Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/20/2012, 07:25 PM   #451
jayinh
Registered Member

i had an email a couple days ago from him, my drivers are giving me problems. some blinking issue with both drivers.

Current Tank Info: 60 CUBE, GEN1 RADION, AUTO WATER CHANGE BUILDER AT LARGE!
jayinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2012, 09:56 PM   #452
jwoyshnar
Registered Member

This is the first time I've had an issue reaching him since dealing with him for the past 8 months

jwoyshnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2012, 10:18 PM   #453
dgodwin
Registered Member

I gave up on ordering from them and went another direction.

Unread 02/21/2012, 07:10 AM   #454
thomashenig
Registered Member

I should receive my order this week it shipped within 5 days of being placed and my emails to Ray have always been answered the next day.

thomashenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2012, 07:45 AM   #455
Honks69
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemosworld View Post
I would start with 2 of these-Aquarium 24 LEDs DIY Dimmable Kit with the 15 inch heatsinks which will leave you with 6 inches on each side.

or go with a 72 led kit and order 5 4ft channels from speedy metals
http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-2531-...-extruded.aspx

why 72 over 48 like stated above? since you are using channels, you are going to need a little more to get good coverage and intensity. with heatsinks, the leds are closer together and pack a good punch.

if you go with the 2 x 24 and you feel you need more light for coverage, you will have to get a smaller heatsink to fill the gap, but i doubt you will have too.

for good spread try hanging the leds at diff heights. as for the drivers, you can stick with the maxwellens or upgrade to meanwells, but those will require more work in terms of wiring up.

***side note*** if you order a kit with heatsinks, ray at aquastyle will assemble the kit for you for a small fee -$10 is the last quote i got, not sure if it went up*****
I have the same 90 gallon tank and am not sure which of these two options will work best. Also I plan to upgrade to a 180 gallon long (72" long x 24" wide x 24" high) in the next 6-12 months so which of these two would be the better option to move to the new tank once i upgrade. I am thinking i should just do the 2 sets of 24 with heatsinks and then I can add another 1-2 of the same setups to the 180 but i was not sure.

Thanks in advance!

Honks69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2012, 07:53 AM   #456
kuro
Registered Member

Ray didn't reply to any of my emails until i made an order yesterday and he reply in like few hrs. I think he is swamp by all the questions and i think he taking priority on people who already made orders and want to customize it.

kuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2012, 07:56 AM   #457
jwoyshnar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgodwin View Post
I gave up on ordering from them and went another direction.
What was your other direction?

Unread 02/21/2012, 08:16 AM   #458
want2reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuro View Post
Ray didn't reply to any of my emails until i made an order yesterday and he reply in like few hrs. I think he is swamp by all the questions and i think he taking priority on people who already made orders and want to customize it.
Same thing here.

I got my setup yesterday, took about a week from order to front door.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Current Tank Info: CADlights Artison II 165g, 50g sump,Aquamaxx Q-3 Skimmer, AI Hydra 26 HD.
want2reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2012, 09:20 AM   #459
jubjub47
Registered Member

He might find he would receive more orders from those with questions as well if he would just answer all emails. I refuse to order until he answers my questions that I have emailed 4 times over the past 3 weeks. Very poor customer service if you ask me and I was a returning pleased customer from my last transaction.

jubjub47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2012, 10:59 AM   #460
jwoyshnar
Registered Member

I don't want the customary kits they have listed. I ordered my last two sets through him. I can't order what I want through the web site.

Unread 02/21/2012, 11:58 AM   #461
kuro
Registered Member

i order the 24 led kits and just customize the led for myself with the little box comment at the end of the check out. i went with 8RB, 2NB, 4 45k, 4 10k, 4 420 true violet.

Unread 02/21/2012, 12:09 PM   #462
BlueChip
Registered Member

KURO -- what size tank?

BlueChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2012, 01:04 PM   #463
kuro
Registered Member

it for my 8g nano which im going to dim down like crazy then still used the light when i decide to upgrade to 20-30g cube.

Unread 02/22/2012, 07:05 PM   #464
want2reef
Registered Member

I just finished my setup.

Compared to my 1.5 year old Phoenix bulb and my 120w chinese LED "black box".

It is way brighter, and my corals have more POP to them.

Now I am hoping that my corals will grow like they did under the MH's.

Current Tank Info: CADlights Artison II 165g, 50g sump,Aquamaxx Q-3 Skimmer, AI Hydra 26 HD.
Unread 02/22/2012, 07:52 PM   #465
nemosworld
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2reef View Post
I just finished my setup.

Compared to my 1.5 year old Phoenix bulb and my 120w chinese LED "black box".

It is way brighter, and my corals have more POP to them.

Now I am hoping that my corals will grow like they did under the MH's.
pics? please!

Current Tank Info: 60 Gallon Cube
nemosworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2012, 08:35 AM   #466
want2reef
Registered Member

Will do this weekend.

Unread 02/24/2012, 07:08 AM   #467
symon_say
Registered Member

Dread how is the controller, have you made any new thing?

ICH is overrated...

