changing bulbs, since this Controller will be in my face all the time.
(I tried Outlook Calendar, Paper Logs, Email, and none work for me effectively).

SO WHERE IS THIS TANK that this thread will be about?

There isn't much to show at this point. The thread above ends where this thread begins.
I destroyed most of the SPS corals in the last Photo of that thread. Mostly due to instability, neglect since I got too busy.
Also A MH ballast that blew and I replaced last week.
So with that behind me, I'm moving forward again.

This 65 GAL tank equipment setup is the following:

-> 2x 250W MH (Switchable Ballasts), Pheonix 14000k Bulbs
-> 2x T5 Bulbs
-> 1x Custom LED fixture made from Steve's LEDs (SPS Extreme Combo)
-> EuroReef Skimmer
-> DC Waveline Return Pump
-> Sea Swirl of Return Pump
-> 50 Gallon Sump
-> RO System with Reservoir and Tunze Osmolator Top up
-> Algae Scrubber
-> Apex JR, 2 EB8's, PM Module, VDM Module
-> 1x MaxSpec Grye XF150 Pump on ICECAO Controller Via Apex
-> 1x Jebao CP24 WavewPUmp

I'll share more once I get the Doser and Water Change System setup.

Here is what I'm starting with. A new set up frags and I'm taking care of manually for now, but not for much longer.

I'll end this first thread post with the following.

I like to share information. Very open to feedback, constructive criticism, advice (willing to listen, don't always follow), and look forward to getting to know more folks on reef central.

I also hope I get things right this time.

Regards,

Wally

Last edited by Wally.B; 08/31/2017 at 06:40 PM.
Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2017, 12:04 PM   #2
reefmutt
Registered Member

Wally, as I've said before, you are an ANIMAL!!!!
I stand before you in awe!!
Beautiful machine you've built, beautiful start!
Looking forward to this!
Now, I know you will be monitoring carefully and auto wc ing, so I'm just throwing this out there, that's a lot of nutrient rich food you have on your list of additions.
And some overlapping, imo..but certainly, yu have covered full variety.
Sorry if I missed it, what salt will you be using?

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2017, 01:43 PM   #3
Wally.B
Registered Member

Matt,

Thanks. Looking forward to completing the install.

To answer your questions.

SALT:

I used to be a Reef Crystals guy, but the High Alk (9+) is not ideal for my weekly auto water changes. My Goal is to keep Alk stable at 7.5.

I did get into Tropic Marin Salt since it's high quality on trace elements, but it's just too expensive.

I then got into AquaForest ProBiotic which has good Low Alk (approx. 7 so I can buffer up), and high K, but I don't like the Biotic component, since it can't sit long in reservoir storage.

So I just got a box of of AquaForest Reef Salt which I will be using.
[It will work well with AF Component1,2,3] for short term, till Coral Demand goes up.
But you never know, 1,2,3 may be good enough with Auto Weekly water changes (2.5%)

BIO compliment:

Since I'm not going to use AF Biotic salt, I've decided to go with ZeoVit ZeoBak since that bacteria strain has done very well for me. Will use ZeoVit instead of AF BioS.

I have some AF -NP Pro which is a liquid Polymer food for Bio, so I'll continue to use that.

CORAL FOODS:

Have no worry Matt, I won't be putting all of those products in at once. (I just have them all, which I use in Mixed Tank once every other week (Target feeding))

For this SPS only tank.
The flask with mixer will be changed weekly, since Nutrient food can't sit long or it will Rot.
I will be feeding Evenings. Tiny bit (water diluted but mixed up), every other day.
Each week or so I'll change the food mix Potion and see what does well. Maybe I'll skip every other week. Doser has smarts to schedule anything I desire. I also have a spare FLIP button, that I can use to turn off feeding alternative weeks.

Last edited by Wally.B; 05/11/2017 at 02:00 PM.
Unread 05/11/2017, 06:16 PM   #4
Wally.B
Registered Member

THE 65 Gal SPS TANK NOW

I pulled out about a dozen Frags that were degrading due to the instability, light failure and 2 months of neglect.

