Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/31/2019, 11:57 AM   #1
Johnic
Registered Member

Want to buy Apex but I’m seeing problems

Currently I have simple plug strips with some SmartThings controlled outlets running my stuff but I’ve always wanted a new apex controller. I didn’t want to put all my eggs in one basket and have one power strip control all my stuff and if the apex goes down the whole tank goes down.

What’s the consensus on this thought and should i get an apex. ???

75 Lee Mar Peninsula Tank, Reef Octo Elite 150, Custom Advanced Acrylic Sump, (2) MP40, Vectra M2 Main Pump, (2) XR15 Pro, Clear Water ATS CW-50, Alkatronic,GHL Doser 2.1, Apex Neptune El with Trident
Johnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2019, 06:51 PM   #2
nozleman
Registered Member

Get the APex its worth it

nozleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2019, 07:38 PM   #3
ohashimz
Registered Member

I switched from 5 years of apex to ghl p4 and never been happier. Solid controller without all the modules and wires. The probs reading are the biggest advantage compared to apex. All my probs reading are spot on..
For testing if you want automation invest in a mindstream or a kh guardian which in my openion paired with the ghl p4 is more than enough for most systems typs.

ohashimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2019, 08:01 PM   #4
Johnic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohashimz View Post
I switched from 5 years of apex to ghl p4 and never been happier. Solid controller without all the modules and wires. The probs reading are the biggest advantage compared to apex. All my probs reading are spot on..
For testing if you want automation invest in a mindstream or a kh guardian which in my openion paired with the ghl p4 is more than enough for most systems typs.

I currently have the Alkatronic to test alk and want to eventually get the triton to test calc and mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75 Lee Mar Peninsula Tank, Reef Octo Elite 150, Custom Advanced Acrylic Sump, (2) MP40, Vectra M2 Main Pump, (2) XR15 Pro, Clear Water ATS CW-50, Alkatronic,GHL Doser 2.1, Apex Neptune El with Trident
Unread 08/31/2019, 08:22 PM   #5
ohashimz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnic View Post
I currently have the Alkatronic to test alk and want to eventually get the triton to test calc and mag.

Mindstream looked like a better deal for me..same for xepta
The trident is having issues I think, that's why they are not shipping much..almost no shipping.
All these complicated customer dosing heada in the trident makes me super nervous on the long term reliability.

Unread 09/02/2019, 08:26 AM   #6
Johnic
Registered Member

Quote:
The trident is having issues I think, that's why they are not shipping much..almost no shipping.
All these complicated customer dosing heada in the trident makes me super nervous on the long term reliability.

Are they having issues with the trident ? I’ve seen issues with the doser.

Unread 09/02/2019, 08:28 AM   #7
Johnic
Registered Member

Quote:

Forgot the mention, I also have the GHL doser 2.1 and it’s working great.

Unread 09/02/2019, 08:33 AM   #8
Johnic
Registered Member

Quote:

Do you have the mindstream? Looks interesting, I haven’t heard much about it.

Unread 09/02/2019, 09:13 AM   #9
ohashimz
Registered Member

Quote:
Do you have the mindstream? Looks interesting, I haven’t heard much about it.

Not yet I placed an order last week. Looks good and early reviews are posative.

Unread 09/02/2019, 09:14 AM   #10
Johnic
Registered Member

Quote:
Not yet I placed an order last week. Looks good and early reviews are posative.

Ya. Been watching videos of it and like it. I might purchase one.

Unread 09/02/2019, 09:16 AM   #11
ohashimz
Registered Member

Quote:
Ya. Been watching videos of it and like it. I might purchase one.

Ion based and solid state based testing are the evolution of test automation I believe.
Ion director, xepta and mindstream are leading the way and worth the investment in my openion.

Unread 09/02/2019, 09:17 AM   #12
ohashimz
Registered Member

Quote:
Forgot the mention, I also have the GHL doser 2.1 and it’s working great.

Ghl products are solid...

Unread 09/02/2019, 09:18 AM   #13
Johnic
Registered Member

Quote:
Ion based and solid state based testing are the evolution of test automation I believe.
Ion director, xepta and mindstream are leading the way and worth the investment in my openion.

True. Reagents and waste are a pain to deal with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 09/02/2019, 09:21 AM   #14
Darrell Brady
Registered Member

Apex has issues with everything they make.

