Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/18/2018, 04:52 AM   #876
homer1475
Registered Member

Who cares what your house looks like......

I'm coming to visit the tank not the house.

And yes I'm crazy for driving 7 hours to meet you. It sounds nuts, but seeing as I have to basically go right by your house to go home from vaca, it's a no brainer for me.

My thinking is I'll spend the day with you and the LFS, buy lots of stuff and have the LFS hold them overnight(pretty sure if I asked they will), spend the night in a motel somewhere around you, pick up stuff in the morning when they open(assuming they open around noon as most LFS's do), drive home.

Easy peasy.....

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 05:46 AM   #877
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Too bad you're not both further east. Long island reef club is having their frag swap this weekend.

What LFS stuff are you on the lookout for? Just SPS? Maybe if some of the stores have a bristletooth tang who has been in copper for a while and is still eating you could grab one.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 07:17 AM   #878
soulpatch
Registered Member

Reef you should drive down into Jersey to TSM corals. They have a ton of fish and ALL fish are put through a 6 week QT process before they ever hit the store tanks. You can ask to see the QT procedure as well.

Homer my local store opens around 10 on Saturday.

As for hotel you will want to stay in Exton. I have a fellow reefing buddy who manages the new hotel up there so let me see what I can do for ya!!! He also runs his own store out of his house so you can look on frags2fishes.com to see what all he has and he will deliver. He is about 45 minutes from my house so we could head up there as well as my normal guy. Look up aquarium specialties on FB to see his daily pics of what he has in.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 07:23 AM   #879
homer1475
Registered Member

Sounds good Soul. Just give an address to put in my GPS. Was going to stay up near Lancaster, but if 5his is closer I'm game.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Unread 04/18/2018, 07:27 AM   #880
soulpatch
Registered Member

Lancaster would be around 30 minutes or so the opposite direction for you unless you wanted to hit up the shops that way in the morning on your way home.

Are you interested in the small BAO transports? My buddy sells them and has a couple if you wanted 1 or 2. I have 1 and LOVE it especially to go to swaps.

The place by me would be hilton garden inn in Exton. There are others in Exton as well should you chose to stay there but the hilton garden is new and nice.

Unread 04/18/2018, 03:11 PM   #881
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I'll definitely have to check out TSM. Prices are a little higher than normal, but worth if if the fish are good to go straight to the tank.

Be sure to keep us posted on the damage done this weekend Homer!

Unread 04/19/2018, 03:40 AM   #882
homer1475
Registered Member

BAO transports?

If it's what I just looked up, 65$ for a basically a little locking cooler. Great Idea but a little rich for my blood.

My wife thinks we should stay in lancaster. While that motel does look nice 150$ a night isn't. lol I'm a cheapskate, anything over 100$ a night is too much in my mind. All I'm doing is taking a shower and sleeping. Heck a cot in a closet would be good for me.

I will definitely post up what I find. Very excited to see an actual LFS that has actual corals!

Took a ride down here in NC yesterday as it was a little cool to be on the beach. Found 3 LFS's. 2 were more like puppy mills with fish tanks, but 1 was an actual LFS. Huge place with many tanks of fish and corals. While they pretty much specialized in FW they certainly had the SW part down too. Right when you walked in the door they had a 200 full of 3 corals, octospawn, hammer, and torch. These things were massive!! Those 3 corals filled that tank. Only fish was a maroon clown the size of my hand. They had many 125's filled to the brim with frags(softies, lps, and plenty of SPS). They had 4 rows of tanks stacked 4 long and 3 high as "fish" tanks. Many fish I have never seen and only read about.

Apparently sea horses are a thing down here as everyone had them for sale. Of course my wife now thinks she needs a seahorse tank.

Hey soul my wife brought up a good point..... I have no idea what your real name is, and I'm pretty sure I've never told you mine. lmao Makes for an awkward meeting....

"Hi I'm Soulpatch." "hey I'm homer1475". Makes for slightly awkward first impressions.