Current Tank Info: Designing a 200G
symon_say is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2012, 08:49 AM   #468
dread240
Registered Member

Unfortunately no.. I have the circuit all planned out and materials here. Just been really busy trying to get stuff done before i leave for Minneapolis. I've also been checking with the staff on if its ok for me to order pcbs and sell them on here without being a vendor

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon mixed reef tank
dread240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2012, 11:17 AM   #469
bmullikin1
Registered Member

Question, just put together a aquastyle kit for a friend, he used their drivers and pots, when powered are the pots supposed to dim the leds to 0, or do they just hit a minimal dimness. My leds use meanwell drivers that operate on 0-10v so they go completely off when at 0volts. thANKS

bmullikin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2012, 12:33 PM   #470
nemosworld
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmullikin1 View Post
Question, just put together a aquastyle kit for a friend, he used their drivers and pots, when powered are the pots supposed to dim the leds to 0, or do they just hit a minimal dimness. My leds use meanwell drivers that operate on 0-10v so they go completely off when at 0volts. thANKS
they do not dimm to 0 unfortunately, and can not be controlled by a controller yet. (work in progress)

Unread 02/24/2012, 07:34 PM   #471
ironman187
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dread240 View Post
Unfortunately no.. I have the circuit all planned out and materials here. Just been really busy trying to get stuff done before i leave for Minneapolis. I've also been checking with the staff on if its ok for me to order pcbs and sell them on here without being a vendor
Do a "group buy" sort of thing and perhaps tack on a small surcharcharge for handling all the orders.

ironman187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2012, 07:50 PM   #472
dread240
Registered Member

Heh, intention isn't to make money, just to make it easier on the others. I see group buys on here quite a bit so I'm guessing they're ok, just have to pay the additional shipping from me to the person :-P

As for when I'll have the schematics and everything online, probably 2nd week in march. I know the wait sucks, I just can't get around to that before hand, as I've been buried finishing projects up before leaving, don't feel like going through TSA with a bunch of home made electronics and flying them across the country, and I absolutely know I'll have some headaches to deal with once I get back too :-\

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon mixed reef tank
dread240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2012, 07:53 PM   #473
ironman187
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dread240 View Post
Heh, intention isn't to make money, just to make it easier on the others. I see group buys on here quite a bit so I'm guessing they're ok, just have to pay the additional shipping from me to the person :-P

As for when I'll have the schematics and everything online, probably 2nd week in march. I know the wait sucks, I just can't get around to that before hand, as I've been buried finishing projects up before leaving, don't feel like going through TSA with a bunch of home made electronics and flying them across the country, and I absolutely know I'll have some headaches to deal with once I get back too :-\
I did that once back when I was in college a few years ago, I packed a 15 pound battle-bot with three sets of li/poly batteries, a power supply, li/poly chargers, wires connectors, speed controllers, radio, tools, extra chassis, extra drive motors, gearboxes, wheels, spinning blades of death, and various other parts into a regular sized suitcase and ran it as checked luggage. It went through without a hitch surprisingly, I mean, it could have looked like a bomb or something lol.

Anyway, I would think if you handled it as a group buy for the PCB manufacturer with people paying for individual shipping, there would be no issues. You are not making any money, and not competing with any venders on here.

ironman187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2012, 12:33 PM   #474
nemosworld
Registered Member

I have now decided that i am going to replace their drivers with these:
I don't need dimming, but this will reduce the amount of drivers i have on my rig, meanwell LPF-90d-48 since i have 72 leds from these guys, i will only need two drivers vs 4, 3 strings of 12 per driver.

Anyone reading this thread and have a huge tank and are seriously thinking of these, keep in mind that if your tank is taller than 24 inches, you will need to keep the fixture close to the water surface and it would be better to keep the leds closer together to increase par. my original thought of 72 on my tank is just not enough, to cover the entire tank and get good par.

rather than keep adding more bridgelux, i went with some xpg cool white(6)
xpg NW (6) and xml cool white (6), so far i have no optics on the xml's and they are running at 1750 ma, the xp's are at 1000ma, i think i will add 10 more xml's and i'm done.

again this is only for larger reefs, regular systems, nano's, breeders, 100-120 gallon systems will be just fine. if i had to order only bridgelux on my tank, i would have gone with 2x120 led kits. i believe this would have done the job well.

Unread 02/27/2012, 06:30 PM   #475
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Ok im about to order my kit thru Aquastyle and i want to know if there is a driver that is dimmable either with a potentiometer or a digital controller (apex for example). As of right now i do not have an Apex but i know its in my future. Aquastyle has this driver: MeanWell LPF-90D-48. does anyone know what the diff is between that one and the more common:MeanWell ELN-60-48D?? i know u can use a potenitometer with the ELN drivers but it has to have a 12v power source..so ill prolly just end up going that route...BUT it would be cheaper and more convenient for me if i could just use the reg potentiometers for now until i get my apex...anyone have any idea about this?? this is the info from the MeanWell LPF-90D-48:

Built-in 3 in 1 dimming function (1~10Vdc or PWM signal or resistance)
***(this is the part that confuses me, what does this mean? it sounds to me like it can be dimmed with either a reg potentiometer or a vdm??? idk im just guessing)***

Input Voltage: 110-240V AC

Output Voltage: 28.8-48V DC

Output Current: 1.88A

Rated Power: 90W

Waterproof IP67

Dimension: 161*61*36mm (L*W*H) (5.8"x1.6"x1.2")

Specification: LPF-90D-48

also The user Dreads240 is he building something that will dimm the maxwellen drivers via a controller? (arduino) is it something he will be selling? im kinda confused by that past few posts..but thats what it seems like... that would be awesome and save me alot of $$ buying the meanwell drivers...any help would be greatly appreciated!

SchnitzelReef is offline   Reply With Quote