Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/05/2014, 12:14 AM   #26
therman
biodiversity enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Yeah, my last rimless tank was 36x36x18 and it was awesome. I just went with a shallower tank this time around as I wanted maximum light penetration. How are your led's doing? Here's a pic of my acrylic mesh top. I had PicoAquariums custom make it for me and it came out nice.
My LEDs are good. I've got 4 fixtures I built running now, anywhere from 44 to 156 Crees. With 25 degree optics I can grow acros on the floor underneath the bare bottom tank

That is a slick lid. I will admit it looks better than my window screen frame.

Current Tank Info: 65g mixed display 100g rubbermaid sump/prop tank, 20g refugium, 100g half cube rimless acro display, 3x 100-180g prop tanks. All powered by LED.
therman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2014, 12:58 AM   #27
A. Grandis
Registered Member

Those chats on mIRC were great!! I've learned so much!!! Dial tone internet!!
I remember the best paper magazine ever: Aquarium Frontiers!!!!!!
I also liked Marine Fish Monthly and FAMA!
Another very good product was those AquaC skimmers!!
I've got one to run on my 125gal. to come!!
The books were so informative and full of scientific info.
Meetings were more serious, but fun at the same time.
The learning process was incredible towards the chemistry and biology aspects of the hobby.
There was less showing offs and more friendship/sharing info and organisms back then.
It seemed that everyone was heading towards a goal as one, to keep the corals at best.
The business was alive but at the same time there were no abusive/ ridiculous prices.
If there was any hard to find coral, the natural tendency was to spread frags to friends (for free!!!) so that species would be safe if something would happen to that tank.
There were not many frag tanks. The displays were full of colonies and some frags donated by friends to become colonies soon!!

Good wonderful magic times!!!

More pics please!

Grandis.

Try HOT5s!
A. Grandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2014, 07:25 AM   #28
Carlos
Premium Member

Holy Crap, Sang is back!!! This means he will use stuff for 6 months and then I can buy it off of him cheap!!!!

"Only a fool wants to hear the echo of his own voice."
"What do you want for nothing? rrrrrrubber biscuit?"

Current Tank Info: Custom 210 gal Reef Octopus Tank with SlimFlow overflow, IceCap 36XL Sump, Reef Octopus ELITE 200INT Skimmer, 2-Part Dosing, 3 x Giesemann VerVve, KH Guardian Alk Controller, ClariSea Roller Filter
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2014, 09:05 AM   #29
ganjero
saiperchémibatteilcorazon

Awesome tank, love the looks of a mature (nutrient rich, most likely this one) reef tank much better than the barebottom ULNS (not that there is anything wrong with those)

Three MJ 1200 with a Red Sea Wavemaster Pro for better circulation. That would never work in today's standards

ganjero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2014, 12:21 PM   #30
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Wow, what a nostalgic thread, love it! I'm very happy therman's TOTM listing was found as well, as I too was told that everything prior to 2/2002 was lost.

Had no idea Tracy Gray had a store in California as well...

I've looked at his TOTM posting about as much as I did therman's when I could still access it:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...totm/index.php

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2014, 12:32 PM   #31
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Some more awesome pictures of TOTM back then....

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2014, 02:26 PM   #32
Maximus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
Holy Crap, Sang is back!!! This means he will use stuff for 6 months and then I can buy it off of him cheap!!!!
LMAO! My reputation follows me everywhere!! What's up Los!! I haven't seen you in a looooong time, bud!

Current Tank Info: 36x36x16 A.G.E. tank. Lighting: ATI Straton. Circulation: 2x Vortech MP40wQd's. Skimmer: Red Sea 300. Controller: Neptune Apex. Doser: Neptune Dos.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2014, 02:27 PM   #33
Maximus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy B. View Post
Wow, what a nostalgic thread, love it! I'm very happy therman's TOTM listing was found as well, as I too was told that everything prior to 2/2002 was lost.

Had no idea Tracy Gray had a store in California as well...

I've looked at his TOTM posting about as much as I did therman's when I could still access it:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...totm/index.php
Tracy has a store in CA? Woa, what's the name of it?

