Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/10/2018, 10:55 AM   #2651
scav1180
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac2k2 View Post
I'm glad he is taking care of you. It is unfortunate that he has yet to reply to me. :/

It's certainly not my fault that he shipped me two heavily scratched tanks.
Have you tried calling,

If all else fails, I am heading over to the warehouse this week to pick up a tank. If you don't hear anything I can relay a message..

scav1180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2018, 11:29 AM   #2652
insomniac2k2
Registered Member

Yes. I left a voice message and text with pictures. I also just fired off a followup email at 9:30 this morning.

Here is what I said:

Hi Steve,

I left you a voice message and text with pictures of the replacement tank arriving scratched is 4 places as well. I really expected to hear from you on this. This is very frustrating.

While I don’t think I should have to, I have just accepted that I’m going to have an imperfect tank. I just wanted to get your feedback on this and also just make you aware that something is very wrong with whomever is drilling these tanks! These scratches are not small or insignificant. They are very deep. They cannot be buffed out. You really should inspect any tank that is being drilled by this resource. There is definitely something wrong with their process at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scav1180 View Post
Have you tried calling,

If all else fails, I am heading over to the warehouse this week to pick up a tank. If you don't hear anything I can relay a message..

insomniac2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2018, 11:33 AM   #2653
soulpatch
Registered Member

While not cool and I assume he will reach out soon, the buyer DOES need to inspect upon delivery and refuse if damaged.

This goes for anything large you get delivered like appliances

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2018, 11:41 AM   #2654
insomniac2k2
Registered Member

The scratches were not visible until i unboxed and ran a flashlight through it. I guess that was on me. But they shipped a tank that should have never left their floor. These scratches are very long and deep. They were clearly done from whomever drilled them.

What would you have done if you received a scratched second tank in a pretty desperate timeline to complete a tank transfer before going on vacation, 2 children starting back up in competitive travel soccer, and multiple work projects about to start up?

Needless to say, I was put between a rock and a hard place. Seriously, these tanks should have never shipped.

I attached pics of both tanks, labled as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
While not cool and I assume he will reach out soon, the buyer DOES need to inspect upon delivery and refuse if damaged.

This goes for anything large you get delivered like appliances

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank1-1.jpg (34.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg tank1-2.jpg (31.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg tank2-1.jpg (33.9 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg tank2-2.jpg (58.3 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by insomniac2k2; 07/10/2018 at 11:49 AM.
Unread 07/10/2018, 12:29 PM   #2655
soulpatch
Registered Member

What would I do? I'd not set it up if not happy with it personally. No need to do a tank tansfer unless other one is leaking or another issue and even then a larger rubbermade trough from Tractor Supply is cheap and a perfectly acceptable temporary solution.

Also there is NO WAY I would do anything to a tank or change anything before a vacation. You are just asking for trouble doing that...

Unread 07/10/2018, 12:54 PM   #2656
insomniac2k2
Registered Member

Fair enough. The timeline was to allow for all necessary changes and stabilization before vacation. e.g. 2 weeks was my cutoff. I had banked 2 months when this all started.

I'm well aware of all the vacation nightmares. I don't invite them into my house.

Quote:
What would I do? I'd not set it up if not happy with it personally. No need to do a tank tansfer unless other one is leaking or another issue and even then a larger rubbermade trough from Tractor Supply is cheap and a perfectly acceptable temporary solution.

Also there is NO WAY I would do anything to a tank or change anything before a vacation. You are just asking for trouble doing that...

Unread 07/10/2018, 01:03 PM   #2657
soulpatch
Registered Member

Just saying at this point I sure as heck would not swap tanks even if the new tank came in perfect. Would be different perhaps if starting fresh and kicking off a cycle but a transfer with money already invested in live stock no way in heck would I swap.

I never make a significant change to my tanks without at least 3 weeks to watch for issues. I prefer a month if at all possible as SPS can take a while to be ****ed and recess. I have 2 replacement powerheads for my back wall I havent thrown in yet since my other 2 have been dead for 3 months and I dont want to suddenly throw something in when I am gone every weekend to the beach house.