Sure I could a saved a few by pruning off some good parts.
There are some tiny fragments glued on the rocks so some might come back.

10 intact SPS frags did survive.

Not much to show at this point....
At least the rocks are clean, and coralline doing well for a Clean Start.

I still am happy with the RoboSnail Glass Cleaner seen on the right.
It really helps keep the tank glass from building up bad glass algae since I can't reach that side easily.

Unread 05/11/2017, 06:59 PM   #5
tenurepro
Registered Member

Cool! Good luck with the build Wally; would love to come and see it live!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2017, 10:06 PM   #6
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenurepro View Post
Cool! Good luck with the build Wally; would love to come and see it live!
Hmmm.
I would love to do live tours for everyone interested. Wife would be so happy having Reef Geeks walking thru the house.

But I might do one of those 3D Virtual Tours of the Final Automated Sump Room Setup. The Kind you see on Real Estate House tours web site.

I am hoping to build the Water Change station this weekend.
Have container, ideas to make it fool proof (from spills, not to start a endless sihphon, etc)

Only concern I have is can you hold 50 Gallons of pre-Mix Salt water in a container, that will take 3-5 months to use it up?

I'VE NEVER DONE THAT BEFORE. My RO Reservoir is hooked up to AutoTop Up for both tanks, so it's always fresh.

Do I need to airate it? Have a circulation pump running, all the time or once in a while.

Unread 05/12/2017, 04:45 AM   #7
reefmutt
Registered Member

I'd say it's probably a good idea to keep the water moving a bit.
Air bubbles create a salt mist so not my first choice.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 05/12/2017, 07:18 AM   #8
cobra2326
Registered Member

Very cool build. I'm doing much of the same currently, except with some different technologies. I haven't gotten to the doser part yet, but plan to eventually. How much were the Kamoer peristaltic pumps and where did you source them? Those things are supposed to be super pricey.

In case you're interested, my build is mostly based on a Raspberry Pi, except the lower level bits (PWM, 2-wire, etc) are running on an AVR and communicating over I2C with the Pi. I mainly did that to avoid complexities like RTC, Network, etc that just come for free with a Pi.

That pre-stir mode is pretty awesome. You might actually be able to make a DKH monitor with that

Aquatic Log: http://www.aquaticlog.com/aquariums/cobra2326/1
Nuvo Fusion Build Thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2636370

Current Tank Info: Nuvo Fusion 10
cobra2326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2017, 08:04 AM   #9
reefmutt
Registered Member

Wally, I have a kamoer single doser with the stepper pump (whatever that means) I use it for dosing Kalk. It has a slightly larger diameter tubing than the traditional pumps. I have asked two stores in montreal, who sell the pump, if they can get me replacement tubing. They have both said 'umm not sure.. doesn't seem to be available..' I find this odd and a bit distressing because I'm going to have to change it, eventually..
Might you have any leads on where I could get it. I've been told it is the typical tubingbised for hospital dosing pumps..
I guess I'll have to do some searches. Just wondering if you've already come across it..

Unread 05/12/2017, 08:18 AM   #10
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Wally, I have a kamoer single doser with the stepper pump (whatever that means) I use it for dosing Kalk. It has a slightly larger diameter tubing than the traditional pumps. I have asked two stores in montreal, who sell the pump, if they can get me replacement tubing. They have both said 'umm not sure.. doesn't seem to be available..' I find this odd and a bit distressing because I'm going to have to change it, eventually..
Might you have any leads on where I could get it. I've been told it is the typical tubingbised for hospital dosing pumps..
I guess I'll have to do some searches. Just wondering if you've already come across it..

Check out science supply stores... vwr or fisher scientific... but it will be pricy!

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2017, 08:26 AM   #11
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenurepro View Post
Check out science supply stores... vwr or fisher scientific... but it will be pricy!

Thanks!
I only need a foot of it. That'll probably last me 10 years..