Darrell Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2019, 09:22 AM   #15
Johnic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Brady View Post

Ya. Been seeing a lot of negative reviews. This mindstream looks great but the $39 a month sucks

Unread 09/02/2019, 09:32 AM   #16
ohashimz
Registered Member

Quote:
Ya. Been seeing a lot of negative reviews. This mindstream looks great but the $39 a month sucks

Well, every test device have reagents you need to buy. The disks are the reagents I'd you think about it...

I spend more than 50$ a month on reagents.

The diffrence with mindstream is they ship the disk"reagent" to toir door steps monthly...

Unread 09/02/2019, 09:41 AM   #17
Johnic
Registered Member

Want to buy Apex but I’m seeing problems

Quote:
Well, every test device have reagents you need to buy. The disks are the reagents I'd you think about it...

The diffrence with mindstream is they ship the disk"reagent" to toir door steps monthly...

True. Ya think the mindstream is worth it or should I wait. I heard more are coming out.
I’m about to pull the trigger on the mindstream.

Unread 09/02/2019, 10:13 AM   #18
ohashimz
Registered Member

Quote:
True. Ya think the mindstream is worth it or should I wait. I heard more are coming out.
I’m about to pull the trigger on the mindstream.

I was waiting for the ion director, but felt mindstream was good also.
I will add ion directoe as well to get po4 and no3.
I think mindstream is the best deal so far if po4 is not a must for you. Otherwise wait for ion director...

Unread 09/02/2019, 10:21 AM   #19
Johnic
Registered Member

Quote:
I was waiting for the ion director, but felt mindstream was good also.
I will add ion directoe as well to get po4 and no3.
I think mindstream is the best deal so far if po4 is not a must for you. Otherwise wait for ion director...

Ghl Director is too big and wont fit in most sump areas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Johnic; 09/02/2019 at 11:16 AM.
Unread 09/02/2019, 10:24 AM   #20
Johnic
Registered Member

Quote:

I did hear they will be adding more test.

Unread 09/02/2019, 11:28 AM   #21
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Brady View Post
The basic Apex (classic) controller is pretty solid - aside from the fact that it isn't suitable for being operated near a reef tank due to the fact they built it with the cheapest connectors you can find instead of using splash water proof marine grade connectors and a watertight housing.
But all the stuff they took from other companies and fitted with an Apex interface are extremely failure prone.
I had a lot of trouble with their auto-feeder and the WAV pumps died right after the warranty ran out.
And their DOS pump is just an abomination. It's designed as a water change system and such it may work, but as a dosing pump it's just too bulky, falls utterly short in having only 2 doser heads, and is way too expensive.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2019, 11:33 AM   #22
Johnic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
The basic Apex (classic) controller is pretty solid - aside from the fact that it isn't suitable for being operated near a reef tank due to the fact they built it with the cheapest connectors you can find instead of using splash water proof marine grade connectors and a watertight housing.
But all the stuff they took from other companies and fitted with an Apex interface are extremely failure prone.
I had a lot of trouble with their auto-feeder and the WAV pumps died right after the warranty ran out.
And their DOS pump is just an abomination. It's designed as a water change system and such it may work, but as a dosing pump it's just too bulky, falls utterly short in having only 2 doser heads, and is way too expensive.

Got it.
Did you buy the mindstream device ?

Unread 09/02/2019, 11:46 AM   #23
ohashimz
Registered Member

Quote:

This is very true. I loved my apex classic. Once they started getting in to wrapping chinese products with their plastic and sell it. Their quality went way down. Unfortunate..

Unread 09/02/2019, 01:49 PM   #24
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
This is very true. I loved my apex classic. Once they started getting in to wrapping chinese products with their plastic and sell it. Their quality went way down. Unfortunate..
Neptune got greedy and started meddle in the businesses of pump, lights, etc... manufacturers and as a result many of those companies withdrew their support for the Apex controller and rather went with proprietary solutions that are incompatible with the Apex system.
So we're pretty much back to where everything started.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2019, 02:02 PM   #25
ohashimz
Registered Member

Quote:
Neptune got greedy and started meddle in the businesses of pump, lights, etc... manufacturers and as a result many of those companies withdrew their support for the Apex controller and rather went with proprietary solutions that are incompatible with the Apex system.
So we're pretty much back to where everything started.

True words.
I now controll most of my equipment with the vendor native apps. Which to me was even better for future proofing my system.
Its unfortunate but what you described is the reality. You cannot expect customer loyalties to be stronger than the product reliability and performance...