Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/20/2018, 10:02 PM   #1
allendehl
Registered Member

What kind of crab is this?

Hello folks.

After a little over a year I have a crab invasion in my tank. I was able to capture 4 gorilla with bottles but then the others have gotten smart. Though I think they not gorillas. Most of them are doing some kind of karate move with their dusters.
Well, I manage to capture one more and before I decide his fate in want to confirm his intentions.
It seems greenish...maybe an emerald?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 (72G) | Jebao DCT 4000 (1056 GPH Max) | Reef Octopus 152-S | 2 X Jebao PP8 (2100 GPH Max)
allendehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2018, 11:46 PM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

Not mithrax, I think. Claws are outsized and problematic.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2018, 04:57 AM   #3
cincyjim
Registered Member

It almost favors a Porcelain Crab. What do you when you say "dusters"? Below is the description of them I got from Live Aquaria site. If it is one these then its a keeper.

The Porcelain Crab is common throughout the tropical oceans of the world, and has a flat, round body with two large front claws. They are brown and orange in coloration with bright blue spots. These crabs have a pair of front arms called maxillipeds, which have ends that are feather-like in appearance. They use these appendages to filter the water for any passing food. They are peaceful and interesting invertebrates for the marine aquarium.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2018, 07:05 AM   #4
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Looks like a porcelin crab.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2018, 07:08 AM   #5
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

If they are constantly waving their feather duster things in front of their face like they are using them to eat from the water column, they are porcelain crabs and pretty much the only reef safe crab and I actually trust them. The colors kind of match the ones on liveaquaria

Mithrax, hermits, all of the reef safe ones are opportunistic and will attack and kill small sleeping fish if given the chance.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef. Biocube 29 lionfish tank. Mantis tank.
Crooked Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2018, 07:23 AM   #6
allendehl
Registered Member

This one in particular doesn't seem to be doing the feather duster move. Maybe because it was scared. Most of the ones I still have in the tank do.

Thank you all!!

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 (72G) | Jebao DCT 4000 (1056 GPH Max) | Reef Octopus 152-S | 2 X Jebao PP8 (2100 GPH Max)
Unread 11/21/2018, 09:10 AM   #7
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

It is always prudent and safe to not trust any crab, there is no such thing as a reef safe crab. They are opportunistic, thus if given the chance........

I had one of these, quite resilient and as it grew acted like a predator.

Since going "crab free" over 2 years ago, I have no coral retracts, no missing inhabitants, not even a snail.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2018, 09:31 AM   #8
allendehl
Registered Member

Yeah! I pulled it into QT. Hard to capture these karate kids. Bottle traps did it for some gorilla but these folks seem a bit smarter and I have a ton of them...enough for a good stew probably.

Unread 11/21/2018, 09:54 PM   #9
NeonFish
Registered Member

porcelain crab has 3 pairs or legs instead of 4. more like a filter feeder than a scavenger.

NeonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2018, 08:38 PM   #10
doradosteve
Registered Member

petrolisthes armatus aka Green Porcelain Crab

doradosteve is offline   Reply With Quote