Unread 05/12/2017, 11:25 AM   #12
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra2326 View Post
Very cool build. I'm doing much of the same currently, except with some different technologies. I haven't gotten to the doser part yet, but plan to eventually. How much were the Kamoer peristaltic pumps and where did you source them? Those things are supposed to be super pricey.

In case you're interested, my build is mostly based on a Raspberry Pi, except the lower level bits (PWM, 2-wire, etc) are running on an AVR and communicating over I2C with the Pi. I mainly did that to avoid complexities like RTC, Network, etc that just come for free with a Pi.

That pre-stir mode is pretty awesome. You might actually be able to make a DKH monitor with that
I totally agree that doing this with an Raspberry PI would be nicer.
I have a couple kicking around.
Much nicer for Clock/Date, Storage, LAN access, Easy for WEB GUI, etc.

But I chose Ardiuno for a few reasons.
---> I was Unix Admin for 10 years, coded in Dozen of Languages * BUT NEVER PYTHON ** (Plus ramp up to PI would take a long time)
--> I started with an Ardino UNO, but ran out of I/O Ports, so went to Mega
---------> In my case, I need lots of I/O for Buttons, Sensors, relays, and I have spares for future.
--> Ardiuno boots in 1 second, and is more real time HW control/Processing.
--> I would rather code in PI, but Arudino is much faster for millisecond stuff (out-of-the-box). (Eg, pulsing the Computer Fan, etc).
--> Yes it took me forever to figure out LCD display, RTC, but once I did it was easy from that point. (All my stuff is IC2). I hate the HardCoded signalling, and figuring out libraries.

Last edited by Wally.B; 05/12/2017 at 12:01 PM.
Unread 05/12/2017, 11:31 AM   #13
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
I got my pumps for Aliexpress, from Kamoer directly.
Yes, they have some beauties for MEGA Bucks. (Stepper kind, nice looking) I got the basic cheapest, but these work really nice, compared to the $5 ones I got before.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kamo...608.0.0.XvHyHD
They also sell tubing by the meter, and I have two diameter versions on my pumps. (There are also different materials, Silicone, and extra high quality)
Here is the same store for tubing. Nice sale rep if you HIT contact.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...612.0.0.vmehrV
If you want fast shipping ask them for Epacket, it will arrive in 2 weeks, instead of 2 months.
It's not easy to find tubing locally. I tried. There must be LOCAL industrial type stores that sell Peristaltic Tubing, but they are hidden

Last edited by Wally.B; 05/12/2017 at 11:47 AM.
Unread 05/12/2017, 11:36 AM   #14
Wally.B
Registered Member

AUTO WATER CHANGE (CODE & APEX Integration) ** TESTED **

Writing the Code for Water changes, way baby stuff compare do what I did before for the whole doser.

But cool part was seeing if my Apex Integration Idea will work. IT DID.

This diagrams explains it all.

So now I just have to do the plumbing for the pumps, and some mounting of sensors in the Sump Reservoir section.

I'll do a small test run and post the REAL WATER CHANGE results.

Unread 05/12/2017, 05:41 PM   #15
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
I got my pumps for Aliexpress, from Kamoer directly.
Yes, they have some beauties for MEGA Bucks. (Stepper kind, nice looking) I got the basic cheapest, but these work really nice, compared to the $5 ones I got before.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kamo...608.0.0.XvHyHD
They also sell tubing by the meter, and I have two diameter versions on my pumps. (There are also different materials, Silicone, and extra high quality)
Here is the same store for tubing. Nice sale rep if you HIT contact.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...612.0.0.vmehrV
If you want fast shipping ask them for Epacket, it will arrive in 2 weeks, instead of 2 months.
It's not easy to find tubing locally. I tried. There must be LOCAL industrial type stores that sell Peristaltic Tubing, but they are hidden
Thanks for the info, Wally.
Quote:
AUTO WATER CHANGE (CODE & APEX Integration) ** TESTED **

Writing the Code for Water changes, way baby stuff compare do what I did before for the whole doser.