Current Tank Info: 36x36x16 A.G.E. tank. Lighting: ATI Straton. Circulation: 2x Vortech MP40wQd's. Skimmer: Red Sea 300. Controller: Neptune Apex. Doser: Neptune Dos.
Unread 05/05/2014, 02:28 PM   #34
Maximus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Grandis View Post
Those chats on mIRC were great!! I've learned so much!!! Dial tone internet!!
I remember the best paper magazine ever: Aquarium Frontiers!!!!!!
I also liked Marine Fish Monthly and FAMA!
Another very good product was those AquaC skimmers!!
I've got one to run on my 125gal. to come!!
The books were so informative and full of scientific info.
Meetings were more serious, but fun at the same time.
The learning process was incredible towards the chemistry and biology aspects of the hobby.
There was less showing offs and more friendship/sharing info and organisms back then.
It seemed that everyone was heading towards a goal as one, to keep the corals at best.
The business was alive but at the same time there were no abusive/ ridiculous prices.
If there was any hard to find coral, the natural tendency was to spread frags to friends (for free!!!) so that species would be safe if something would happen to that tank.
There were not many frag tanks. The displays were full of colonies and some frags donated by friends to become colonies soon!!

Good wonderful magic times!!!

More pics please!

Grandis.
Yep, I used to chat on MIRC all the time back in the days!

Unread 05/05/2014, 09:53 PM   #35
A. Grandis
Registered Member

I have a little time only to come to the forums this week and I've promised myself I would just see the posts for a while and be quiet here. LOL!

I have to tell: you guys have no idea how much I love this thread!!
It's like coming back in time!!
I miss that so much! I feel like crying!
I felt like I stopped breading couple of time here while reading and seeing the pics.
I didn't feel like that since then.
Hope you know what I'm talking about.
Thanks very much! Please keep them coming!!!
That also makes me feel younger!!!!
Thank you!!!

Grandis.

Try HOT5s!
A. Grandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2014, 10:08 PM   #36
therman
biodiversity enthusiast

I thought he had a store. Maybe he was just hanging out in a store with Tyree...kind of warehouse-like if I remember correctly. I will admit my memory of that CA trip is a little hazy...maybe Los or Ramon remember better.

Current Tank Info: 65g mixed display 100g rubbermaid sump/prop tank, 20g refugium, 100g half cube rimless acro display, 3x 100-180g prop tanks. All powered by LED.
Unread 05/05/2014, 11:02 PM   #37
therman
biodiversity enthusiast

Because I promised pictures...sorry been a busy couple of days.

One of my favorite things about the tank, spawning mandarins:

Unread 05/05/2014, 11:21 PM   #38
therman
biodiversity enthusiast

And I miss this fish immensely

Unread 05/06/2014, 06:04 AM   #39
Carlos
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therman View Post
And I miss this fish immensely
Ha! I forgot about the "Kickass Blenny"

Current Tank Info: Custom 210 gal Reef Octopus Tank with SlimFlow overflow, IceCap 36XL Sump, Reef Octopus ELITE 200INT Skimmer, 2-Part Dosing, 3 x Giesemann VerVve, KH Guardian Alk Controller, ClariSea Roller Filter
Unread 05/06/2014, 06:07 AM   #40
Carlos
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therman View Post
I thought he had a store. Maybe he was just hanging out in a store with Tyree...kind of warehouse-like if I remember correctly. I will admit my memory of that CA trip is a little hazy...maybe Los or Ramon remember better.
I remember Ramon could not go with us so someone else took us there. I remember we hit the store and Tyre and Tracy were there waiting for us. You brought in a couple of monti frags for them and they were all over them I remember. There was not much to see at the store as they had just experienced an accident with one of the main tanks. That part of the trip was a blurr.

Oh!!! Adrianne used to work there so she gave us the tour as well. Maybe I should email her so she can chime in and remember what happened.

Unread 05/06/2014, 07:11 AM   #41
griss
RC Mod

Tim, look what you did. All these old reefers coming out of the woodwork. Good to see all you guys again.