Unread 07/10/2018, 01:15 PM   #2658
insomniac2k2
Registered Member

Can't disagree with your comfort zone. All I can say is that my comfort is 2 weeks. I would not have swapped if i did not have very stringent timelines other than just vacation.

You would have to be in my shoes to have a complete grasp on what my personal situation is.

Every bit of technology i have is in my garage sump. Swapping some glass with a dusting of brand new sand is not going to cause a cycle (for me at least). Nothing else changes. I still have redundant returns, overflows, battery operated and backed up air stones and powerheads. All rock and filtration is also contained here and untouched. Point being here, is that if something bad was going to happen, it would be regardless of the tank swap.

Not saying that your advise is not good advice. It's great advice. It just isn't relevant for me. I personally needed to intersect a bunch of timelines, and this was the best i could do. 2 weeks was my cutoff and this is what i had to do to meet it.

Anyway, i just wanted to share my feedback on a situation with buying an SCA tank. It sucked, and it was not my fault by any means. I've been in this hobby for a long time now. This has not been anything close to a good experience..

Quote:
Just saying at this point I sure as heck would not swap tanks even if the new tank came in perfect. Would be different perhaps if starting fresh and kicking off a cycle but a transfer with money already invested in live stock no way in heck would I swap.

I never make a significant change to my tanks without at least 3 weeks to watch for issues. I prefer a month if at all possible as SPS can take a while to be ****ed and recess. I have 2 replacement powerheads for my back wall I havent thrown in yet since my other 2 have been dead for 3 months and I dont want to suddenly throw something in when I am gone every weekend to the beach house.

Unread 07/10/2018, 01:19 PM   #2659
soulpatch
Registered Member

swapping glass still requires moving rock which can agitate items. If you reuse sand in new tank that can certainly cause a cycle. New sand can as well.

nonetheless good luck on the swap. On the plus side if scratches are on the black back wall only it will be only a very short period of time coraline covers it.... Sucks on a new tank but if anywhere to have them you have em in the best place.

Unread 07/10/2018, 01:27 PM   #2660
insomniac2k2
Registered Member

Not sure if your truly reading my post. My rock has been staged in my sump forever in preparation for my move. I did not re-use sand. Nor did I use more than a dusting (1/8 inch layer) of brand new sand in my new tank. I only added a few cups of old sand which was previously agitated from cleaning (also for move preparation). This is certainly not my first rodeo.

I think we just need to agree that you have a different perspective of my situation.

But yes, I will have to live with the fact that the back of the tank is better than the front.

Quote:
swapping glass still requires moving rock which can agitate items. If you reuse sand in new tank that can certainly cause a cycle. New sand can as well.

nonetheless good luck on the swap. On the plus side if scratches are on the black back wall only it will be only a very short period of time coraline covers it.... Sucks on a new tank but if anywhere to have them you have em in the best place.

Unread 07/11/2018, 05:26 PM   #2661
zma21
Registered Member

Hey guys! Back in the game.

So I bought the 50 pnp. Passed the leak test. I'm doing a herbie system with hard plumbed drain and emergency. I don't want to hard plumb the return if I can get away with it, as I like to clean the pump semi regularly and in my experience I prefer to soft plumb it for easier access.

BUT.

The pump that came with it is 3/4". The bulkhead is 1". The provided vinyl tubing is 1". I have searched up and down for a 1" to 3/4" barbed reducer. Home Depot and Lowes weren't helpful. My LFS wasn't helpful.

Any ideas guys? I'm open to suggestions. Ready to get this thing going.

Got an AI Hydra 26 HD that I'm pumped for. Arm mount should be here tomorrow. Going to keep to softies and LPS for now with a birds nest or monti cap. I have 2 fancy occelaris clowns for now, looking to add a dwarf angel.

Thanks guys!