But cool part was seeing if my Apex Integration Idea will work. IT DID.

This diagrams explains it all.

So now I just have to do the plumbing for the pumps, and some mounting of sensors in the Sump Reservoir section.

I'll do a small test run and post the REAL WATER CHANGE results.
this is sooo over my head but damn cool!

Unread 05/12/2017, 05:51 PM   #16
Wally.B
Registered Member

Matt,

(It's not that complicated. The process. You could do this with 2 Power Bars, and two pumps, two bins, hoses, but wouldn't be automatic)

This might help you and everyone else understand.
You do water changes all the time. (1-Drain Tank) (2-Fill Tank). This is exactly the same. (BUT THERE WILL BE ARITIFICAL INTELLGENCE doing it)

I just have a section in my Sump that is just 5 Gallons perfect.
The way things flow thru the Sump I can actually do more than One 5 Gallon change, in a row. Thus be able to do a 10, 15 Gallon water changes, (2-3 x5Gal, but all will be old water).

The magenetically mounted Water sensor at the bottom can be moved up and down, to adjust water changes under 5 Gallons. (ie my weekly quota 2.5 Gallons)

And that Reservoirs fill, it just a T pipe off my GFO feed that keep the In Sump Reservior cycling with water. It drains into the Return Section.

This picture is should help make things clearer.

It also shows my one idea for the Fresh Salt Water Bin. Got a few of these bin free from somebody who moved.
Inside will be a drain bin. Or I can just put drain bin next to it.

I do have a sinks and drain very close, but that is later.

I will be pushing button to watch a the Water Changes for a while. (No Auto Schedule right away)
Better then the Water Mix, Tank Siphon, and fill of the past.

IS THIS MORE CLEAR NOW?

If anyone has advice, warnings, etc. Now is the time to speak. I'll building it all this weekend. (I hope)

Last edited by Wally.B; 05/12/2017 at 06:01 PM.
Unread 05/12/2017, 06:24 PM   #17
Wally.B
Registered Member

THE SIPHON BREAK To prevent a Massive New Salt Water Dump)

One more important part of the design.

I may not need this, but I won't know till I test things.

My sump is low to the ground. And the Pump is not Peristaltic. It's just a Maxi-Jet 1200. (So open flow)

If the Water in the Reservoir is higher, then sump reservoir section during a fill, a siphon could drain more than I wish (From the New Water Reservoir).

This minor adjustment (Siphon break) may be needed. More ways than one to do this.

Unread 05/12/2017, 08:09 PM   #18
Wally.B
Registered Member

WATER LEVEL SENSORS (For Water Changer Section Level Detects)

One last detail.

These are the Water Level Sensors that are mounted in the SUMP Water Change Compartment Section.

The Top one is to sense when the compartment is full. It will be permanently mounted.

The Bottom one is movable to select the amount of water change desired.

The Doser is coded with DOUBLE failsafe logic (to no over-do anything):

-> The Sensors will detect water levels for Stop-Drain, Start-Fill, Finish-Fill
-> ALSO there will be a timer-config that is just over the Start/Stop Points (So pumps will stop anyway, even if sensors fail).
---------> BUT THEN AN ALARM CONDITION WILL BE TRIGGERED.

I may also add a sensor for the Fresh Salt Water Reservoir, and possibly one for the Drain Bin.

Unread 05/12/2017, 08:51 PM   #19
Wally.B
Registered Member

(The Relays) Core Components for Controller.

Last but not least. The RELAYS are the core components of the Controller, beside the Aurdino.

They are about $3 for a 2 Relay version.
https://www.amazon.ca/2-Channel-Modu...o+relay+module

That should be pretty well everything.

Now I can get back to setting things up.

Unread 05/12/2017, 10:14 PM   #20
Wally.B
Registered Member

Bad Post since I tried the BLACKLISTED URL.

Last edited by Wally.B; 05/12/2017 at 10:19 PM.
Unread 05/12/2017, 10:16 PM   #21
Wally.B
Registered Member

PLANNING FOR Automatic Water Changes (How much? How Often?)