Unread 04/19/2018, 07:31 AM   #883
soulpatch
Registered Member

Its Andy but I guarentee you I will likely greet you as Soulpatch

Unread 04/19/2018, 10:59 AM   #884
intenseimage
Registered Member

Sounds like I need to take a trip south of the Lehigh Valley to visit some of these stores you guys are talking about. (fwiw, i live just a few blocks away from Something Fishy)

intenseimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2018, 11:29 AM   #885
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by intenseimage View Post
Sounds like I need to take a trip south of the Lehigh Valley to visit some of these stores you guys are talking about. (fwiw, i live just a few blocks away from Something Fishy)
You should join the Southeastern PA saltwater reef aquarium classified and discussions group on Facebook

And yes Mini reef in Philly, ASR in Frazier, Frags 2 Fishies in Landenburg, coral reef connection in Reading. Lots of great smaller shops around

Unread 04/19/2018, 11:31 AM   #886
intenseimage
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
You should join the Southeastern PA saltwater reef aquarium classified and discussions group on Facebook

And yes Mini reef in Philly, ASR in Frazier, Frags 2 Fishies in Landenburg, coral reef connection in Reading. Lots of great smaller shops around
Just sent the join request

One day when we dont have a match to go to (we competitive shoot) we will head down that way to hit some shops

intenseimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2018, 11:35 AM   #887
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by intenseimage View Post
Just sent the join request

One day when we dont have a match to go to (we competitive shoot) we will head down that way to hit some shops
Likely a local BBQ or 2 for that FB group again this year which is a great way to meet some others and swap corals.

There are 2 BIG SPS guys up your way in the lehigh valley though. I go up there once a year or so to hit up their houses and pick up a few pieces.

Trying to save my pennies for a homewrecker, JF Jolt, and a few others at the moment.

Homer might get sent home with some mini colonies just so I can claim to the wife I need corals to fill in open spots.....

Unread 04/19/2018, 11:54 PM   #888
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
Its Andy but I guarentee you I will likely greet you as Soulpatch
Lol ghe funny part, my nickname as a kid is homey(everyone calls me homey), it just stuck, and even my wife calls me homey. My real name of course is Steve, but most people don't even know my real name and just call me homey.

Unread 04/21/2018, 07:23 AM   #889
soulpatch
Registered Member

Well homer has some more coral to fill in his tank. It will be interesting to see the scan we split how it colors differently. Sending him home with a ssc, deep water teal tip acro, and a chunk of purple stylo si he can get going in sps till he is comfy getting some higher end pieces

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Unread 04/21/2018, 08:22 AM   #890
homer1475
Registered Member

Unfortunately for Soul, I just took the corals out of the bags, and his LFS did not split that acan. sorry man.

Ok in his LFS's defense, he did bag them up pretty quick, and I'll explain why.......

So my wife and I met up with Soul, he let me pick what to cut up for me(again very awesome of you and I cannot thank you enough!), we went to his LFS and shot the sh*t for a while we we browsed(great LFS and owner BTW). Soul found a very nice acan that had quite a few heads on it, we both liked it so I bought it and for being such a nice guy we decided to split it up and he would take a few heads and I would take a few. Well we payed for the coral(found a nice gold hammer as well) and his LFS said he would hold mine till morning. Well we left, said our goodbyes, and then wife and I set out for dinner and a room for the night. Dinner was good and then decided to find a room for the night. I have no idea whats going on in PA, but I could not find a room anywhere close by(even an hour drive there was nothing to be had for the night). So about 7:30pm I called up his LFS(I had thought I saw 8pm for a close time for him), and gave him my story. He said he could meet me there in a few and I could pick up my coral so I could drive home. By this time is was 8pm and his LFS was already closed(again props to this guy for helping me out). Got home about 3am and just dumped the bags and all in the tank(left coral in bags for dipping and whatnot in the AM), and went to bed(24 hours without sleep sucks!).

Just got up this morning and was going through my dip procedure when I noticed the acan was not cut up.

Think what I will do is take this acan to my LFS , have him cut off a couple heads and overnight them to Soul. Might take a couple weeks until I can get out there, but I will make it happen.

Soul, I got three frags from you. I'm pretty sure I know which is the deepwater tteal tip acrs, and the stylo is, but what does SSC stand for?

FWIW, you got to give your LFS a big thumbs up for me. Not only did he meet me an hour after he was closed, but I love the way he bagged those corals! Place the frag plug on a small piece of Styrofoam so the frag doesn't bounce around in the bag! Awesome idea and the only time I have ever seen an LFS bag frags like that.

As soon as everything is done being p*ssed off, I'll post up a couple pics.