Current Tank Info: 20 High -> 40 Cube -> Nanocube 12 DX -> 25 Gallon Rimless -> 10 Gallon AGA Temporary Tank -> JBJ 24 LED -> SCA Starfire 50 Cube
zma21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2018, 06:10 PM   #2662
drtrash
Registered Member

Brs has reduced barb fitting

So question is if you receive a tank shipped with flaw chances are you are not going to be able to inspect with driver there if if you do the driver is not there to wait, he is drop and run. What do you do?

drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2018, 06:22 PM   #2663
psturg66
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtrash View Post

So question is if you receive a tank shipped with flaw chances are you are not going to be able to inspect with driver there if if you do the driver is not there to wait, he is drop and run. What do you do?
Over him a bottle of water or a soda, the minute he/she steps out of the truck. Worked for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

psturg66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2018, 06:23 PM   #2664
psturg66
Registered Member

Offer is what I meant.

Unread 07/11/2018, 06:36 PM   #2665
soulpatch
Registered Member

Driver cant leave until you sign the slip. They might not be happy about it but that is their job while you look over your delivery.

So dont sign anything until you are comfortable with the delivery

Unread 07/11/2018, 07:36 PM   #2666
zma21
Registered Member

Quote:
I hate needing to have my hand held, but would you mind linking it? I've searched high and low on that site and haven't found it. I've looked over all of the barbed fitting, but am unable to find one that is barbed at 1" on one side and barbed at 3/4" on the other side. Usually one side is barbed and the other is threaded.

Current Tank Info: 20 High -> 40 Cube -> Nanocube 12 DX -> 25 Gallon Rimless -> 10 Gallon AGA Temporary Tank -> JBJ 24 LED -> SCA Starfire 50 Cube
Unread 07/11/2018, 07:54 PM   #2667
GQuinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zma21 View Post
I hate needing to have my hand held, but would you mind linking it? I've searched high and low on that site and haven't found it. I've looked over all of the barbed fitting, but am unable to find one that is barbed at 1" on one side and barbed at 3/4" on the other side. Usually one side is barbed and the other is threaded.
I did not find one at BRS but this should work
https://www.amazon.com/Spears-Fittin...Bfittings&th=1

Last edited by GQuinn; 07/11/2018 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Updated
GQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2018, 08:08 PM   #2668
drtrash
Registered Member

Pull up plumbing, barbed fittings.........3/4 x 1" thread or 1"x 3/4"thread

drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2018, 08:21 PM   #2669
zma21
Registered Member

Quote:
Pull up plumbing, barbed fittings.........3/4 x 1" thread or 1"x 3/4"thread
Correct, but I don't want threaded. Both sides need to be barbed. The other user gave me the exact one (thank you!)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...9HCU1M8W&psc=1

Now I just need to find a way to get it faster than a week.

Unread 07/12/2018, 03:53 AM   #2670
cincyjim
Registered Member

They sell those at Lowe's and Home Depot. They are a gray color and in our Lowe's they are located on the back wall of the plumbing section.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2018, 11:21 AM   #2671
zma21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyjim View Post
They sell those at Lowe's and Home Depot. They are a gray color and in our Lowe's they are located on the back wall of the plumbing section.
I live in New Orleans, and have been in 2 home depots and 2 lowes and none of them had them stocked. And none of their stock people were aware of what they were so they could order them for me ...

Unread 07/12/2018, 12:15 PM   #2672
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

try calling supplyhouse to see if they can do expedited shipping (at additional cost)

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Spears-1...nsert-x-Insert

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2018, 01:19 PM   #2673
cincyjim
Registered Member

Quote:
I live in New Orleans, and have been in 2 home depots and 2 lowes and none of them had them stocked. And none of their stock people were aware of what they were so they could order them for me ...

Sorry to hear that. Maybe it is a location stocked item kind of thing.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2018, 10:48 PM   #2674
zma21
Registered Member

Well my problem is solved, as I decided to upgrade to a Jebao DCT 6000 that will have the appropriate fittings.

Thanks guys! I'm a new doctor and work is absolutely hectic so I'm scrambling to get the tank set up on my few days off.

Unread 07/13/2018, 11:22 PM   #2675
psturg66
Registered Member

Quote:
Well my problem is solved, as I decided to upgrade to a Jebao DCT 6000 that will have the appropriate fittings.

Thanks guys! I'm a new doctor and work is absolutely hectic so I'm scrambling to get the tank set up on my few days off.
Don't rush it, do it right.