This article by the Highly Respected Randy Homes-Farley gives insight to exactly those two questions.

http://_ r e e f k e e p i n g . c o m/issues/2005-10/rhf/ (Fix the URL since RC won't allow links to this site)

Interesting read.

Unread 05/13/2017, 10:32 PM   #22
Wally.B
Registered Member

TEST RUN of Automatic Water Change Mode (Real Water Change in Sump)

So I set things up for a Real Water Change Test (Mixed up 10 Gallons of Salt).

Sump with Sensors / Two Maxi-Jets / Controller and TWO FIVE GALLON Buckets (To get a measurement of accuracy).

I will admit I was a bit worried things may not work, since I never tested the Sensors in Water, Pump Water Flow Speeds. Just the logic.

IT WORKED PERFECT FIRST TIME!!

I shot of video of that 3 Gallon Water change. It's uploading and I'll post as soon as ready.

Now I have confidence to install the Controller into the system (Permanently).

Unread 05/14/2017, 12:53 AM   #23
Wally.B
Registered Member

Finally!! The YOU TUBE VIDEO (of Automatic Water Change RUN [Real Salt Water, In Aquarium SUMP ] ) UPLOADED

Ooops. No wonder Upload was taking forever (Thought it was my internet). BUt I thought I shot 640(30fps) video, but my camera was set to MediumRes 1280(60fps).

HERE IS THE YOU TUBE LINK of the Auto Water Change TEST RUN.

https://youtu.be/-QnmB1YZ520

[Pardon the Shaky Video. I had no help to Run Demo and Shoot at same time, plus I didn't edit out shaky parts to give you sense of START-to-FINISH real timing.]

The interesting part that I noticed that I didn't plan in the design, is the Trickle Water Filling of the Rufuge is Ideal.
It adds old water to the Refuge, and that mixes and pushed the new water slowly to the Return Section, and back to the Display Tank.

I added some Coral Snow and about an hour later the Refuge section cleared up, so that is the Cycle time.
(Minimum time to do a 2nd Water Change, do avoid removing new water).

I also tested ALK (in Water Change Section [ie Refuge]) , since the New Water had ALK of 9.x, while tank was 7.5.
(IT shocked me that the box of AF Reef Salt I just bought is Alk 9.x.) I need to triple check with a new batch.
Not happy. Need to find lower ALK Salt. Tropic Marin was Ideal 7.x

Today is MOTHERS DAY.

This may be a Perfect Mother's Day gift for my wife. She has no clue what I've been building for last 6 months. Doesn't care, but may!!

She always complains I spend too much time on the tanks.
She particularly notices the Water Changes, especially when I do in Kitchen Tank (Buckets, Spills, etc).

I figure this may be a IDEAL GIFT.
I'll show her a demo, and say "More time for her, since no more water changes for 1 tank".

However I do have Flowers and Chocolates as Plan B.

Unread 05/14/2017, 09:21 AM   #24
Wally.B
Registered Member

Chocolates were a hit

Unread 05/17/2017, 09:00 PM   #25
Wally.B
Registered Member

WATER CHANGE/DOSING STATION (SETUP - Draft Design)

So I played with what material I have hanging around.

This is the setup that I came up with after a few variations.

I did try setting up something similar directly over sump, but was cluttered and the danger of stuff falling into sump.

-> Open-Ended / Flexible for future changes and Easy Maintenance
-> Extra room for growth
-> Bins slide in and out for maintenance.

Next Step will be to complete the shelving, paint and run tubes, etc.

Running out to time, since next AutoWater Change should be this Friday.

THINKING ABOUT WHICH SALT I SHOULD MIX UP for the Reservoir.

-> AquaForest (Alk=9.5)
-> Tropic Marin (Alk 7.0, buffered up to 7.5 to match tank)

Last edited by Wally.B; 05/17/2017 at 09:09 PM.

Tags
automation, dosing, sump