Unread 04/21/2018, 08:30 AM   #891
soulpatch
Registered Member

Strawberry shortcake is ssc

Unread 04/21/2018, 08:31 AM   #892
homer1475
Registered Member

it just popped into my head as I hit "reply". Again thank you very much!

Unread 04/21/2018, 08:47 AM   #893
homer1475
Registered Member

OOh forgot to mention.....

Andy's tank is awesome! With one major problem, when he says he has an aiptasia problem, he's way underestimating it! The one back corner of his tank looks like he's propagating it for sale. Found it funny the file fish he has, hides until it's time for food. He's certainly not doing his intended job. lol

Unread 04/21/2018, 08:52 AM   #894
soulpatch
Registered Member

It's not way underestimating. Lol. If it was it would be all 9ver my sps and such. Its kept at bay but an issue.

Problem is I cant bday it back right now due to the berghia in there so you saw it worse it has been

Unread 04/21/2018, 12:38 PM   #895
homer1475
Registered Member

Pics as promised..... Lets see if I can get these right!

Deepwater teal tipped acro. This had fallen off the plug and was bouncing around the bottom of the bag all night. Might take a while to acclimate. Does this extend polyps? Seems to be pooping some zoox though. perhaps needs to be lower in lighting considering its a deepwater acro?

SSC Does this extend polyps like my green slimer? Can you tell I know nothing about SPS other then like any other coral stable parameters, high flow, and high light. lol

Obviously the green slimer. Just on the frag rack and it's doing wonderfully so I thought I would snap a pic.

Purple stylo. Seems to have adjusted well.

This is the acan we were supposed to split.

And last but not least..... Aussie gold hammer.

Last edited by homer1475; 04/21/2018 at 12:46 PM.
Unread 04/21/2018, 12:51 PM   #896
soulpatch
Registered Member

Ssc has small polyps but the teal tip acro does not

Unread 04/21/2018, 07:54 PM   #897
soulpatch
Registered Member

Should also note if those sps work well for ya I can overnight some more things your way.

If the acan lasts and keeps color then I can have some others to ya as well. I have a few I'm going to have cut once I get into the tank

Unread 04/22/2018, 01:38 AM   #898
homer1475
Registered Member

The acan can only be cut by a bandsaw correct? Man I wish I had an LFS that wasn't a 2 hour drive......

But again as you like to point out to me, "I chose to live here!"

Unread 04/22/2018, 03:38 AM   #899
homer1475
Registered Member

Update.....

Got up early this morning to feed the tank. Took a flashlight to see who's got feeders out this morning.

low and behold, the SSC has some but not many yet)really think this might have gotten shocked pretty decent from rolling around in the bag), but the deep water acro has a ton of them out. Damn near looks like the stylo with all the polyps out! All seem to be super happy ATM. Hopefully I can keep them that way.

They really seem to like the reef chili. But as we were talking about coral foods on friday, might just be an "extra" something in it to provoke a feeding response compared to other coral foods.

Unread 04/23/2018, 03:07 PM   #900
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Since you're new(ish) to SPS, here are a few of my thoughts on Polyp Extension (PE).

1. Not all acros have it, and it isn't necessarily a sign of good health.
2. A healthy acro gets PE at NIGHT when the lights are OFF and you aren't looking
3. If you were going to feed SPS directly, I would feed them at night

You're more of an LPS guy, so you probably have a better idea of how to train corals to have their polyps out at feeding time than I do, so maybe with reef chili you can entice SPS to have their polyps out more than I can.

I'm hoping to do reefchili and reefroids. The tank I tank-sit a few times a year he's feeding those two, and every 2 days in a pretty hefty quantity, and his tank grows like heck and the colors are great (though he also is meticulous with maintenance, and has had automatic dosing, etc for that whole time, so it's unlikely to be just his feeding).

It might be an interesting experiment for you to see if you can train your SPS to react to foods like LPS do.

Corals look great man, hope you guys had fun.

Next time, come over to NYC now that I have a place to put you. We can hit up some cool stores, or just schedule some visits to people with insane frag tanks (there are a lot of reefers with nicer and larger frag tanks than most stores within 15-30 minutes of me). Same applies for Soul if he's interested. Wives can go shopping in the city, or take the afternoon and enjoy Greektown where I live. Or my wife likes seeing the other setups too, so that's of course an option as well.

Also Homer, someone on Manhattan Reefs site was selling a Nyos 120, worth taking a look. I could buy for you and hold it.