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder
griss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2014, 07:54 AM   #42
fishinchick
Mrs. Aquaman ;)

I remember seeing Tracy Grays tank in person before the crash. Even with all the things I've seen over the years, I think back on that system, it's fish and corals and .... I'm still pretty impressed with it. Losing that would have affected me like the loss of losing a child. Probably more since the tank doesnt talk back ... or keep moving back into my house ....

I can't believe you guys are dragging me out of my horse ranch induced happyness to mess about with this reef thing again. Why.

PS: Waiting for my daughter to move out and Aquaman is going to set up the 65 again ... this time, he's got a rimless. But I'm being a ... well .... "insistent me" and making him keep the canopy on it somehow.

There's NO skool like the OLD skool

Good to see you boys are all still alive and doing well .... We are all staying out of trouble, yes?

Adrienne Longo-White

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon mixed soft/LPS
fishinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2014, 07:57 AM   #43
fishinchick
Mrs. Aquaman ;)

RIF .... The store was not so much Steve or Tracys. It belonged to a guy by the name of Andrew. He originally owned the office space Steve was in, then rented another store a few doors down. One space was the actual retail store and where he built his stands and canopies he sold, and the one Steve operated out of was simply for frags and corals being sold online, holding tanks, etc.

If I remember right, I believe eventually Andrew sold or gave Steve the store. There's some drama with someone that was supposed to be a partner with them in all that mess but I dont recall details other than he was a douchebag, I told him off (shocker) in regards to his lack of skill in reef keeping ability, said douchebag turned to Steve for support and Steve said "She's rarely wrong" and left it at that.

Kinda miss chatting with you guys ... I'm so busy these days ... but I do think back on our Friday night chats with deciphering Phillstone and Dwayne handing out rope lights and programs at the door.

Adrienne Longo-White

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon mixed soft/LPS

Last edited by fishinchick; 05/06/2014 at 08:04 AM.
fishinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2014, 08:27 AM   #44
likefish
Registered Member

just read the archive TOTM thread. WOW 400W of MH over a 40 breeder! That photo period was used with that much light?

Very impressive in its simplicity!

likefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2014, 10:19 AM   #45
therman
biodiversity enthusiast

400W of MH plus 440W of VHO

I think it was close to 12 hrs VHO, 8 or 10 MH. Might be in the Paletta book, I don't have it handy.

Unread 05/06/2014, 10:23 AM   #46
therman
biodiversity enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by likefish View Post
Very impressive in its simplicity!
I'm not sure I'd describe this as "simplicity"....also proof that a functional SPS tank doesn't have to be loaded with fancy expensive equipment

The Aquaclear added quite a bit of laminar flow and acted kind of like a sump, the 3 maxi jets on the Wavemaster added the randomness.

Lights off top down...corals still had some growing to do when this photo was taken

Unread 05/06/2014, 10:52 AM   #47
Amphiprion
Premium Member

Wow, those years were indeed good times in the hobby. In my area, it was far more niche and far less mainstream at the time. That, like most things, was both good and bad, but it was all fun nonetheless.

Tim, your tank was an inspiration every time I saw it, along with Chuck F "mtndewman's" tank and several others. I was surprised to see pics of them both resurfacing. Even today, they are still inspiring to me. Thanks for the nostalgia!

Current Tank Info: 40g breeder patch reef w/ seagrass; 2-250w XM 10K; Vortech MP40wES & MP10wES; BM Curve 7 skimmer; carbon & occasional GFO
Amphiprion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2014, 03:18 PM   #48
Maximus
Registered Member

Adrienne, long time no see!! How ya doing?

Unread 05/06/2014, 06:04 PM   #49
therman
biodiversity enthusiast

Red and blue "superman" table in the year 2000.

Unread 05/06/2014, 08:11 PM   #50
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Tim, got love that top off Not much could go wrong there That tank was amazing...i modeled my 58g SPS tank off that with the lighting...talk about some heat!

Adrienne, great to see you Say hello to Aquaman as well.

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote