Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/14/2019, 11:08 AM   #6051
twon8
Formally registered membe

Please ignore the algae, just got two rabbit fish to help tackle it. Had a crash last year from a heater blow up and it killed most fish and corals. But I’m getting it back to it’s former glory. Had this Red Sea regal for about three weeks and he’s getting more confident. Still only picking at food but plenty of live rock to keep him happy for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not building a wall but making a brick

Current Tank Info: 300g DD display, 60g frag tank
twon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2019, 12:16 PM   #6052
pfan151
Registered Member

Looks nice and fat. I’m sure it appreciates the algae.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2019, 11:14 AM   #6053
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaka View Post
I previously had a Yellow Belly Regal ( probably Maldives) for 6 years and I'm thinking of getting another one. I am considering a juvenile this time.

Is everybody having success with their juveniles or do most try a smaller adult or subadult?
In my experience, juveniles, if healthy, generally do better than adults. And they grow really fast. I actually think that all those 3 to 4 inch subadults you see in stores are no older than a year.
Subadults, those who still have at least some remanants of the eyespot left, shouldn't do too much trouble either.
It's really the larger adults who often have difficulties adapting to tank life and the food you can offer them.
3 of the 4 Regals I have I got as juveniles. One of them, the Maldives one, I got as a barely post-larva baby, less than 2 inches, and he caused the least trouble getting him to eat. From day one he was eating like a pig and doubled his length within 6 months.

My Bali Regal was just 3 inches when I got him and eating like a pig since day one. He turned out to be the most aggressive of all my Regals and had no issues going against a larger damsel or putting my rowdy Neon Dottyback (a fully grown male!) in his place. It also seems that he is somewhat a hybrid between the yellow and blue subspecies.

My Philippine Regal was at the edge of starving to death when I got him and his buddy (that one I had to part ways with due to space constraints). They were both large juveniles with still complete eyespots and eating, but slowly and had not been fed enough at the store so that they had already developed knife-backs. Now he is a fat pig and eats as if there is no tomorrow. Coloration-wise he is as impressive as any yellow belly, if not even more with his blue chest.

My Sumatra Regal was just at the end of transition, and he caused initially the most trouble getting him to eat enough. He is still the most sensitive.

All of them are now eating well and actually love flake food. Generally they eat nearly everything.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2019, 12:38 AM   #6054
Western_reefer
Reef keeper

My 5" Misbar RedSea Regal Angelfish Doesn't touch a single coral and eats pellets, flakes, frozen, nori, etc

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190512_215112(1).jpg (96.6 KB, 61 views)

Food comes with it's own flavor. Anything that has to steal flavor from other food just so it can have flavor is not a food. That is

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon Mixed Reef, mostly SPS dominated

Last edited by Western_reefer; 05/13/2019 at 12:48 AM.
Western_reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2019, 01:31 PM   #6055
carrots
Registered Member

Congrats and continued good luck.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2019, 08:07 PM   #6056
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
In my experience, juveniles, if healthy, generally do better than adults. And they grow really fast. I actually think that all those 3 to 4 inch subadults you see in stores are no older than a year.
Unlike ThRoewer, I find that my Regal angel grow very slow. They are in my community 320 gal tank. Very healthy and very fat.

The fish below is one of the two baby Regal angels in my tank. One year ago, they were about the same size as small Flame angels I got from Live Aquaria. The Flame Angels outgrew them quickly initially but they are slowly catching up. At this time they are about 2.5 inches, just larger than my male Flame angel by about 1/4 inch.
About 1 year ago 5/2018

in 3/2019

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RegalAngel2018051303Larger.jpg (48.8 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg RegalAngel2019032601resized.jpg (50.2 KB, 122 views)

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2019, 03:35 AM   #6057
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I had my Maldives Regal baby in a 40B and it doubled in length within about 6 months. From that point on its growth slowed. By now, 3 years after I got him, he almost finished transitioning to an adult.
I moved him to my 100 gallon tank now after my last Sumatra Regal died.
When they become available again I plan to get another Maldives juvenile.

My largest and with nearly 4 years my oldest Regal is by now the Philippines Regal. And he is also the most impressive in coloration, being almost completely blue.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...

Last edited by ThRoewer; 05/15/2019 at 03:41 AM.
Unread 05/15/2019, 11:24 AM   #6058
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
I had my Maldives Regal baby in a 40B and it doubled in length within about 6 months. From that point on its growth slowed. By now, 3 years after I got him, he almost finished transitioning to an adult.
I moved him to my 100 gallon tank now after my last Sumatra Regal died.
When they become available again I plan to get another Maldives juvenile.

My largest and with nearly 4 years my oldest Regal is by now the Philippines Regal. And he is also the most impressive in coloration, being almost completely blue.
What no pictures?

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2019, 11:53 AM   #6059
OrionN
Moved on

Regal Angel coloration, all started with yellow chest. They have their blue coloration come in with age. Red Sea and Indian Ocean Regal coloration stays yellow because color development was arrested. Blue coloration did not increase while Regal in the Pacific the fish get darker with blue. Not only the chest but the blue and black strips are darker and wider, at the expense of the yellow bands, resulting in a much darker fish.
I do find that the Blue chest Regal are very attractive, but certainly different then the Indian Ocean and Red Sea.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BluChestRegal4.jpg (58.7 KB, 141 views)

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 05/15/2019, 05:30 PM   #6060
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
What no pictures?
My tanks are a mess right now.
Also, the Regals in question don't like to pose for pictures

Unread 05/15/2019, 05:32 PM   #6061
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Is that the Philippines Regal you got from me?

Unread 05/15/2019, 06:01 PM   #6062
OrionN
Moved on

No. I got this one As a tiny baby

Unread 07/09/2019, 10:09 PM   #6063
jstraub4
Registered Member

Do you have any suggestions for the quarantine setup? TTM, start with copper, or just the tank and add medications later?
I have a 20 gallon breeder and a 10 gallon running for quarantine. Ready to purchase a Regal, but very confused about the quarantine for it.

jstraub4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2019, 11:27 PM   #6064
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstraub4 View Post
Do you have any suggestions for the quarantine setup? TTM, start with copper, or just the tank and add medications later?
I have a 20 gallon breeder and a 10 gallon running for quarantine. Ready to purchase a Regal, but very confused about the quarantine for it.
I would not treat a Regal Angel prophylactically, definitely not before it is eating. The most I would do is a formalin bath upon arrival.

Best is to set up a tank with hiding places and a good amount of Caulerpa and other algae. All my Regals love Caulerpa.

I would also strongly suggest to stay clear of any Regal above 3". The smaller the better. It definitely should still have the eyespot in the soft dorsal fin. I had never any long term success with adults but all the juveniles I got are still doing fine.

Unread 07/10/2019, 09:17 AM   #6065
jstraub4
Registered Member

Quote:
I would not treat a Regal Angel prophylactically, definitely not before it is eating. The most I would do is a formalin bath upon arrival.

Best is to set up a tank with hiding places and a good amount of Caulerpa and other algae. All my Regals love Caulerpa.

I would also strongly suggest to stay clear of any Regal above 3". The smaller the better. It definitely should still have the eyespot in the soft dorsal fin. I had never any long term success with adults but all the juveniles I got are still doing fine.

Thank you very much for the help. Are there any particular foods you have found the most success with the Regals, besides Caulerpa?

Unread 07/10/2019, 12:43 PM   #6066
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you very much for the help. Are there any particular foods you have found the most success with the Regals, besides Caulerpa?
Clams in the shell may work as well with larger ones. Small ones (below 2") should still go after plankton.
The 3 I have right now are all quite fond of flakes and various kinds of frozen foods. And the Maldives one I got as a 1-3/4" baby, now close to 4", still picks pods from the rocks.

I would really advise you to wait for a small one, even if it takes a good while. Especially the juveniles from the Maldives are close to bulletproof.

Unread 07/10/2019, 01:31 PM   #6067
jstraub4
Registered Member

Are the Regals from Sumatra as good as the ones from the Maldives?

Unread 07/10/2019, 01:44 PM   #6068
roberthu526
Registered Member

Quote:

My own experience is the locations the fish are collected don’t matter. It’s the collecting methods and the way the fish is shipped that matters. Most of the regal angels I bought from liveaquaria ate with in the first day of arrival.

roberthu526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2019, 02:37 PM   #6069
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthu526 View Post
My own experience is the locations the fish are collected don’t matter. It’s the collecting methods and the way the fish is shipped that matters. ...
I would agree.
But cyanide fishing is still done in Indonesia, so certain fish from there are always a bit of a gamble. The Philippines have actually vastly improved in that regard after the government enforced the cyanide fishing prohibition and went after those who used it for fishing.

From what I have seen so far LiveAquaria (Quality Marine) gets the bulk of their yellow belly regals from the Maldives and that is also the only location that supplies small juveniles reliably when in season. And those would always be my preference.
I've seen super tiny ones from the Philippines, but don't know how good they are in acclimatization.

Unread 07/10/2019, 07:32 PM   #6070
pfan151
Registered Member

Picked up this tiny one last week. It’s just under an inch long. Came in pretty thin. Started off mainly just pecking at stuff but it ate clam and mussel decently well today for the first time. I’m hoping it will keep improving on eating and put some weight on but I’m not totally optimistic it will recover. I’ve got some live rock and macro algae in the cycled 55gal qt so I’m hoping he’s eating pods as well. Sorry for the terrible pics. I don’t bother cleaning the glass in the qt

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2019, 08:01 PM   #6071
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Picked up this tiny one last week. It’s just under an inch long. Came in pretty thin. Started off mainly just pecking at stuff but it ate clam and mussel decently well today for the first time. I’m hoping it will keep improving on eating and put some weight on but I’m not totally optimistic it will recover. I’ve got some live rock and macro algae in the cycled 55gal qt so I’m hoping he’s eating pods as well. Sorry for the terrible pics. I don’t bother cleaning the glass in the

Hope he will do well for you. Good luck.

Unread 07/10/2019, 08:51 PM   #6072
roberthu526
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Picked up this tiny one last week. It’s just under an inch long. Came in pretty thin. Started off mainly just pecking at stuff but it ate clam and mussel decently well today for the first time. I’m hoping it will keep improving on eating and put some weight on but I’m not totally optimistic it will recover. I’ve got some live rock and macro algae in the cycled 55gal qt so I’m hoping he’s eating pods as well. Sorry for the terrible pics. I don’t bother cleaning the glass in the qt

Be prepared to baby him for at least six months or so. Small ones like this can be an easy target with other bigger fish. Also I would treat the QT just like a display tank with SPS. Water quality is key.

roberthu526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2019, 08:58 PM   #6073
OrionN
Moved on

I got a baby Regal too (not now but about 2 years ago) He did great.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BabyRegal2016051203.jpg (46.3 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg BabyRegal2016051201.jpg (33.1 KB, 77 views)

Unread 07/11/2019, 02:10 PM   #6074
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
I do not believe they are yellow belly? The blue face angels are great from Sumatra, not sure about regals

Unread 07/11/2019, 02:12 PM   #6075
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
Mysis, Spiralina Brine, and of course LRS.
I do have to ask if you are the person you snagged the juvenile from DD last evening?